Sign in to follow this  
lappinitup

Steven Naismith

"Rangers have been installed as the favourites to Norwich

striker Steven Naismith this summer, according to the latest bookmakers’

odds.

Sky Bet have priced the Scottish giants at 7/4 to recapture the proven forward, 30, before the summer transfer window shuts.

The

betting company have made Rangers favourites ahead of relegated Premier

League clubs Sunderland, who are priced 3/1, and Hull City, who are a

more distant 9/1, while Middlesbrough and Burnley are both 12/1."

Good move for everyone if it happens but it seems too good to be true.

https://thisisfutbol.com/2017/05/blogs/scottish-premier-league/rangers-favourites-to-sign-naismith/

I dont want him to go ut guess if he''s one of the biggest earners, we need to get his wages off our bill to get others in.

If Rangers are favourites to sign him what do people see us getting for him?

He''s worth about 10 bob but we''ll settle for 5 bob

Another 8 million down the drain

I understand the wages dilemna and also concur with the fact that he has not always lived up to expectations, but if we are committed to a serious push for promotion next season then surely a fully up for it Steven Naismith would be a useful cog in the wheel. He might surely score some useful goals.

He put in some good performances towards the end. Nobody can deny that .... pain in the bum that he might be.

It''s a long season ahead.

Having said all that then a bid of say £4m might well be in the better interests of the club, it''s a real fence sitter of a problem.

I would not want us to give him away. That would be rubbing salt into the wounds and if he helps us to promotion, as he might well do, then his wages would be worth it.

Oh I don''t know..

I just don''t know.

Shouldn''t the new coach be involved in the decision as well.

I really don''t know. I suppose it''s down to finances then.

Cant see Rangers spending any more than about £2m on a player, and then i doubt they could afford the sort of wages Naismith would be on, don''t think they could afford more than 10k a week, that would be somewhere in the region of a 75% pay cut.

Yes LC.

Those factors have led me to eliminate Rangers, but you never know they remain a massive club despite their set-backs and have clawed their way back.

They must have had some funding.

Naismith played 103 times in the Premier League for Everton and scored 18 goals for them whilst often from the bench and never as the main striker.

At 30 he is not as past it as some seem to think (think Daryll Murphy) so, fully taking into account the market these days, he is , imo, an asset worth something either in the market or as a contributor to our push next season (which might be seen as the last chance for now of City getting promotion due to the loss of parachutes.)

Other clubs are reportedly showing an interest.

That sure was a last throw of the dice by Mad McNally luring him with an offer of £50k per week .... if indeed that is the true figure.

The odds shown only suggest where he might go should he leave, they in no way suggest that he''s actually leaving...tho if he does leave and it''s to Rangers I doubt there''d be much of a fee.

As to the cost to-date, it is largely irrelevant as a sunk cost - obviously it may have been better spent elsewhere but it''s only the future costs that we should be looking at.

Another way to look at the situation is, we foregoe say a £2m transfer fee which the buying club can then put towards his salary at the rate of £1m per season.

We also have to think about whether there is any add ons to his transfer fee that we may be able to avoid if we can transfer him to another club.

It not just wages and employers national insurance contributions that we hope to save over the next two seasons.

Should he leave CR I do not see that he will be sold to any championship rival, and Scotland would be his destination. (Remember, he could have gone to Sunderland in the January window, he didn''t!). It''s not about how much NCFC can get for him, if no club is going to match his salary, he is under contract, and he will not go anywhere.

The only other way to get rid would be a free........!

By suggesting that he should not be sold to a Championship rival C2 you are confirming the fact that Naismith can make a decent impact on the pitch. It''s a back handed compliment to a player you talk about getting "rid" of.

(No criticism meant here as there is a decent argument in favour of unloading his wages.)

I am beginning to see it in a different way.

Admittedly it''s a difficult one but on balance I would rather he be kept at Carrow Road to play his part than be given away.

If it''s just the wages that should be taken into account when deciding his future then that is wrong, imo. We have shed some big earners already and the wages/Naismith situation is exactly what the parachutes are implemented for.

Of course it will be up to Wagner and the new coach to weigh up the options, but I would hope that finances are not paramount in their decision making.

As I have said before SN could well be a more than useful player next season in view of the vital need for promotion (I am not a long-termist style, build for the future type person ... things can change too quickly and players come and go for all sorts of reasons.)

For sure there are more than a few decent rivals for his position in the squad, but it will be a long hard season when injuries, suspensions and loss of form will take their toll. Besides the player has previously built up a good reputation as an impact sub at Everton and would always justify a place on the bench at the least in my book.

I also fancy a bit of a cup run this coming season and if so we will need to be well stocked with class. A decent cup run can be lucrative.

I do not feel that at this moment in time NCFC are in a position whereby they should consider giving a proven Premier League player away for free.

A decent offer might change my view as the funds could be used to further strengthen areas of need.

Noone in Scotland can afford his deal even if we gave him a free. His transfer ranks along with wolfwinkle as one of our worst bits of business in recent years. If we are really lucky one of the promoted clubs may take him off our hands but I doubt it.

I still get the feeling that if he stays next season then he''ll be a massive player for us. After Neil''s departure his performances improved considerably, so if we can keep him happy and settled in the team then we may just have a player on our hands who can drive the team forward to promotion.

"You must have been watching a different player to me then as he was average at best."

He''s put in some influential performances, especially of late.

Probably the type of player to be rated quite highly by some or not at all by others.

The Everton fans loved him and Alex Neil was clearly entranced by the man.

Never worth the fee we forked out or his wages though.

Having spent this much to get him here and play him so far, I''d be tempted to keep him and see how he performs under our new management. If Farke is as good as he''s meant to be, then he will get the best out of players like Naismith and get them ticking. You can''t doubt his talent, he has performed at a high level for Everton and his country in the past, no reason he can''t do that at Norwich.

Plus having Naismith, Hoolahan, Pritchard and the Murphy''s to fill the attacking positions we''ve got a cracking mix of experience and youth there.

Naismith is one of those players who you have to do a cost/benefit analysis on. If he is on a reported £40k a week, does he bring enough to justify that? Or could we get two players for positions of need out of his wages?

I fall on the side of let him go- he''s had some good games this season but I don''t see the job he does as irreplaceable.

Does Mr Naismith wish to leave NCFC and relocate somewhere in England or North of the border?.......Or, is Mr Naismith happy to remain here?........

Anyone know of his current footballing career desire?

hampton canary wrote the following post at 2017-05-27 1:34 PM:

You must have been watching a different player to me then as he was average at best.

Who wasn''t? The league position suggests they all were.

And Broadstairs, I totally concur I don''t want to see him leave either, he is an educated footballer. My point was that it''s very possible if NCFC want to unload him it will be on a free wherebye his agent can negotiate a deal that equates to what he receives now in respect of signing on fees and salary.

For me, it comes down to a simple case of whether or not his performances match up to what we pay for them.

Between him and Klose, it''s reasonable to assume that that we''re paying out close to 70-80k per week for two players that didn''t even come close to hitting the 3 POTS spaces.

Could we do better with that 70k? I would say so.

I think if a club our size is paying 40k ( a guess ) a week on Naismith he as to be our best performing player like hucks when he came here he was worth the top money as he was our top player

he has to play 7 /10 most weeks for him to be worth that if not it would be better for the club to get 4 x 10k players or 2x 20 k

i do not think he is a 7/10 player most games

problem is to release him would cost massive money to pay up his contract for no return

trying to sell him lies a problem who wants him and can afford his wages

its a problem the club needs to sort out with a little luck someone will buy him for 3 mil and we can save the wages and move on

2 years left on a big deal and the wrong side of 30. If we are hoping to recoup any of what we paid and free up some wages, now is the time to do it. We should be able to pull a decent fee out of Rangers too.

He would be a useful player next year, but I''d rather invest his value into our back line. I feel the young lads are more than capable of filling his shoes.

[quote user="Mickdundee"]He''s one of the players who would fit a pressing game

Far better than he gets credit for[/quote]This ^. Furthermore, Naismith is one of the few players we currently have who is already familiar with and understands (from his time at Everton) the dynamics of "the positional game", as witness his intelligent off-the-ball work and his cajoling of less positionally alert colleagues. I suspect Webber and Farke will consider him a valuable asset to the squad during this transitional period so I would expect him to stay unless finances dictate otherwise.

"Influential?" (then a baby face.)

Yes.

Leeds 3 Norwich 3. (penultimate game of the season?)

Just one example:-

"Naismith stunned the vocal home crowd in the 28th minute when he gathered Alex Pritchard’s slip pass to crash a magnificent 25-yard shot past the despairing dive of Green into the top corner."

This was the highlight of his all-round contribution that day and goals tend to influence games.

Unfortunately he was again to influence proceedings by getting himself sent off in the 89th. minute of that game..

I''d forgotten, and think others might have done, that he won''t be available (even from the bench) for the first two games of the next season as a result of this, either for us or whoever he might end up with.

I see the Rangers link appears to be gathering some momentum.

cant see it, other than if we need to offload him due wages, Rangers want him and Naismith is happy to take a significant cut in wages! Could be that NCFC terminate his contract with mutual consent to help him move, who knows.

I can''t see him having any impact in this division next season, I''d much rather see Pritchard or Maddison given his game time next year, look forward not backwards, got rid of last seasons flops, AN and Moxey, start fresh with youth.

It is being reported in an Ibrox publication that he wants to relocate to Scotland for family reasons. If this is true, it makes very little sense to stand in his way.