Sign in to follow this  
 Badger

Linked with marley Watkins

I don''t know a great deal about him but linked with us according to EDP and EADT. He seems to be an attacking midfielder - well, we are down to our last 10, I suppose!Link below.

Here

I came very close to resetting my password last night to report on this, although I couldn''t remember the guys name. Now it''s out in the open may as well add what I know.

Heard last week that this is a done deal rather than just a rumour, not from a link to the club but someone close to the player (who is also a city fan actually). The person I know is looking for a job down south to remain near the player who I heard is becoming a free agent and agreed he will be signing for city (I think he''s waiting for his Barnsley contract to expire).

Don''t know much about the player I am afraid, seems to be for a position we are well stocked. Guess we will be selling Wildschut.

Are you saying that Marley is a fan or the person who told you about it being a done deal?

I would assume, if there''s any legs to this rumour, that we''ll be letting Naismith go owing to the wages he''s on and his age.

I guess it''s also dependent on the formation we''ll be playing in regards to the head coach. I have a hunch the head coach is decided, we''re just waiting on contracts to run down, you have to think what''s to stop Webber window shopping?

Apparently he can play on the wing, so maybe one of the. Murphy'' s or Wildschut will be moved on?

The person who told me is a city fan but also very close to the player. That person is very happy with this news.

I have 100% faith this is a done deal and a cheap option as well.

We''d have to be offloading a fair few.

For the wings we have both Murphys, Yanic and Jarvis, along with Wes and Naismith who''ve both played out wide recently.

Who would be identifying this player as a viable option for us? If its Webber, presumably he thinks our new coach would like him too. Or perhaps our new coach and scouts are already working for us before they''ve officially joined!

seems a very odd one. I bet we could have had him instead of wildschut in Jan for like £2m as well. I''ll happily have him as he seems to have a decent record at this level but I don''t think we really need him.

I don''t care if we need him. We should get him for his Dickensian name alone. And if there is a player out there called Barnaby Chuzzlewhit or Ebenezer Dorrit we should be in for them as well.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"]I don''t care if we need him. We should get him for his Dickensian name alone. And if there is a player out there called Barnaby Chuzzlewhit or Ebenezer Dorrit we should be in for them as well.[/quote]If this happens then the Pinkun writers will be salivating at the prospect of writing ''Marley ghosts'' in a the far post to score City''s opener, especially if it''s a Christmas fixture.

Alternatively, SW could have identified him and casually mentioned it to the prospective head coach..."would MW be the type of player you would be happy for us to bring into the club? It''s just that we have an opportunity and wanted to float it past you......"

You never know, SW may have a philosophy of having a squad full of midfielders - with each of them having a range of specialities - eg centre back, full back, CDM etc. etc. - rather like a hospital who has a team of doctors, but each having their own specialities - eg neurology, cardio, podiatry (in other words, treating you from head to foot)!

I''ve put it out there - if it becomes the new replacement for 4-3-3 or any other system, remember who suggested it first :-)

(It would also be good to remember, we are now officially in the silly season!)

Appears to be a good quality player by championship standards and going for free. It does suggest to me that some of our existing midfield will be sold. The ones likely to command the biggest fees are the Murphy twins and Pritchard we may be fortunate to hang on to all 3

Personally, if the line on this is true about him coming to us, I''m quite surprised. I''d have expected Webber to attack the defence first, than our first signing to be a winger.

However, if as others have noted, we have say Naismith and Jarvis on the way out, we could be swapping est. £70,000 per week in wages for a younger, much less expensive model who is known to perform at Championship level. Ticks all the Webberfesto boxes.

[quote user="Mason 47"]Personally, if the line on this is true about him coming to us, I''m quite surprised. I''d have expected Webber to attack the defence first, than our first signing to be a winger.

However, if as others have noted, we have say Naismith and Jarvis on the way out, we could be swapping est. £70,000 per week in wages for a younger, much less expensive model who is known to perform at Championship level. Ticks all the Webberfesto boxes.[/quote]I''m not sure it works like that, you sign players when you can.Webber seems like a man who knows what we need and when deals for defenders can be sorted we''ll be getting them in. I doubt he would be proritising one part of the team building over another for the sake of saying ''No thanks I''m doing defenders first''.

1) I will be GUTTED if we lose Pritchard.He''s just starting to show why we bought him.2) I can''t see anyone taking Jarvis unless we pay off his contract in full, give whoever takes him some extra cash and his new side insist on a pay as you play contract.

He sounds exactly the same as Wildschut - who has hardly set the world alight since being here - for the same cost as Naismith, but presumably on less wages.

Can''t see him being a replacement for Pritchard or the Murphys. We need to do all we can to keep those 3.

Nuff Said wrote the following post at 16/05/2017 11:34 AM:

1) I will be GUTTED if we lose Pritchard.He''s just starting to show why we bought him.

Will be hard to contemplate hambition if the likes of Pritchard are sold.

More like contemplating ones navel!

I guess this would mean the end for Naismith, Jarvis and possibly even Wildschut too. Although if Webber somehow manages to find a taker for Jarvis, who has two years left on his contract, it''ll be on a par with getting £7m for Lewis Grabban!Would imagine he''ll let Naismith go for nothing, then his wages won''t be such a problem (in the same way we paid overinflated wages for Mulumbu because he didn''t command a transfer fee). Wildschut might be loaned out, but I can''t see either of the Murphys going anywhere. Reckon Maddison will also be loaned out again next season, no point him sitting behind Pritchard and Wes for another year. Give him some experience with a Championship struggler (not Ipswich) and then he''ll take Wes''s place next summer.

I''m just surprised he hasn''t been automatically discounted as a signing because of his two years in Inverness.

Apples

Yanic is the odd man out in all this- I''d hope with a full pre season at the club he could begin to make an impact but if we sign more wingers I''ll be very surprised to see much more of him.

If he can defend, then a free signing could be good, but in describing him as "fast, in the centre or either wing" suggests that he would duplicate what we have.

If his main contribution is in scoring, then 10 goals is not fantastic, even if he scored one or two with his head.

A question - I saw the video of his goals, were any of them with the left foot? He scored one or two from on his left side, but he did so by using the outside of his right foot.

Finally, aged 30 or 31 is he he a temporary fill, and are we expecting to lose a Murphy or Pritchard?

"Finally, aged 30 or 31 is he a temporary fill, and are we expecting to lose a Murphy or Pritchard?"

He''s 26.

Salopian I don''t know where you got 31 from, he''s 26! And a winger scoring 10 in a Barnsley side is a more impressive return than Naismith, Jo Murphy, Jarvis and Wildschut managed last season.