Sign in to follow this  
Splendid Rush

Alan Brazil and Ray Wilkins on TalkS**te

They''ve just been discussing the Farke appointment.

They seemed really put out that we went for a foreign coach when there''s British coaches out there ''just sitting waiting for a job''. They mentioned Tim Sherwood and Alex McLeish! As if we''d want either of those.

No mention of the fact this was our first ever foriegn boss and that our last five managers were Gunn, Lambert, Hughton, Adams and Neil. All young British managers that we''d given a chance.

Wilkins, who was driving this, is a Chelsea fan ffs. When was the last time they had a British manager?

There are a few presenters and guests worth listening to on talksport but generally it''s full of shouty know-nothings who don''t have a clue what they are talking about. All Brazil and his co hosts talk about is drinking and gambling, all very amateurish and irrelevant really.

I agree Gordon.

There''s so much spouted on there that''s completely inaccurate. Especially that Moose character. I have no idea how he''s in work. He is useless.

I stopped listening to Adrian Durham years ago after he and Darren Gough were making predictions. Gough went with a 3-3 and Durham said ''I was going to say 3-3 but we can''t have the same prediction, I''ll go 4-0''. That''s not a prediction, that''s just saying numbers out loud. How could he possibly have gone from thinking it would be a high scoring draw to a whitewash?

You''d get more sense from listening to a couple of p*ssed up tramps talking in the park.

Apples

Absolute dinosaurs who are completely out of touch.

Giggs, Sherwood and McLeish? Is that all they could come up with as suggestions of British managers that Norwich should have looked at?

Giggs has as much experience of the Championship as Farke and has no managerial experience outside a few games as caretaker for Man U. I also doubt people such as McLeish would accept working under a Sport Director.

There is a reason British coaches are increasingly not getting chances, and it is because British coaching is falling behind that of our European counterparts. When was the last time a British coach did anything different or radical? The level of teaching provided by British coaches is poor and although the FA are slowly catching on, it isn''t quick enough.

Wilkins says that British coaches aren''t getting a chance abroad - this is largely because many don''t dare travel abroad. There are some who have, and are doing well - the NZ coach who was linked to Norwich is a great example of someone who took a risk and is seeing it pay off.

Brazil and Wilkins are saying ''British coaches aren''t getting a chance'' but what they really mean is ''British coaches should just be given jobs because they are British''. Sorry guys, it doesn''t work like that, it is about talent - and the Brits have been found wanting time after time.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Brazil and Wilkins are saying ''British coaches aren''t getting a chance'' but what they really mean is ''British coaches should just be given jobs because they are British''. Sorry guys, it doesn''t work like that, it is about talent - and the Brits have been found wanting time after time.[/quote]Absolutely this BYG.I''m personally extremely pleased that Webber HAS thought outside the box and looked past the usual suspects, and has instead identified a highly respected, up and coming coach, with a defined way of playing, has a commitment to good football, and who is leaving a top 15 side in Europe to come here, and yet still has a clear respect for our club and fans.I''ll always argue that us winning the World Cup when we did was one of the worst things possible for the overall development of football in England, which has lead to us often being stuck behind the times and why now it''s increasingly managers/coaches from outside the UK that most clubs are looking towards, because they have the ability to go beyond the restrictive viewpoint many homegrown coaches possess and can make significant changes that you wouldn''t see under a Pardew or McLeish for example.Imagine if Hodgson had been appointed, who genuinely thinks that we''d have seen anything other than some form of 4-4-2 (or variant thereof)?As you say BYG, it HAS to be about talent, and until more British coaches can demonstrate both this talent, and the flexibility to take on-board new methods and approaches (like many other top sides in other countries have), then they will continue to lag behind and be overlooked in favour of other options that CAN do what is needed.

Totally agree with this. The names spouted are all unproven or managers/coaches i wouldn''t want near this club. Barring the Cowley brothers, the level of British Coaches coming through really doesn''t excite me at all

It also proves that they are completely out of touch with anyone and anything outside the Premiership. Disappointed with Wilkins though, I used to think he spoke well about football in general - but I know most people think he''s become a football dinosaur. Durham and Gough support Peterborough and Barnsley, but they only ever talk about Premiership teams.

Its all about audience figures of course. It''ll be interesting to see how they evolve now that they have EFL games on live commentary, they''re going to have to talk about the Championship more to drum up interest somehow.

As if anyone would get worked up by Alan Brazil! Lowest common denominator host on a lowest common denominator station. Laugh it off... [:D]

The shame is that there''s obviously few decent British candidates to choose from - Monk was mentioned by the idiot pair, and may have been a good candidate but was at Leeds when we recruited.

In any case, they can just burger off, we should do what''s best for the club.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]We should have waited for Monk.

Happy now Mr Apples?[/quote]It''s not a debate until someone disagrees with you.

[quote user="Trevor Hockeys Beard"]We should have waited for Monk.

Happy now Mr Apples?[/quote]No we shouldn''t.

If you know nothing about football TalkSport is a dream. Listen to one of the guys opinions on there, formulate your own as the complete opposite and you won''t be far wrong.

Worked for me on here for years!

Considered front runners for the Leeds job.

Same old faces.

Even Wee Alex is now firmly seated on the merry-go-round.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/vote-who-should-replace-garry-monk-as-leeds-united-head-coach-1-8563033

(Sorry cannot do a clicky on my Chromebook.)

I would not have any of them over our new chap, as risky as his appointment might seem to be.

P.S. Wilkins thinks like he played ... sideways. Brazil is an over-weight boozer who hates Norwich.

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]Considered front runners for the Leeds job.

Same old faces.

Even Wee Alex is now firmly seated on the merry-go-round.

http://www.yorkshireeveningpost.co.uk/sport/football/leeds-united/vote-who-should-replace-garry-monk-as-leeds-united-head-coach-1-8563033

(Sorry cannot do a clicky on my Chromebook.)

I would not have any of them over our new chap, as risky as his appointment might seem to be.

P.S. Wilkins thinks like he played ... sideways. Brazil is an over-weight boozer who hates Norwich.[/quote]

Crikey Leeds fans are deluded

"Mauro Silva - Set to leave Hull City and likely to join Porto or a Premier League club but may be tempted by the stature of Leeds"

and Ranieri''s on that list!

Strange how Talksport don''t moan about Chelsea and Man Utd and their foreign managers/coaches ?

Good footballers in their day, but their recent history of lengthy driving bans suggests that alcohol has affected their judgement and their opinions on football matters should be given little air time.

Ray ''it''s all gone a bit brexit'' Wilkins... English jobs for the English! He''s Chelski through and through and they are seriously foreign when it comes to British clubs. Sherwood gor a chance and was not good enough and outed as a to55er. He also went to Swindon and the same has happened. The rest of Wilkins list is tosh so lets all just laugh at tweedle dee and tweedle dumb shall we.

They are some possible young british managers out there but as others have already eloqeuntly pointed out we have tried that route.

Yet my british list does not include failed has beens who happen be best media mates as their list suggests, but look at the likes of the cowley brothers, heckingbottom, Jim Bentley, darrel clarke - all with the potential to upgrade and a hunger to succeed - attributes missing from Sherwood, McLeish and the reticent Giggs (who seems to think he is better than managing outside the prem).

And why steam in to us for this little britisher issue when the prem has highlighted just how low quality british coaching quality is, if it was good it would be an english replacment for wenger and guardiola would still be in germany.

I would take any of the managers I have listed before teh egos brazil has listed, but am happy with Farke who is just as risky but has a little potential to be something very special

Ray Wilkins is a convicted drink driver, and whilst not going into that, when he was caught, he was driving a merc , and I would presume a large expensive one.

He obviously brought that, after some research taking into account, performance, value for money, and the like. Other British vehicles would have been available that would have got him from A to B just as well, although may have taken longer,not had the same style, etc.

So he decided German,l.

We have done the same due diligence with Farke, weighed up the options and decided he is what we want at this moment in time, and gone down the German route too.

So I would ask Mr Wilkins why Merc and not Ford,( not wholly British owned I know) and the answer is the same for our manager.