Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Does anyone actually work for a living?

We have threads on "your first job?" and "What do you do for a living?"

Often wonder how many on here actually work (the amount of time some spend on here)? guessing majority must be retired, unemployed, students, or even house wifes? i work and probably will do until the big man comes knocking, so who has all this spare time?

Me too, 48 and retired, golf is now my main focus, along with cycling and canoeing......love it!

Finished work at 62. Don''t know how I had the time to work.

Lessingham looks like no is the answer to your question....:-)

Contract is for 27 hours a week which is now enough for me at 56, although I''m doing quite a bit of overtime at the moment. As others have said, I don''t know how I had the time to work full time.

My Company is doing well enough, and hardly needs any day-to-day involvement from me, and I am a long way from getting my State pension.

Fair play guy''s, seems like you have earned your position! personally i love working and cant imagine not doing so, tried golf but took too much time out of my working day, football is my escape and something the whole family enjoy, so happy with my lot....... for now!

To be fair I''m still available to work if needed, but that''s a couple days or so a month dependant on contracts.

Like others I''ve worked since I was 16 full time and 18 years offshore, so done my time, but never been so busy as I am now, trying to cram in family, walks and other things.

Football was always my first love, played in the Anglian Combination for a good few years and stopped when I went offshore. Then carried on with a season ticket since 91, till this season.

Interesting thread Lessingham. I''m 71 and was a founder partner in a printing business that has now been in existence for 30 years. Although I am now a ''company secretary'', so no longer a director, I still have the implied pressures of the highs and lows of running a business. Sorry for bringing politics into this but that''s why I could never vote for a party that has Corbyn and Abbot as members. The tax our company pays through corporation tax and that our staff pay in paye is frightening. Never mind you can always rely on on the BBC for a fair coverage of the pathetically poor quality election hustings. Public sector workers give thanks for a relatively secure employment. Oh and the NHS? Stop employing wasters at the top of the tree and get hard nose business talents at the top

OTBC :-)

Bury, i''m with you on those thoughts, i''m in a similar position, my business is in healthcare and the amount we pay in taxes (corporation , paye and VAT) is at times frightening. NHS.... nail hit firmly on head i''m afraid.

[quote user="Bury Yellow"]Interesting thread Lessingham. I''m 71 and was a founder partner in a printing business that has now been in existence for 30 years. Although I am now a ''company secretary'', so no longer a director, I still have the implied pressures of the highs and lows of running a business. Sorry for bringing politics into this but that''s why I could never vote for a party that has Corbyn and Abbot as members. The tax our company pays through corporation tax and that our staff pay in paye is frightening. Never mind you can always rely on on the BBC for a fair coverage of the pathetically poor quality election hustings. Public sector workers give thanks for a relatively secure employment. Oh and the NHS? Stop employing wasters at the top of the tree and get hard nose business talents at the top

OTBC :-)[/quote]Comments typical of the "the something for nothing society" - I want roads, policing, armed forces, education for my children and health care - but I want someone else to pay for it!To complain about corporate taxation rates which are amongst the lowest in the developed world is amazing! In the near zero probability of Corbyn being elected and implementing his corporation tax rises, the rates of company tax would still be lower than our competitors - eg Japan, US, Germany, G7 and OECD averages.I too am a company director and want to challenge some of the drivel that my fellow poor hard-done by business people like to spout.How about the £5000 dividend that we can take totally free of income tax?How about the benefits that we can enjoy having partially offset them against company tax?All totally legal, but things that employees could never do. Whinging about company tax, where levels are incredibly low, just about takes the biscuit! There are too many people that are parasytic on nurses, care workers, the army, teachers etc - demanding premium service at discount prices.  They do incredibly challenging jobs, often on a pittance of pay and they are supposed to be grateful that they have a job at all!Sorry about bringing politics onto a football thread but didn''t want to let people that are spongers on society "a free hit."Oh and the NHS, the "hard-nose business talents" that run the US healthcare means that they pay nearly twice as much for their health care that we do - and it doesn''t even cover everyone!Bury, I don''t know you from Adam, and my interpretation may be unfair, but it is based on what you said.

A friend, at the age of 78, still works 3 days a week. He doesn''t take any income out of the business, just loves the buzz.

So many are obsessed with retiring early.

Stop whingeing an'' a whining......It''ll all be over this time next week......Then you can all start whingeing an'' a whining again, about the result......

Yeah, I still work. Went self-employed at 56 which was good for me and four years later starting to be a bit more choosy as to what I take on or not. Can''t see myself retiring fully as music is one of those professions - it''s in the dna.....

[quote user="Since 1980"]A friend, at the age of 78, still works 3 days a week. He doesn''t take any income out of the business, just loves the buzz.

So many are obsessed with retiring early.[/quote]Yes, but I think a lot of people take retirement so that they can do something else rather than just stop working altogether. Although still in my mid 50s, I took early retirement, because I was in the fortunate position of being able to afford to. Like your friend, I subsequently set up a business "for the buzz." For me, it has been far been lucrative than I expected, but this is largely because of the favourable tax position that company directors enjoy relative to employees.I suppose the difference is being able to "be your own boss" and being able to chose what you want to do.

Badger you do know that from next April you can only take £2000 in dividends tax free.

Unfortunatly whichever party wins there will always be unhappy people. About time politics changed, instead of children fighting with each other, shouldn''t each party actually look at each other''s manifesto''s and take the best policy? Isn''t it what''s best for us and our country, surley as we''re in the 21st century it''s about time Victorian politics is outdated.

Yes, I did know Indy, but thanks. The 7.5% basic rate of dividend tax is still pretty generous compared to income tax though!Like LDC, I don''t think politics will change until the voting system changes. However, we voted against a change in the electoral system so no change is likely any time soon.

It is badger but you''re already paying 20% corp tax so it''s not really that great. Give the Tories a little credit here for years I''ve owned my own business and contracted to some big companies in my industry, I used to take out large sums in dividends now all clamped down on. I totally agree with the changes too, at 12.8k a year combined dividends and tax free wages from next year means we''ll pay 7.5 % for the first rate going up to 12 % after that threshold has been reached and higher. So in reality it''s not much different to being employed given the cost for insurance, rates, rentals etc. So owning your own business isn''t as if an advantage as it once was.

Whilst it may be less advantageous than it once was, it is still has a lot of tax advantages over being an employee.I suspect that future changes will make it harder for smaller businesses but increase the benefits for larger businesses.

63 and in full time work. Love the daily challenges, currently involved in transforming a major international company to the digital age. Plan to carry on to 70 if health permits. Love having a career that has changed millions of lives and can''t imagine stopping.

About 4 years ago I did retire, for about a week, but missed the buzz of working so started up some new projects that propelled me back into work and I''m loving it.