Sign in to follow this  
King Klose

Daniel Farke

looks like the Unnamed German turns out to be Farke very happy with this

out of the two front runners of Rosler / Farke he is far more exciting

Wagner was never going to happen

i like the fact this guy as faith in youth something we will have to have to rebuild

We''re all agreed that our defence needs a complete overhaul, but of our midfielders and strikers, who is capable of implementing ''gegenpress''? Jerome, Naismith, Pritchard?

Are players like Oliveira, Tettey, Howson, Dorrans et al likely to be able to learn how to play this way?

Also, is gegenpress just a German word for chasing after the ball like a headless chicken once you''ve lost it?

[quote user=" Badger"]Yes thanks for the info Bethnal - exciting times.ZLF - I''d never heard of gegenpress before- thanks. For any others interested.https://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2015/12/what-is-the-gegenpress-and-how-does-it-work.html[/quote]

Thanks for the link Badger... Informative post, didn''t read any reference to headless chicken style football in there 😉

If interested in the gegenpress see this utube video - 3 mins - which explains it well (to me anyway - I''d never heard of it until ZLF mentioned it earlier in the thread)Here

[quote user="ZLF"]Like all of us I know very little about Farke. What I do know is that Dortmund have an excellent record in identifying and developing excellent coaches.

From the little I have read so far the most encouraging feature is that while Dortmund made no effort to keep Wagner (who was my choice, along with Torsten Lieberknecht) they were desperate to keep Farke who they rated as a possible Tuchel replacement. That is high praise and hopefully excellent news for us.

Encouragingly his preferred 4141 approach will suit Howson, but makes the CDM role the most pivotal signing of the summer.

But other than Jerome who will successfully learn to gegenpress, can wes learn new tricks at his age?[/quote]Like ZLF and Bethnal, I am extremely enthused by this appointment and really fancy our chances next season.With reference to the 4141 formation – does anyone know what variant of 4141 he prefers? A ''traditional'' 4141 could be very defensive – looking at last season''s squad, something like:-----------------RuddyPinto Martin Klose Dijks-----------------TetteyJosh Howson Dorrans Pritchard----------------JeromeWith this variant, we would pack the midfield, be tough to break down and look to counter. However, compare it to Manchester City''s variant on the 4141, which is more on the front foot:----------------------------BravoZabaleta Stones Otamendi Clichy-----------------------FernandinhoSterling De Bruyne Yaya Toure Silva---------------------------AgueroAn NCFC analogue for this formation next season might be (notwithstanding new arrivals):-----------------RuddPinto Martin Klose New LB----------------DorransJacob Howson Hoolahan Pritchard----------------OliveiraI would imagine he''ll be more inclined towards the latter, really taking the game to teams. However, we''ll need to be very astute defensively if we play a formation this attacking, as we were extremely vulnerable to quick, direct breaks and set pieces last season. Getting quick, strong and intelligent defenders (and a DM better than anyone we have currently) into the squad is a must.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Relieved we''ve avoided Rosler. Monk too ambitious for us. Let''s hope Webber has the power to remove the new coach in a timely manner if he is failing. Let''s face it - we wouldn''t be in the midst of our fire sale omnishambles had the board acted to remove Neil earlier.[/quote]You know what Highland, i am beginning to think if Norwich appointed Antonio Conte as head Coach with Mauricio Pochettino as his number two you would still be posting misery and bile on here.

Let''s not get ahead of ourselves (along with some of the dailys.)

This from the news click at the bottom is a slight dampener unless there''s a positive update anybody can dig up.

"The 40-year-old is reportedly in discussions with the Canaries to replace Alex Neil at Carrow Road but has also been linked with Bayer Leverkusen and Darmstadt.

“No. I have no firm career plan in my pocket,” he said, after rejecting the chance to stay with the eight-time German champions. “It is clear that the next stage will be in the absolute top spot with a first team. I have already said that. What is also certain is that I will only do things that I am 100pc convinced of and that I have a 100pc desire to do. I do not know where and how that will be. I wanted to conclude the talks with BVB. And now I will look at what might suit me.

“Yes, there are already one or other (possibilities). The talks are now underway. Concrete is still nothing. We’ll see. Sometimes things develop very quickly, sometimes it takes longer.”

[quote user="Woodman"]We''re all agreed that our defence needs a complete overhaul, but of our midfielders and strikers, who is capable of implementing ''gegenpress''? Jerome, Naismith, Pritchard? Are players like Oliveira, Tettey, Howson, Dorrans et al likely to be able to learn how to play this way? Also, is gegenpress just a German word for chasing after the ball like a headless chicken once you''ve lost it?[/quote]

I thought we did it pretty effectively in the playoff final against Boro.  One of my biggest frustrations with AN was that he seemed to forget how to play that way the next season.

Highland needs to get off his high horse and get into the real world.

I''m still not 100% convinced we''ll get this guy, as there''s Bundesliga sides after him but, given this, if we do it has to be seen as a bit of a coup. Whether it''ll work out, who knows, but it is far better to try and fail at something ''different'' than not try at all.

Hopefully we can pull this off, it would be gutting to get this far, lose out and then have to fall back on Rosler.

Also, just fyi, AN''s preferred formation before he came here was 4-1-4-1. Then he played almost exclusively a 4-2-3-1 here once he started working with the players so there''s no guarantee Farke would use the same formation he has for a totally different group of players here.

OK, my headless chicken comment was a bit flippant and I agree we should know how to do it, but I''m not convinced we have the right players in our midfield and striking department (Naismith and Jerome aside) who are equipped for this high energy style of play.

Well 9 days ago i was told about this German coach we were after

we had talks with Rosler and then it came about it was between him and this German that i could not get named

so all along it has been this German coach i would say the reports are correct and this is the man they were after

If it is this guy, you''d hope it has indeed been brewing for a while, and he has looked into our squad to see what''s what and that he''s had some input into us getting Marley Watkins in. The suggestion does seem that he''ll see out his contract (end June?), presumably a deal would be done to bring that forward, otherwise he would have to work pretty fast to get any new style/regime in place for 5th August.

Don''t read too much into the 4-1-4-1. I believe that is just taken from Transfermarket.com and they don''t really cover U23 games, so it isn''t really based on anything.

I saw his team play a couple of times this season - both times he had 3 at the back. But as he job was to prepare players to play for the Dortmund first team, who use a variety of formations but often 3 at the back, I would imagine that formation has been dictated to him from the first team coaches.

I would imagine Farke will base his tactics on the players available too him.

TalkSPORT ‏Verified account @talkSPORT 20 minutes ago

Norwich City are set to appoint Borussia Dortmund''s reserve team manager Daniel Farke as their new boss

ITV News Anglia‏ Verified account @itvanglia 24 minutes ago

Norwich City set to appoint first-ever foreign manager

Looks like it could be happening ?

It is definitely happening.

The interview the PinkUn are quoting in a German paper was from after Dortmund U23''s last game which was on Saturday. It seems since that interview and yesterdays leaking of the news he has agreed terms with Norwich.

Any further hold up is Norwich attempting to sign further members of Dortmund''s backroom staff to come along with Farke. Also, Farke''s contract is until June 30th, so Norwich might still have to arrange a small amount of compensation to get him working from day 1.

[quote user="Diane"]TalkSPORT ‏Verified account @talkSPORT 20 minutes ago

Norwich City are set to appoint Borussia Dortmund''s reserve team manager Daniel Farke as their new boss

ITV News Anglia‏ Verified account @itvanglia 24 minutes ago

Norwich City set to appoint first-ever foreign manager

Looks like it could be happening ?[/quote]Does playing for the Republic of Ireland make Hughton a foreign manager? 

Dont be so grumpy Waveney, give the man a chance and judge him and Webber on results

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Don''t read too much into the 4-1-4-1. I believe that is just taken from Transfermarket.com and they don''t really cover U23 games, so it isn''t really based on anything.

I saw his team play a couple of times this season - both times he had 3 at the back. But as he job was to prepare players to play for the Dortmund first team, who use a variety of formations but often 3 at the back, I would imagine that formation has been dictated to him from the first team coaches.

I would imagine Farke will base his tactics on the players available too him.[/quote]Thanks as ever for the insight, Bethnal. This offers up the question – what do you perceive to be the most appropriate formation for the players at our disposal? Three at the back would offer more support for Martin and Klose (if he stays), but we''d need at least two more centre backs on the books to make it viable (as well as Dijks or another obvious LWB to complement Pinto). I''d love to see a variant of Chelsea''s 3-4-3, something along the lines of:---------------------Rudd/new GK-------------------------------------new CB----Martin----Klose--------------Pinto----Howson----Thompson-------Dijks/new LWB-------Jacob---------Oliveira------Pritchard-------Subs: Rudd/new GK, another new CB, Godfrey, Dorrans, Hoolahan, Josh, Jerome (or Morris, or new striker). Maddison out on loan for another year, try to ship out Tettey, Naismith, Jarvis and Wildschut. Obviously we won''t be able to ship out all those players, and one or two more might leave and a few more will arrive, but we could potentially look to promote a few youngsters into the first team squad – Efete, Adams, Middleton, Cantwell, Ashley-Seal? Plenty of variables at this stage, obviously, but just thinking off the bat here.

Have a listen to this interview today with Rob Butler and a chap who''s followed Borrusia Dortmund for 30 years, very encouraging

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p053r3q7

Capital letters: PLEASE STOP MOANING AND GIVE HIM A CHANCE! I just cannot understand people moaning , before the guy has had a go ... We didn''t know how Lambert would fare as a manager and I wasn''t thrilled to bits when Walker was appointed either! Admittedly I was very young then and I thought we would surely appoint a very well known manager to succeed Stringer...not an appointment from within...

He''s been succesfull at BVB , which means he must be worth a bet!

[quote user="lake district canary"] [{] You need to look to the future Waveney and stop living in the past. You know it makes sense. 

[/quote]

Lakey...don''t try reasoning with Waveney... ;-)

Have no ideas on what tactics Norwich might deploy or who will play as you have to assume there will be at least 5 or 6 new players at Norwich before the close of the window - potentially before the first game kicks off if Norwich can act quickly.

The only real clue we have so far is Marley Watkins, who can play wide, which might suggest still playing with wide attackers. Although also heard he can play down the centre, so that doesn''t really give much away.

3 at the back is quickly becoming the new ''in'' thing - with Chelsea and Arsenal both using it. Wouldn''t be surprised if it is something Norwich try to utilise next season.

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]He''s been succesfull at BVB [/quote]bu he hasnt has he!he''s been in charge of their u23s, which is the same logic as dortmund appointing dmitri halajko

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]He''s been succesfull at BVB [/quote]bu he hasnt has he!he''s been in charge of their u23s, which is the same logic as dortmund appointing dmitri halajko [/quote]In your head, maybe. Applying that logic implies that you believe Dortmund to be a club of a similar stature to Norwich. We''re talking about one of the world''s biggest and best clubs, with an outstanding record of nurturing and developing young talent, as well as employing some of the most progressive and exciting tactics in world football. Give the bloke a chance, perhaps?

It is really rather stupid not to give the guy a chance - you could get the best ''name'' out there and it turn to crap, or go with an up-and-coming and it work out: the fact is there''s no guarantees whoever you go with.

It is a little odd that Webber''s gone precisely the same route as at Huddersfield, but it worked out well for them and Dortmund is a great club. It does very much suggest the sort of style we''ll try for, which is good football and in keeping with our tradition.

[quote user="iron_stan"][quote user="ROBFLECK"]He''s been succesfull at BVB [/quote]bu he hasnt has he!he''s been in charge of their u23s, which is the same logic as dortmund appointing dmitri halajko [/quote]Why would Dortmund appoint the U23 manager at Leicester City?