Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Surprised people are so happy

The clever emphasis on a "new set up" and "an unknown element" in a totally unproven rookie manager- seems to have pulled the wool over many people''s eyes to the obvious fire sale and downgrading of the playing squad.

Had we simply opted for a new English manager I doubt people would be so optimistic.

We needed a new defence not the loss of our better players like Howson and Dijks etc... no doubt the clappers will insist we are being prudent with one year of parachute payments left- and I get that. But it seems to me that instead of having the ambition to go for promotion in that last year we are bedding down for a long stint of championship life. From Jonny Howson to Marley Watkins and from Ruddy to any others mentioned is a slide

I agree. I''m excited to see what the new structure can do as I think we still have enough talented players and some decent coaching g will make a huge difference but we wasted last season completely due to appalling decision making at every level and we are in danger of letting our last year with some form of financial advantage pass us by due to effectively going back to the drawing board when I feel such root and branch change to the squad is not necessary. I''m uneasy about it and it smacks of massive downsizing disguised as restructuring.

Then you add in the "self funded club" mantra slipped into every single interview anyone at the club does. Should of course say "fan funded" since our owners aren''t putting anything in whilst at the same time are insisting on remaining debt free. Whatever if we don''t go back up this year we will be one of tgebooorest teams in the league so they are taking a big risk trying to do it "Huddersfield style."

What downgrades?Howson has so far gone nowhere, and in truth if someone does come in and offer good money, it''s not like we''re losing Messi or anything, and the same thing goes for Dorrans as well.Ruddy was on a premier league contract that we sensibly couldn''t agree to renew/increase, added to the fact that he''s often looked a shadow of the player that rightly got an England call-up, and has been dropped at times for both Rudd and McGovern due to poor form.Dijks wants Premier League football - and the premier league wages to go with it, despite the fact that he''s never shown himself to be at that level during his loan with us, and thus has done nothing to justify us pushing the boat out to pay over the odds for a champs level defender.We''ve dumped the majority of players who consistently failed to perform for us defensively, as well as the constantly injured Mulumbu and the constantly pointless Lafferty.Watkins has signed on a free, on the back of an excellent season in a pretty poor Barnsley side and gives us options both on the right wing and as a striker (an area we were fairly short in), so I fail to see ANYTHING disappointing about his signing.I don''t see the changes as the classic ''prudence over ambition'', I see a new management structure that is clearing out the deadwood, streamlining our playing side and putting more focus on younger, hungry players (instead of the experienced players who''ve repeatedly failed to show when we needed them), and whom I expect to bring in a number of good new players, at very sensible prices and who will give us a genuine chance of a return to the premier league this season.But then again, I''m not a complete miserabilist, so I would say something like that...

And are you absolutely certain McGovern will be between the sticks for most of next season? Really, though?

Of course your surprised, but that''s cos you''re a miserable fucker.

Oh and Dijks was never ours to lose.

[quote user="king canary"]Of course your surprised, but that''s cos you''re a miserable fucker.

Oh and Dijks was never ours to lose.[/quote]Has something gone wrong with the software controlling rude words?I''m surprised that the transfer window hasn''t even opened and the clubs being criticised but I''m not surprised about the poster doing the criticism, he is indeed a miserable very rude word.

Getting shot of many of the squad who performed so poorly this season and also the one before is not something, in my mind, to be too exorcised about. It is clear that the defence needs root and branch renewal. So far no one has gone, maybe Ruddy excepted, who I really think we should have kept. Howson hasn''t gone, CJ, Wes, the Murphys, Pricthard, Maddison, Oliveira, Pinto, Klose. These are all the key men (assuming the Germanic influence can get Klose back in form again) that there is little sign of being moved on and who will be the spine of the team. A nice blend actually of youth and experience. Reinforce those with some decent defenders and we have the make up of a good side. Reinvest Naismiths wages or get him sparking again, perhaps he could finally come good.

I feel genuinely excited about the current situation. I see Farke as far less of a gamble than many of our recent managers and I think the playing side needs a kick up the ar*e with modern and different approaches, a new coaching set up and some real drive and enthusiasm. Who realistically better could we have attracted other than the same tired old safe names than a highly rated guy at one of Europe''s very top set ups? I''m glad we have something new, exciting and forward thinking to look forward to, hopefully it will inject the spark back into the club after the emperor''s new clothes of the Neil regime.

I think a lot of confidence comes from the fact Webber comes across so well in interviews and sets out a clear plan. He also has a proven record with the incredible turn around he oversaw at Huddersfield.

Webber is also very well respected within football, which is why Man City and Chelsea were prepared to let players go out on loan to the Terriers in the knowledge they would be developed well.

Webber has been invited to talk at Jamie Vardy''s new academy on recruitment, which is more evidence that he is well known and well respected beyond the confines of Carrow Road/Colney.

I think many fans are a bit tired of the current squad and welcome a shake up, even if it means players with lessor profiles being signed. How many times have you seen fans calling for ''young, hungry, lower league players''. With Webber we are more likely to get ''young, hungry, German players'' but it is the same principle.

I don''t see it so much as downsizing, although there is an obvious imperative to reduce the wage bill to reflect the £12m less in revenue the club will get this season, but it is more a reallocation of resources. Why have circa £20k - £30k of wages tied up in Dorrans and £40k tied up in Naismith when they are only going to be bit part players?

The club are trying something new and that should be applauded, fans being excited by the prospect is a good thing and hopefully it will mean they give Farke, Webber and the new signings a little longer than normal to settle.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"]If you think keeping hold of Martin and McGovern losing Howson and Ruddy is "getting rid of deadwood" then you, my friend, are deluded.[/quote]A) Howson hasn''t gone anywhere - how many times does this need spelling out? Until he''s gone you don''t have a leg to stand on with this argument, and even then, if the transfer fee received is strong, I still don''t see the big deal either, I wish people would stop making out that Howson is an irreplaceable, world class talent - he''s really not you know.B) As for ''losing'' Ruddy, we haven''t lost him, we actively chose to allow his contract to expire as we simply didn''t want to pay Premier league wages for a guy who hasn''t been anywhere near consistent since he was injured, has struggled to keep out McGovern (who you yourself consider to be s**t), and who in truth appears to be going downhill. I personally think McGovern could well be going, leaving us with Rudd, Matthews and Jones.C) Martin is likely to be a squad player and in that role is perfectly acceptable, and you can''t fault his commitment or dedication to the club either, so again, I''m not sure what your issue is here.I guess I must be deluded for actually looking forward to a progressive new setup at the club, which potentially offers a return to focusing on not only playing attractive, attacking football (whilst maintaining a strong defence) that fans can enjoy, but bringing in more young, hungry players, giving an increased role and value to the youth players coming through our academy, and all the while doing it on a sensible and realistic budget - much like Huddersfield have just managed using the exact same system implemented by Webber!

In some games Ron definitely! Let''s hope they look like men possessed in a rather more positive way in August!!

[quote user="A Load of Squit"][quote user="king canary"]Of course your surprised, but that''s cos you''re a miserable fucker.

Oh and Dijks was never ours to lose.[/quote]Has something gone wrong with the software controlling rude words?I''m surprised that the transfer window hasn''t even opened and the clubs being criticised but I''m not surprised about the poster doing the criticism, he is indeed a miserable very rude word.

[/quote]

tits

willy

flange

bum

lady garden

Just testing.

Not to mention the fact that we have not yet sorted out a pre-season training camp during which we find the "top-notch" teams we have arranged games against actually consist of the staff of the local bistro and the inmates from the nearby prison. You couldn''t make it up.**Copyright Highland Canary.

[quote user="Moaning Myrtle"]If you think keeping hold of Martin and McGovern losing Howson and Ruddy is "getting rid of deadwood" then you, my friend, are deluded.[/quote]
I''m confused. 
Oh, no i''m not. You''re just making things up to suit your predictably pathetic agenda. Were you not loved as a child? Is that the issue here?
1) How do you know we''re not looking to offload McGovern? The only reason Ruddy''s gone and he''s here is because RUDDY''S CONTRACT EXPIRED. If McGoverns was expiring do you not think we''d have let him go?
2) Howson hasn''t gone anywhere so using it in your argument is a little silly.
I''ve no issue if you''re not comfortable with the new structure or whatever but making things up as you go along is a sure sign you''re on the losing side before you even start.

I love this thread !  It makes me so happy...

Also this idea of a fire sale, have we sold anyone yet ?  As opposed to releasing players where we weren''t willing to pay the wages they wanted.  

Dean Coney''s boots wrote the following post at 2017-06-06 11:08 AM:

The clever emphasis on a "new set up" and "an unknown element" in a totally unproven rookie manager- seems to have pulled the wool over many people''s eyes to the obvious fire sale and downgrading of the playing squad.

Had we simply opted for a new English manager I doubt people would be so optimistic.

We needed a new defence not the loss of our better players like Howson and Dijks etc... no doubt the clappers will insist we are being prudent with one year of parachute payments left- and I get that. But it seems to me that instead of having the ambition to go for promotion in that last year we are bedding down for a long stint of championship life. From Jonny Howson to Marley Watkins and from Ruddy to any others mentioned is a slide

How are we downgrading a squad that got relegated from the premiership, and failed in every aspect in their first championship season. And has Howson or Dorrans left? Myself I think your arguments lack balance in that surely the club are being more than ambitious in keeping well away from a shed full of unproven English managers and moving towards the European model. It hasn''t actually been unsuccessful amongst other clubs, has it. P? And before you bring in the Lambert card, where did he earn his coaching badges and nous, from the same club that Farke now originates from. I think your doom and gloom is very misrepresented.

I wouldn''t say I''m happy, but I''m optimistic.

Webber has obviously done good things at Huddersfield and we have to trust his judgement. Farke has obviously done well so far with the teams he''s managed at. It all comes down to signing the right players now so we can mount a promotion challenge.

I suppose, at least change is happening.

I''ve never been so depressed. In fact, since that dark day in March I have spent all my time sitting in a darkened room, weeping, while clutching at a worn photograph of Alex Neil celebrating our play off win at Wembley, with Michael Bolton''s "How am I supposed to live without you?" playing on a constant loop.Does that make you happy DCB?

IBT- this is a serious condition. I suggest you take a course of Peter Grant match videos, one per day to be taken before food. Beware that they can make you drowsy so do not drive or operate heavy machinery for a couple of hours after. In addition I recommend carrying a list of Bryan Hamilton and Glenn Roeder signings with you, perhaps in A6 format in a pocket. Glance at that whenever you feel particularly down. You should complete the course and in a month I think you''ll feel much better.

I think Howson will go. To reject a new contract signals he is either thinking he is better than what he is or we are cutting wages.

There is no point in messing around with contracts. Offer, sign or go. And if he thinks he can get a better deal, maybe at Leeds, then good luck to him.

I''m not happy and I''m not sad.....I am curious though as to where we''ll be at Christmas time in the Championship......I hope we are up there with the front runners as I think the forthcoming season is gonna be a lot harder season than the one just gone......Here''s hoping......

"Im not happy and I''m not sad" Smiths Lyric to ''This night has opened my eyes''! Great song if a little dark.

I feel the majority of fans, including me, are a little apprehensive. It''s a big change at the very club''s fundamentals, modernising the way the place is run.

[quote user="Mello Yello"]I''m not happy and I''m not sad.....I am curious though as to where we''ll be at Christmas time in the Championship......I hope we are up there with the front runners as I think the forthcoming season is gonna be a lot harder season than the one just gone......Here''s hoping......[/quote]

LOL I found watching the team lose at Burton, Rotherham and Barnsley last season pretty tough, oh and there was the little matter of getting thrashed 5-1 by Sheff Wednesday when they couldn''t beat anyone else.  But I know what you mean...