Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Angus Gunn on loan?

Doesn''t say much for Rudd, who is much more experienced, or the other keepers.

As it is only for one season, giving time to spend limited money on other positions in the team, probably O.K, and ditto if it gives Remi time to develop a little more.

The old romantic in me would like to see some exorcising of poor Bryan Gunn''s reputation. Yes, I know he was a disaster as a manager for us, but I will always remember him for the Bayern Munich and Inter Milan games and the personal tragedy of his daughter''s battle with leukaemia. We''d also be getting a current U21 international.

Puts the cat among the pigeons as far as McGovern, Rudd, Matthews and Jones are concerned. I guess at least 2 of them will leave - Jones and McGovern?

Surely would only be coming here if he''s been assured as being our No1, there''d be no purpose to his loan otherwise. Does that then mean McGoven is moving on? We extended Rudd''s contract before the season finished so would assume he''s staying for at least another year and we''ve also got Paul Jones on our books too as third choice...

So McGovern to depart and then a sale of rudd or re-loan of matthews to a league better than the SPL?

Ah, forgot about Matthews as well! Maybe our new defensive tactic is to just play all our keepers at once...

This is very disappointing if true. As the EDP article says he will only be coming as our number one, and we simply don''t need him when we have Rudd - who is, don''t forget, a keeper wanted by both the managers who have played him for more than a few games - and he is certainly good enough for the Championship.

This is wasting money and demotivating for our own young players.

Gunn is younger than Matthews who has at least played in big games in Scotland rather than nothing games with other boys; has no first team experience anywhere and could easily be useless. Stupid decision.

It is certainly a big risk in my opinion.

Angus is undeniably a big talent, he wouldn''t be at Man City if he wasn''t. There is though, a big and unpredictable difference from U23 to Senior football.

We all know how poisonous things got at Carrow Road last season and you have to question whether that is a situation a very inexperienced goalie can deal with. There will be a huge amount of scrutiny over him from fans, but also the wider media as some feel he could go on to be an England regular.

I hope Webber has got this one right, and in fairness he has been known to get more right than wrong, but it seems a big ask for such a young player.

Fantastic loan move. He is one of the brightest young goalkeepers around and we are fortunate to have him for a year. Just like when Fraser forster came here, great move.

@pablofarmer

I don''t think people warmed to the crazy 3rd kit from last season (I did, I bought one!) so that''s probably not on the cards, though I''d be all for it!

I actually have the Gunn era orange/pink one that looks like a petrol spill. Some sports shop in Norfolk had cleared out their back room a year or two back and found it there brand new with tags on!

Might have to wheel it out a bit more often if we have a Gunn in goal again.

I missed out on the 3rd keepers kit last season but would be all over it if we had a similar retro offering this year.

@Kick it off you have that keepers kit from the 90''s?! You jammy sh1t!

Those tops and the bird poo shirt go for too much on Ebay. We used to have this awful sports shop in Dereham called Pilch Inter Sport, I bet they had a load of stuff like that they never shifted when they closed down. Those places just don''t exist anymore.

So when are our keepers going to get games and experience ??

we loan Gunn so we can loan out Rudd or Matthews !!!

Highly rated maybe world class in future maybe but No1 for us in what will be his 1st season as a first team keeper big ask and gamble

I haven''t seen enough of Gunn to know, but perhaps Farke is looking for a keeper who is more comfortable with the ball at his feet in line with the possession style of football. Perhaps his dossier from Webber says that Rudd and/or McGovern aren''t as comfortable with that style and Webber''s connection to Man City suggest Gunn is?

Haha yeah I got lucky Morgan. I got it from that sports store, I forget the name - on eBay for 35 quid buy it now. Couldn''t believe it! I wear it every week for 5 a side 😁

[quote user="norfolkngood"]So when are our keepers going to get games and experience ??

we loan Gunn so we can loan out Rudd or Matthews !!!

Highly rated maybe world class in future maybe but No1 for us in what will be his 1st season as a first team keeper big ask and gamble[/quote]

I cant see us loaning out Rudd, what would be the point of signing him up on the one year extension? Might sell him. I''m guessing Matthews is surplus to requirements?

As for Gunn, if he''s coming in as No 1, thats a huge gamble as he has no first team experience at all. Like all young players he''ll be learning on the job, if we are aiming for top 2 he''s going to have to hit the ground running and be able to quickly overcome the odd nightmare game or ingame muck up which all keepers have, we cant afford to many confidence issues. fingers crossed this works.

@ Morgan

Those tops and the bird poo shirt go for too much on Ebay. We used to have this awful sports shop in Dereham called Pilch Inter Sport, I bet they had a load of stuff like that they never shifted when they closed down. Those places just don''t exist anymore.

Morgan isn''t the sports shop next to Jarrold''s in Norwich not a Pilch Inter Sport ? cant be 100% as keep away from the City as much as i can, but pretty sure its a Pilch at least.

Why oh why do we need a big teams youngster on loan? Surely we need to develop our own youngsters? Matthews has been on loan enough, McGovern is contracted to us so we really don''t need Gunn, we need a left back and centre backs far more!

Said it on here a month ago, before Farke.

A webber appointment. Young Gunn will be being schooled in Pep''s sweeper keeper style. Cannot see Mcgovern or Rudd fitting that role.

Great move if we can educate our defence in that style of play.

I''m happy to leave the whys and the wherefore to Farke and Webber, all I want to see is young Gunny going for a header on that crossbar. That''ll do it for me, easily pleased I am!

My goodness how I hate the loan system.

All we do when we get Premiership players on loan is to ruin our chances of developing our own young players and help the rich get richer.

A squad of 25 for Premiership teams means nothing when they can have more than twice that number signed on and then loan them out to either prove what they are worth or to get game time at ''lesser'' clubs (as they regard us) and increase the player''s value.

If they don''t want them, and don''t want to play them, sell them to clubs who do and let them develop honestly.

I think it''s a good move.  A highly rated youngster who already has a connection to the club through his father so don''t really see the reason for any negativity.   He just needs to be solid and consistent, something our goalkeepers have lacked in recent times.

i Think if he was not Bryan Gunn''s son and Nobody had heard of him here and with no experience coming in to be No 1

people might feel a little different !

Club confirming it''s a done deal. Let''s hope he lives up to the family name

[quote user="lake district canary"]I think it''s a good move.  A highly rated youngster who already has a connection to the club through his father so don''t really see the reason for any negativity.   He just needs to be solid and consistent, something our goalkeepers have lacked in recent times.

[/quote]

Exactly he needs to be solid and consistent, something not usually associated with young keepers especially ones with no league appearances. I think playing the percentages we were far more likely to get solid and consistent from an experienced player in that particular position. This is a big big gamble if he''s going to be number 1.

I''d have been happier if there was an option to buy at least that way we could be seen to be planning for the future, while he learns.