Sign in to follow this  
Craig Brown

DOHERTY CAN BECOME A HERO

Well after going to a 16,000 crowd at carrow road for the clash with Northampton. I was in for a pleasant surprise Gary Doherty was absolutely outstanding for me he was winning everything in the air, he won all the physical battles with Northampton''s strikers. Now the question now is can he maintain this kind of standard performance? Well for me i think that ever since Doherty joined from Tottenham that he could do a job for Norwich he is tall, not the quickest i would compare him to the likes of Malky Mackay in as much that he dominates the physical battles, and i don''t mean he''s a leader before anybody jumps on my back about that one. I think that Doherty made a massive mistake saying he could play upfront because the reality of that is a fantasy he is too slow. I think that to many people have been jumping on the lads back. I mean i in my heart could see that somehow Doherty would get better and i have been proved right despite some fans not all but some classing him as a lump of lard. Doherty has just found his feet the Championship could be the perfect stage for him to show what he can do. I think Worthington should stick with Doherty & Davenport because Doherty warrants a place in the team after such a good performance. Under one condition though providing Gary Doherty keeps up the good work from the match against Northampton he could remain in the team.   

Think I''m in agreement with you on that one mate! He was quality on tue night. He''s never been given a proper run in the team since joining and been given Cameo roles in about 3/4 position. Yet some fans jumped on his back straight away!

Big dave is coming good! ;o)

I have been advocating the Doc being in the team for a long time and I''m glad he is being given a chance to play in a defensive partnership that does not include Flem.  I would not say that the Doc has cemented his place his the team yet but he is going the right way about it.

For me we need players like him in a league that is very physical.  The physical side of his game is his best attribute. He is by no means a cultured footballer but to be one half of a good central defensive partnership he doesn''t need to be. 

I can''t help thinking that if he continues playing as he is and we keep more and more clean sheets his confidence will build and we could have a very good defender on our hands.

There is no doubt that he has improved from the man who kept giving umpteen free kicks away just outside our box.  Also, I still remember when he put Safri and then Helveg out of the first team last season. 

I watched both Doherty and Shackell against Northampton and if asked which one I would choose then I would prefer Shackell alongside Davenport.  I know he still makes the odd mistake but I believe he is a better all round central defender.

If he plays today we should give him a chant...it might give him the confidence to know the fans are behind him...

How about this one:

Who let the doc out? WHO! WHO! WHO!
Who let the doc out? WHO! WHO! WHO!

You talk sense mate, and totally agree, ''if it aint broke dont fix it''.

I posted this in a thread the other day about doherty, but isnt it all a huge coincidence that Doherty has played better every time he has been played in the right side of the centre of defence. Normally when he has come in, Flemming occupies that space pushing Doherty out to the left, therefore having to use his left and unfavoured foot more often. Now being pushed to the right he uses his comftable side.

coincidence? i think not

Play him there and he will do his best im sure