Sign in to follow this  
lake district canary

What was your first job?

Folowing on from "What do you for your living" thread, interestimg to see what people are doing now, but as many of us exiles started out at Norwich - what was your first local job during or after leaving school?  Mine was a summer job at Mackintoshes Chocolate factory in Chapelfield - cleaning out the chocolate making machines. Yuk.

First proper job (after several paper rounds) was making pizza and deli food for Zuckermans on Unthank Rd.

Pay was terrible but endless pizza and cakes was a decent enhancement.

I was a technician at Mackintoshes Chocolate factory in Chapelfield, constantly repairing the chocolate making machines which were never cleaned properly. [:S]

Calculating life insurance premiums at Norwich Union - pre-computerisation - I''m that old!

Bean picker at farm near Horsford.

Cycled there from outer Hellesdon.

Holiday job and saving up for fortnight in Clacton, to subsequently waste in the amusement arcade.

When I went to bed, exhausted, and closed my eyes I saw runner beans on the stalk.

Those were the days.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I was a technician at Mackintoshes Chocolate factory in Chapelfield, constantly repairing the chocolate making machines which were never cleaned properly. [:S][/quote][:D] So I kept you in a job then Lapps.....glad to be of service [Y] [Y]

"I was a technician at Mackintoshes Chocolate factory in Chapelfield, constantly repairing the chocolate making machines which were never cleaned properly."

Myself and my sisters used to look through those low vent windows to watch the workers. The smell was gorgeous.

After we used to go to buy a big bag of "broken" chocolates from somewhere inside the factory.

This after we had bought an even bigger bag of stale (yesterday''s) cakes from a nearby bakery shop.

And they say sugar is bad for you, all heading slowly towards retirement and still up and running.

[quote user="lappinitup"]I was a technician at Mackintoshes Chocolate factory in Chapelfield, constantly repairing the chocolate making machines which were never cleaned properly. [:S][/quote]Classic Lapps.  Best laugh this week.[:D]

As a teen I had a brief spell cleaning out the back of a butchers in Attleborough - but it coincided with the worst snowfall in a generation and I couldn''t stand the cold.

My first real experience of work as a student was working for Kenny Clabburn as general young dogsbody at his Attleborough Turkey breeding farm. It gained me exposure to what was labelled on a Channel 4 programme as one of the top ten worst jobs in the world. (Clue: Turkey breeding - IE, what does that entail)!

Yes I am just a turkey w$nker from Norfolk! Beat that the lot of ya!

Following on after a wringer out for a one armed window cleaner, I took up an apprenticeship at Jarrolds Printers as a compositor or posh, typographical architect.

[quote user="OldRobert"][quote user="lappinitup"]I was a technician at Mackintoshes Chocolate factory in Chapelfield, constantly repairing the chocolate making machines which were never cleaned properly. [:S][/quote]Classic Lapps.  Best laugh this week.[:D][/quote]

With that, plus the TG comment on the new appointment thread, Lapps is on fire today!

After a few paperboy jobs, my first real job was as a part-time cleaner whilst I was working alongside my time at college. I eventually went on to become a supervisor and essentially manager there though whilst still in college so it wasn''t all that bad!

quote user : Since 1980 "Trainee squirrel breeder."

You a nutjob?

First I became a professional fisherman, but discovered that I couldn’t live on my net income.

Then thought about becoming a witch, so I tried that for a spell.

After paper rounds, worked in a fruit and veg shop weighing the fruit and putting it into bags, worked in a plastics company on a laythe and then worked at the hotel Norwich.