Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Remi Matthews

Its a hard decision as its unfair to keep both him & Rudd at the club - we have seen a fair bit of Rudd but hardly anything of Matthews.

Does he look like he could be out number 1? If so I would then sell Rudd to let him develop his career

He hasn''t had anything serious yet. His handling etc looks decent, and he can kick a ball into the next postcode.

May be a tad optimistic for a 23 yr old to be No 1 choice for a promotion chasing Champ team, but looks ok to be on our books/in the 1st team squad

Don''t tell me he''s going to become the next Lafferty/Bennett/Becchio - "he can''t do any worse...".

2nd leg is under way. 6 mins (according to BBC text): "Tony Andreu makes a dash to the near post and connects firmly with his right boot but his shot is kept out brilliantly by Remi Matthews in the Accies goal. Terrific reactions from the big English keeper, getting down low, with players impeding his line of sight."

maybe ready for some Championship football by August. Matthews, that is.

Seems to have been a key reason for them retaining their status in the SPL. Must be good for his confidence. Lets see if NCFC can avoid knocking it out him by giving him a deal to suit!

maybe ready for some Championship football by August. Matthews, that is.

Thought I would have a look at the comments on Matthews over on Accies World. It''s not as positive as I had hoped/expected:

Postby redandwhite1874 » Tue May 16, 2017 7:44 pm

Woods is the best keeper and for me Remi doesn''t do enough, no important saves; and is far too hesitant in terms of coming from or staying on his line.

Postby judgeflash » Tue May 16, 2017 10:40 pm

first goal looked like a cross from outside the area and Remi is lobbed for the 2nd week in a row, despite being 2 yards off his line, they also had a freak goal when the ball hit the post and cam eback off Remi.

Postby redandwhite1874 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:12 pm

Remi is not the best keeper we have and again comes off his line at the wrong times and stays on his line at the wrong times.

Postby accies1874 » Sat May 13, 2017 4:14 pm

what fucking happened for their goal? Went in in slow motion, and Matthews was nowhere.

Postby Stevie Clarke » Thu Apr 06, 2017 11:11 am

I don''t know what folk are basing the criticism of Matthews on. From the highlights up on pie and Bovril, Matthews does nothing wrong apart from the miscue I mentioned earlier. The one at around 5.40, he has about five players jumping in front of him but he has to try to punch it. Very difficult. I thought he had a good game but I''d rather Woods. He''s our keeper and has been very competent. Bigger physically too. Matthews doesn''t look 6ft 4 btw and is thinner than Woods.

http://www.acciesworld.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=867&p=11725&hilit=matthews#p11725

Only five people stated a preference, but no one picked Remi.

by Yummy Fur » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:42 pm

Having Remi Matthews back should be huge for as good a shot stopper as Woods is he is constantly glued to his line and having a keeper who is confident in coming for crosses will help improve an admittedly shaky defence.

At the same age, Declan Rudd had a unanimously successful season at League One level with Preston. People develop at different ages but I think at this stage it is unrealistic to think that Matthews is ready to be number 1, or that he is a better ''keeper than Rudd at this stage,