Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

A gamble worth taking?

This appointment is the biggest gamble the club has ever taken.A unknown coach from Germany with no experience of championship football. A totally different way of playing will have to be employed by the squad, pressing high up the pitch will require fitness levels not seen before.Can the current squad play that way,no so players will be brought in who can. It may take several seasons to get the squad needed to play this way,parachute payments spent,frustrated fans seeing no progress. But I like the klopp way of playing and look forward to seeing it at carrow rd.

I think we are better now than last season

We have webber who knows English leagues for players

And Farke who knows German league players

I would argue that the German under 23 league has better players than most Scottish clubs or at least players with potential

So when you think back to Alex Neil who only had experience of Hamilton and seemed to buy players but not build a team this set up looks a lot stronger to me

Webber can build a team as Huddersfield proved without big name players

Naismith proves 8 mil does not win you the league but a team spirit will get you further than individual players

So I think we have a good mixture of a young hungry European head coach and the brains to pull it together in webber

Exactly Swindon SHOULD be....there were certainly signs last season that the team weren''t up to the physicality and stamina required in the championship.

That was another fault with the entire coaching team last year (along with poor acquisitions and tactics). It''s another area that Farke and his team are going to have to do a lot of work and where I expect some players won''t be able (want) to meet their expectations.

I was recently talking to a guy who plays golf about the four stages of learning, and I think it is applicable here.

Stage 1 : unconscious incompetence

- you don''t know what your mistakes/

weaknesses are

Stage 2 : Conscious incompetence

- you know that you have weaknesses and you

set out to change things

Stage 3 : Conscious competence

- you know what you have to change and you do

the new things, but you have to think about it

Stage 4 : unconscious competence

- you do the new things without thinking

At the beginning of last season we were at stage 1, but gradually realised that we were at stage 2. We are at the very beginning of stage 3 and stage 4 may take some time to achieve, and then you move up a division, and you are back to stage 1 or 2.

I guess that what I am trying to say is that we must give this time. We have made some very exciting decisions to get us to stage 3 and now we must be patient.

This tenuous comparison to Klopp needs to be put to bed quickly or people will be disappointed. Farke himself stated that his style of play is much closer to Tuchel''s than Klopp''s.

Whether Tuchels or klopp style, fitness will be a factor, players will need to change to make this work.A good number of this squad will struggle.

This tenuous comparison to Klopp needs to be put to bed quickly or people will be disappointed. Farke himself stated that his style of play is much closer to Tuchel''s than Klopp''s.

i Agree i heard him say this BUT i think it could well be saying that so not labelled the next Klopp / Wagner and adding pressure

the reason why i think that is he said in the next breath he likes possession and to keep the ball

well for that to happen we need to press high to win the ball back ASAP like a liverpool or Barcelona style

now if we were to sit back and not press high when the other team has the ball we would not get possession so quick and then they could dictate the game

so i may well be wrong as Frake did say he was not same style as Klopp but i think we might have seen a smart coach talking for the first time and see high press game when without the ball

I do not really see this as as much of a gamble as the appointment of Paul Lambert was, nor the appointments of both Neil Adams and Alex Neil.

Perhaps it is because we are tapping in to the German footballing philosophy which has been so very successful at international and club level for a long time now.

Frank Lampard had some praise for the German "systems" in the Sunday Times today, particularly praising the way the youngsters are indoctrinated into the ethic from day one.

I will paraphrase/post his comments when I get the time, unless another can do it first.

The Charlton Model, the Swansea Model, the Hamilton Accademicals Model (eh?) and now .... the German Model.

Frank Lampard presumably speaking from observation not experience.

"They (the Germans) put a reliance on education at the same time as developing them as footballers."

"German players seemed to have more to draw on as people than their English counterparts with greater all-round resources that help them navigate tournaments and pressure points."

"It''s huge how you handle yourselves off the pitch. We can educate not just maths and science but life education and these are big things that relate on the pitch. You see it how certain players hold themselves."

In other words less time in the night clubs and more time in the classroom.

I suppose this can be seen as a direct dig by Lampard at the very core of our game which often gives the impression of over-paid, under-educated, night-clubbing morons who spend as much time in the scandal pages of the red-tops as they do on the training ground.

I suspect there is some exaggeration involved (and the Martin''s and the Ruddy''s belie his generalisations) but we cannot fail to see where he is coming from. He did say "certain players."

As far as NCFC and Weber/Farke are concerned perhaps we can look forward to such a philosophy being applied to our youth system (and even to the youngsters who have broken though) with a resulting increase in the success rate and in accord with our academy status.

John Bond came in after Ron Saunders and changed our style of football overnight. From a get the ball forward quick as the first priority to if you can''t give it someone in a better position, then keep it.

It can be done. I even think that Irvine had the team playing far more composed than Neil.