Sign in to follow this  
City 2nd

A Free!

I see reports this morning that City are prepared to let Naismith

go to Sunderland on a free!

I know many supporters will not be perturbed by this, but after paying nearly 9 million £ for his services, free!

Surely not, I know there is a need to cut the wage bill, but this cannot be economically sound business after the losses surrounding RVW.

If true this business has to go down as one of the most ridiculous episodes in the whole history of the club.

The RVW saga pales into insignificance.

Besides, Naismith must be worth at least something to a few other clubs.

That little story has been knocking around a couple of days now.

He will be 31 at the start of next season, if it''s a choice between him or the likes of Pritchard, Wes or even Howson going then it would have to be Naismith.

What we paid for him is far less relevant now than what he is costing us.

But it would be very dissapointing if we got nothing for him I agree and doubt that will actually happen.

The thing is Naismith was a gamble we took to stay in the premiership, it didn''t pay off and now we are stuck with his wages which no other club will take on whilst paying a fee.

It sucks but so does life sometimes.

If he is on anything like the reported £40,000 a week, it saves us £4 million over two years and frees up space for Madison. I''m sure that they''d rather get some money if they could, but letting him go for free is better than the Lafferty situation but on a higher wage.

Find myself agreeing with Lakey here, initially thought must get be worth a couple of mill at least, but in truth he is probably highest paid at the club, and that might allow 2 new faces to come in and also gives others the chance to flourish.

The only concern in this is handing a promotion rival a player on a free. I''d not be too fussed if he went though.

I''m pretty sure he''ll go, whether on a free or for a fee. He''s costing us £2m a year in wages and how many games did he play last season? 20? 25? It''s got be more likely than not that he''ll play even less often next year. That said, if he doesn''t want to go - because no one will match his salary - he''ll be hard to shift. I think it''s common knowledge that a deal was in place for him to go to Sunderland last summer - and for more money than he''s on here - and he chose not to go.

I''d be happy to get him off the wage bill at any cost, no better than what we''ve already got and although some people see it as a positive I''m fed up with his constant moaning at refs leading to them giving the opposition the rub of any 50/50 decisions

From what Ive seen of him over the last 18 months I couldnth care less if he went to a rival. I think people are thinking of Naimsith the one who was playing in a side with Lukaku, Barkley etc not the one who we signed.

Like those that were released due to their contracts coming to an end, letting him go on a free, I feel is bad business, I''m sure someone will pay for his services 

[quote user="City 2nd"]I see reports this morning that City are prepared to let Naismith

I know many supporters will not be perturbed by this, but after paying nearly 9 million £ for his services, free!

Surely not, I know there is a need to cut the wage bill, but this cannot be economically sound business after the losses surrounding RVW.[/quote]

But the story comes from the Sun so probably just a load of rubbish as usual .................hopefully

How is this different from a couple of weeks ago when it was "reported" (made up) that we were releasing Naismith on a free?

Redmond? He went for nearer £10-12m, hardly a ''free'' and it enabled us to keep the rest of the squad which was surely the best thing at the time; it panned out differently but only with the benefit of hindsight do we know this.

Re:Naismith, it''ll be what it is - we''ll get a fee if we can, not if we can''t. The money paid out is wholly irrelevant now, it''s the future that matters and it''ll free up £££ for shoring up other areas. He''s not really needed if we think Pritchard/Wes/Maddison can do the job, and we''re also due to sign this Barnsley guy as well.

Diane wrote the following post at 2017-05-20 4:29 PM:

City 2nd wrote:
I see reports this morning that City are prepared to let Naismith

Surely not, I know there is a need to cut the wage bill, but this cannot be economically sound business after the losses surrounding RVW.

But the story comes from the Sun so probably just a load of rubbish as usual .................hopefully

Well Diane, if it comes from the Sun, that was not where I got it. It was in fact the Sunderland chronicle..........!!

Do not really know how much this will cost us or works

am i right in thinking ??

if you transfer list someone you pay their loyalty bonus in contract

i think if they ask for a transfer they forfeit that payment

so might save wages but some other payments will cost us

If true just points to the assumption that we are very restricted on budget, surely if he is on the reported £40k a week that''s a sum of 2 million a year off the books, that''s like a fee in itself given his level of impact for us.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]We like gifting players to other teams - think Redmond. Par for the course. And to a direct rival. Omnishambles.[/quote]We know you use any stick you can to beat Norwich with but you''re really scraping the barrel saying Sunderland will be a direct rival.They''re in such a mess they''re more likely to be playing in League One than the Premier League in 2018/19.

That''s a bold statement given where we are at present!

I''ll be interested to see just how much of a mess they''ll be in come August.

I''m not convinced they will be top two but they''ll be top half pushing for the top 6 like us this year. They will no doubt sell a couple of their more decent players but will have a decent squad and some money to buy no doubt.

I''m not sure what mess they are in, other than relegated.

[quote user="Indy"]That''s a bold statement given where we are at present!

I''ll be interested to see just how much of a mess they''ll be in come August.

I''m not convinced they will be top two but they''ll be top half pushing for the top 6 like us this year. They will no doubt sell a couple of their more decent players but will have a decent squad and some money to buy no doubt.

I''m not sure what mess they are in, other than relegated.[/quote]I don''t think so to be honest.On the positive side they''ll get a decent chunk of parachute payment - like we will - and they''ll get a good price for Pickford.On the negative side their other decent player and main goal threat will be leaving on a free, the fan''s hate the manager, oh, and they''re £170m in debt ( give or take the odd £20m )I''d call that a mess.

If this is indeed true, along with Wildschut signing then possibly leaving 3 months later it would show just how badly run the club has been over the last 18 months and that stems from the very top in not having anybody with a football brain on the board! That is down to the owners and nobody else as they are the ones who sort out the make up of the board!

Yes the debt is there but the owner is worth in excess of a billion by all accounts!

Funny that their debt is from a series of big money signings which have been disappointing, costing them millions, any resemblance to us?

I don''t see them in the mess you do s they will be sured up by Short and no doubt there will be some changes there, they will still have a decent budget this summer!

Still each can see what they want to.

Nope, I''ve said already, yesterday, we have some great prospects, the youth team coaching has been superb, we have a structure now in place which could yield great results in time and we''ve restructured with a guy in Webber who''s worked a miracle at Huddersfield, but I don''t care about Huddersfield I hope he can bring that success on the budget here.

But why I''m not going to do is pretend that Sunderland are in so much trouble they''ll be relegated, that might be the case, but so could we, it''s a long season to come.

Let''s wait to see our own house in order and where we are at before throwing other clubs to the third division!