Sign in to follow this  
AJ

Dijks staying with Ajax

Norwich have announced they won''t be signing Mitchell due to not being able to ''come to an agreement''.

So, the quest to sign at least one if not two left backs (if Toffolo isn''t deemed good enough as backup) begins...

Shame, he had quality at times, but always thought Dijks wages would probably be a snag

Yes, i think the wages were probably a big part of the issue, i cant help but feel the player himself feels he should be at premier league level. To probably clinch the deal we were going to have to throw some extra cash to convince him to play championship football. it probably just wasn''t worth it.

i doubt that is too much of a surprise, but it is heartening to think that it was not ouright rejection of us by the player.It would suggest that we were paying a percentage of his wage (as per usual) and we were not prepared to take on the full contract.He would have to take a pay cut it would seemStill, thanks for the memories and good luck elsewhere

Not in the same class as Olsen or Drury

For someone 6ft 5 plus his ability in the air needs a lot of work.

Still need 2 left backs Toffolo Div1 at best

Cannot think Ajax wages will be more than NCFC

[quote user="GJP"]He''s not that special.[/quote]

Have to agree with DJP, a beast going forward but caught out a few times when defending, if funds are tight I think they could be better spent elsewhere.

I would not have been disappointed to have signed him ......... but I am not too disappointed that we haven''t!

I''d have been really happy with Mitchell signing so am disappointed but understand why. Find it funny we''ve made an announcement to say we''re not going to be signing him - as it wasn''t totally expected that we would anyway, I''m quite surprised. A game of cat and mouse still perhaps... ?

As i posted at the time he was 10 mins away from signing for us Permanently when he first came here and changed his mind the only option for us then was to finally get him on loan

this was always about if we went up or not he was never going to sign for us in the championship

It is a shame, he had a presence about him.

Does make you even more frustrated with what was going on at Xmas and how we dithered so much over Alex Neil and let him loose in the transfer market one last time. Wildshut will hopefully turn out to be a world beater but just looked so odd when we needed defenders and a centre mid.

On the plus side, Webber and Farke have given me real hope that we have two people in charge that know what they are doing, I just hope we don''t over complicate this summer as we have a real chance this season to get in the play-offs and then who knows?

Just more evidence of how inept AN was. We now have one unproven LB. He left us with an incredibly thin squad. Going into a summer needing to sign 1 or 2 LBs is criminal.

I think it would be handy to know what his demands may have been before we bemoan his loss.

Liked watching him, he was a solid unit, but in truth i thought he was overrated by many giving him almost cult status, just hoping Farke has his eye on a quality LB and CH.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]As i posted at the time he was 10 mins away from signing for us Permanently when he first came here and changed his mind the only option for us then was to finally get him on loan

this was always about if we went up or not he was never going to sign for us in the championship[/quote]

He is never good enough for the Premier League and at his age will not improve greatly. Bullet dodged if the figures being quoted are right. We can get better for much less.

Don''t forget he was still a part of the most dreadful defence we have had in years.

[quote user="Big O"]It is a shame, he had a presence about him.

Does make you even more frustrated with what was going on at Xmas and how we dithered so much over Alex Neil and let him loose in the transfer market one last time. Wildshut will hopefully turn out to be a world beater but just looked so odd when we needed defenders and a centre mid.

On the plus side, Webber and Farke have given me real hope that we have two people in charge that know what they are doing, I just hope we don''t over complicate this summer as we have a real chance this season to get in the play-offs and then who knows?[/quote]really?we will do well to be top 10

we ?I think you binners will do well to stay out of the bottom threeor fill more than a third of the groundapart from when your wealthy neighbours come a callin''

A shame. Seems like the sort of player you can rally around if things go sour.

What I will say as a positive is, I think the people calling the shots now are a lot more aware and in-tune with the NCFC public. There''s no real reason for the club to release a statement saying we AREN''T going to sign him- I like the player but this isn''t on a Huckerby level, with a club-wide breath being held. ''Just to let fans know: very sorry, it can''t happen, these are the reasons why, we''re moving on to new targets''.

Worlds away from scripted Moxy propaganda and staging the Wildschut transfer to be an exciting last-minute coup. Good stuff.

We can spend ludicrous wages he wanted on parts of the pitch that give a better return; we can get a decent left back for this league far more cost effectively - its not the most crucial position.

And thats assuming we need a left back and dont go 3 cbs in 3-4-2-1.

Anyway - hasnt he got history of saying no and then turning up anyway?

Ultimately, you have to wonder why he wasn''t getting regs game time with Ajax. Looked like a lump though and that physicality can''t be overlooked in the Champ.

Oh well. We''ve got Toffolo so we just need cover. About time Harry got his time to shine anyway.

I don''t think Toffolo will be our first choice, Morgan, if the club felt he was ready for that he''d have been here last season when we sold all our left backs...

I don''t dispute it was a stupid decision to sell Brady and Olsson without having a back up, but I think Toffolo was on a season long loan with no recall clause?

If that''s the case AJ then why keep him on if he''s unlikely to get a sniff of first team action?

Neil was inclined not to include any of the youth or young prospects, the likes of Maddison, Pritchard and Godfrey have been solid in their cameos.

They''ve given Toff a 1 year contract. If they really thought he was the business he would be tied down long term.

He''ll be backup at best.

Seems a shame

Read this interesting piece on My Football Writer about the youth coming through - my browser doesn''t support the clicky alas

http://norwichcity.myfootballwriter.com/2017/06/06/all-we-are-saying-is-give-youth-a-chance-can-others-follow-the-same-path-as-the-murphy-bros/