Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

RIP Sir Roger Moore

A class act, from the Saint through to his years of work for unicef - demonstrating unfailing kindness, commitment to good causes and always with a self-deprecating sense sense of humour.  Great man.

I grew up watching Bond from a very early age and am still a massive Bond fan. He''s my favourite Bond, a man full of wit, charm and humility that was a proper English gentleman. Rest in peace, Roger Moore.

He was a good Bond, but many of us older types will remember him before that as Simon Templar as "The Saint" where he played an almost identical role as a suave, albeit private troubleshooter, with the fast car (Volvo -1800, reg ST 1 ), the spies....and always getting the women.  In the sixties he was a TV superstar.  The only question was to when, not if,  he would be asked to play James Bond, but for me he will always be Simon Templar first, James Bond second, Brett Sinclair third.  Very sad today, after the tragedy of last night and this. At least Sir Roger Moore lived a full life, more than the poor, mainly young people who lost their lives last night going out to enjoy themselves at a concert. 

What a gent. I can''t remember anyone having a bad word to say about him. Started off modelling knitwear and as he said to his detractors, " We''ve all got to start somewhere ".As LDC says for us early baby boomers there can only be one James Bond but he played the role longer than anyone else and his stint as Simon Templar was epic television back in the day.RIP Sir Roger.

The worst, by way of being the least believable, Bond, although hardly his fault for being miscast, and if he was as pleasant an individual as people say then that really doesn''t matter anyway. One was acting and the other was life.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]The worst, by way of being the least believable, Bond, although hardly his fault for being miscast, and if he was as pleasant an individual as people say then that really doesn''t matter anyway. One was acting and the other was life.[/quote]I liked him as Bond, mainly because I had liked him so much in his character of the Saint, he just carried the same or similar attributes into his role as Bond, but I agree he was less believable as Bond - his Saint role was more believable - the chief difficulty with Bond being his age and that he stayed in the role into his late 50''s so particularly the last few Bond films were not so convincing.  As for his character in real life, he seems to have been a person of kindness to all, which is an admirable trait - I can recommend his autobiography as a good read.

I liked him as Bond and I really (probably because of my age at the time) liked The Persuaders.