Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

A Free!

Naismith is reportedly our highest earner. There is a good player in there somewhere but his signing just hasn''t worked out for a number of reasons. If the board can get him off the books I''d say they''ll grab the chance. As mentioned above, we have Wes, Pritchard, Maddison, Watkins(?) and even the Murphys for that area of the pitch. His reported transfer fee is irrelevant now.

I believe we''ll take a hit on Naismith, Jarvis & Wildschut and look to the youth. Don''t be surprised to see Klose & Howson move on too and probably some other senior players on bigger wages. I expect a big shakeup this summer. I suspect Webber has a two year plan involving the construction of a squad of younger, ''cheaper'' players who gain promotion together and consolidate their status in the top division on a relatively tight budget in comparison to other clubs. We do have the basis to achieve this and the club is attempting to put a new infrastructure in place to implement this plan. Perhaps mistakes are being learnt from? We live in hope in expectation.

Who knows what our starting 11 (and backup) will be in August! Maybe:

Rudd (AN other + Jones)

Pinto (Martin)

AN other (Martin)

AN other (Godfrey?)

AN other (Toffolo)

J Murphy (Watkins)

Dorrans (Thompson)

AN other (Tettey)

Pritchard (J Murphy)

Wes (Maddison)

Oliviera (Jerome)

Two centre-backs, a left-back and an enforcer around the midfield area. Job done!

Another legacy from the McNasty era. For all the savings he made he had a free hand to waste millions on deals like this and the loans of Mbokani and Bamford. Also remember his tenure saw the RVW come and go with virtually nil return for £8 million !

We can''t afford to give players away even if the wages are high.

If we do continue down this route it''s going to leave a massive hole in the funds a available for future incoming players.

What are we going to buy new players with?

Sell em cheap if we have too but not free.

Most Mackems I know expected relegation this season, few now expect to bounce straight back - they understand the state of their club. Steven Naismith will enjoy some days in the sun and be appreciated if he ends up there. But promotion rivals? Nope - not this time round.

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]We are letting all these players go, but we need enough funds to buy replacements [/quote]

What do you suggest then Swindon?

Agree with the sentiments of others. Bad business but may as well cut losses and free up space for a better option like Maddison

Can''t believe Sunderland will be interested again this time. He''s a year older, they''ve just been relegated and he rejected their wages offer last time.

I''ve heard a couple of our players using the phrase ''I have a contract'' in press statements, so they are the ones in the position of control. Unless a club makes us an offer, or a player requests a transfer (does that nullify their contract?), I''d expect the majority to be here.

I think he will prove his worth next season, I for one hope he stays and is made captain.

TIL 1010"

Another legacy from the McNasty era. For all the savings he made he had a free hand to waste millions on deals like this and the loans of Mbokani and Bamford. Also remember his tenure saw the RVW come and go with virtually nil return for £8 million !"

Agreed Tilly. You have to ask yourself, who benefited from all these deals? I suspect someone made a very nice return on the RVW deal.

Yeah,

Ricky and his agent made good money from it.

At the time the Wolfswinkel transfer didn''t seem that crazy - striker who had scored goals at every club he''d played for and in European competitions being sign for £7.5m.

In hindsight it was a bad deal - but nearly everyone was incredibly positive about it at the time, with some saying it was a pretty low fee for a player with such a good reputation.

Yeah,

Ricky and his agent made good money from it.

At the time the Wolfswinkel transfer didn''t seem that crazy - striker who had scored goals at every club he''d played for and in European competitions being sign for £7.5m.

In hindsight it was a bad deal - but nearly everyone was incredibly positive about it at the time, with some saying it was a pretty low fee for a player with such a good reputation.

Other clubs knew he would not work out in the PL i posted on here at the time what the PL scout ( not Norwich ) told me before we signed him

you are right in his record was excellent before he came here and i was excited about a goal scorer coming here but the Professionals knew different

Nobody ''knew'' different-you can''t know about something before it has happened. You can have ideas, thoughts, guesses and they may turn out to be right, but nobody knows in advance what is going to happen when you sign a player.

Not on a free. For a reduced fee sure, but we need to make some money with all the players we''ve let go or we''re not going to have a pot to p*** in to buy any decent replacements.

But who would want to pay a fee for him? There are minimal number of clubs who could actually afford his wages, if you add a fee to that I''m doubt there is one club out there who would interested.

I''m not entirely sure there are any clubs who''d interested without a fee to be honest, once you take his wages, length of contract and age into account.

"you are right in his record was excellent before he came here and i was excited about a goal scorer coming here but the Professionals knew different "

Bodie or Doyle?

Although both of them probably know more about football than you do.

Before we signed Naismith there was plenty of debate on here about how he would fit into our team lineup to improve the team.  There was an obvious question about whether he''d play off the striker which would make it difficult for us to have Wes in the team as well.  Or you''d end up putting Naismith or Wes out on the left wing, and we knew that wouldn''t be a great position for Wes and I saw comments quoted from Everton fans that it''s not a position where you''d want to have Naismith either (which were spot on from what we''ve seen).  Also the worry was that he wasn''t particularly quick, or strong in the air, so what would he be contributing ?  It seemed unlikely he would replace Wes in creative terms and aside from that hat-trick, he didn''t have a great goal-scoring record.

So to be fair to this messageboard, plenty of well-reasoned concerns were aired here about how useful a signing Naismith would be.  And those concerns turned out to be fully justified in that Naismith didn''t contribute much during the rest of that season, and the form of the team as a whole nose-dived.  Most of us expected he would contribute more in the Championship, and we were surprised that even at a level down, despite having more time on the ball, he failed to do well enough to justify a regular starting position.

Truth is we now have to accept it was a foolish signing by Alex Neil and we overpaid both on the transfer fee and the wages we agreed, especially the salary he''s clearly still getting after relegation.  Other clubs can look at how he''s done with us and see that he''s not done well.  I have to agree with the comment that it will probably be hard to find another club that is willing to pay his wages for the rest of his contract with us.  If we could find someone actually willing to pay a transfer fee on top, we should bite their hand off.

LDC writes: Not worried about this at all. If he wants to stay, it means his heart is in the job, if he wants to go to Sunderland, it frees up his wages. It''s win/win either way.

No LDC, wrong on both counts. If he wants to stay it will be to take the money our club foolishly contracted to pay him. If he leaves, all the transfer fee and wages to date will have been for sweet football association. It''s lose/lose either way.

Doubt he will be going to Sunderland now Moyes has left - possibly only Rangers as an option now.