Sign in to follow this  
Ulf Ottosson

Paul McVeigh - He Must Play!!

Done some thinking and theres is a definate relationship between McVeigh role in the team and Norwich''s fortunes. Yeah Yeah I know it''s a bit simply but here goes.

1st Season McVeigh arrives - Season fizzles out - WLY not in team

2rd Season Hamilton goe, Worthy comes in - terrible season long forgotten  - WLY not in team

3rd Season Norwich so close to Premiership- WLY plays majority of games

4th Season - Just miss out on Play - offs - WLY plays nearly all games

5th Season - Norwich prompted - WLY plays in nearly all games

6th Season - Norwich Relegated - WLY plays little part in season starting only one game

7th Season - Dodgy Start - WLY comes in and Norwich only two league wins co-inside with WLY two starts

Worthy keep him in the Team!!!!

At the moment he seems to be a pivotal player - I have to agree he must play on sat - but which of Lisbie, Hux or Ashton steps down? 

OTBC

[quote]At the moment he seems to be a pivotal player - I have to agree he must play on sat - but which of Lisbie, Hux or Ashton steps down? OTBC[/quote]

Lisbe if Ashton is fit and ready.
I agree, on current form it would be wrong for McVeigh to be on the bench.
Saying that, I thought Flem did an OK job at right back the other night, so what do I know?

Mcveigh completely changed the way we attacked when he came on against northampton. He looked sharp and at home in his role. I doubt we would have scored in the second half if he hadnt have come on the pitch.

He has surely got to start, he is our play maker at the moment.

Only problem then is that hughes is constently in the wider areas instead of the middle of the pitch

[quote]Lisbie can say bye then.[/quote]

Well if needs must, yes.
No player is bigger than the club, though its bloody harsh on Lisbe he will get chances as a sub and will start if one of the others gets injured/has a mare.

Lisie was only ever a stop gap to cover injuries to Leon and Thorne.  He has done well but unfortunately for him WLY has grabbed his chance with both hands and so the need for lisbie as a starter has lessened.

However, as a second half sub to add pace he could be devastating on sat...

OTBC   

[quote]At the moment he seems to be a pivotal player - I have to agree he must play on sat - but which of Lisbie, Hux or Ashton steps down? OTBC[/quote]

It has to be Lisbie Zip.  He is only here for another 2 weeks and should only really have come here as cover. 

McVeigh should never have been droppped in favour of him after the Plymouth game.  What a kick in the teeth to be dropped after a MOM performace for a one month loanee.

WLY plays his best games for us in that hole position behind the front 2 - not when pushed out on either side.

Given that there are 2 options IMO:

1. He sits behind a front 2 of Ashton/Hucks (Lisbe on bench as we have to look to the mid term as well as the immediate)

2. He sits behind Ashton/Lisbe and we have a midfield 3 of  Hughes, Safri and Hucks creating the diamond that CAN work well. Clearly the Huks tracking back dimension is the challenge here but it could be very potent and may be something to revert to after option 1 if we find we need to chase the game at any point.

Good spot Ulf. Why didn''t Worthy or his staff not realise this. McVeigh to start for me. He''s definitely playing well and i would also like to see him play just off Deano. He gives Ashton a lot of options unlike Leon, who IMO prefers to go it alone. Lets see what this season brings.....if Worthless plays him that is. Also fair play to McVeigh for keeping his chin up after being dropped that time after his MOTM performance.

I like McVeigh behind the front two of Ashton/Lisbie, form here he adds creativity to the middle of the park and his through balls particulary suit the pace of Lisbie. For this reason it would be a shame if he replaced Lisbie up front. I think it either has to be Marney or Hucks he comes in for, for me - and I might be shot down for this - it''d be Hucks to resume his place as super-sub.

I would say that there have been lots of other reasons for our various up/down turns in fortunes other than WLY, Hucks kick-started our promotion season, and this season has improved with a change of personnel in defence (and getting Hughes back in...). I''m not saying it ISN''T McVeigh, he certainly has made a difference, but its not just down to him.

If Worthy is going to carry on the 4-3-1-2 formation, then McVeigh has staked a strong claim for the role playing behind the front two. Most would expect Hucks to play there, me included, but all players need competition for their places and now Hucks certainly has that competition. This is a huge benefit to the team, it should keep Hucks sharp.

As a striker, I would carry on with Lisbie for now partnering Ashton (well they are both scoring!). Longer term, I would rather see WLY than Leon, he offers more options and has much better control. Else use him as a ''super sub'', he could come on to devastating effect for the last part of a game, and can play in various roles.