Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Angus Gunn on loan?

With Man City signing a 35m keeper to compete with Bravo as first choice the rumours have started that we could be in for Angus Gunn on loan. Webber has successfully taken Mooy from Man City last season, so he must have a good relationship with them.

I''ve not seen him play but he is for sure extremely highly regarded by the England set-up and at Man City. This could be quite a coup to have him on a season long loan, even if it did block Rudd and Matthews for another season.

If i remember rightly Man City paid Norwich £250K for him as a youngster back around 2012.

Before even kicking a ball in a first team side i''d imagine he''s worth several millions. Such a shame he left us in such circumstances. But then again, he will have been having outstanding coaching at Man City and so why not take advantage of getting him for a season? If we were to do the unlikely and get promoted, he may even get his chance at the Prem with us for a second season.

Would he really be a better option than Rudd? If yes then clearly we need to move Rudd on!

Can Angus compete with McGovern or should we be looking for someone who can?

When I read that article earlier it seemed someone was just putting 2&2 together, not too sure if we have any real interest.

I''m not at all sure with Rudd. My Charlton friend is certainly not impressed.

I''m afraid he needs moving on and Gunn could be the answer although there some talented goalies about.

Now is not the time for a rookie goal keeper, age isnt the issue but i really believe they need to have clocked up a number of appearances, seen it , done it, come through it. I dont even believe they have to be the best keeper in the world but they need to be steady and consistent so the defence which will most likely be all new can bed in.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Now is not the time for a rookie goal keeper, age isnt the issue but i really believe they need to have clocked up a number of appearances, seen it , done it, come through it. I dont even believe they have to be the best keeper in the world but they need to be steady and consistent so the defence which will most likely be all new can bed in.[/quote]

Yes Yellow Beagle I believe we need someone who is experienced enough to compete with McGovern or someone for McGovern to compete with... Not sure it''s time for young inexperienced Goalies!

"And City''s third-choice keeper also showed how comfortable he is on the ball, always willing to receive possession from his defenders.

Gunn''s willingness to play it out from the back will no doubt impress Pep Guardiola who believes his keepers should act as auxiliary outfield players.

6ft 5in Gunn had spoken last month about his appreciation of Guardiola''s goalkeeper tactic due to it creating more attacking chances up the other end of the pitch.

And he put it into practice against Tottenham to great effect, often passing to centre-backs Tosin Adarabioyo and Cameron Humphreys instead of playing it long over the top."

Could suit Farke''s way of playing and is coming from the level Farke worked at previously, he wouldn''t be expensive either so this seems to fit well. The young keeper Huddersfield loaned in had a great season. Same age as Forster as well when he came here who was awesome in his season here

@Less I hear you. Matthews seemed to really impress at Hamilton. Kept them up with some great saves apparently. First choice? Not for me, but I''d bring him back, get him in and around the squad as 2nd choice if we''re running with Rudd betwixt sticks. If not then loan Matthews out to a L1 club.

I do not like the loan system with young players getting someone like Gunn in when our own young keepers need games and experience whats the point ?

if Rudd / Mathews are not good enough then sign a young keeper who can play

if the club wants to build a young team for the future do it with our player not others

Morgan wrote the following post at 04/06/2017 10:23 AM:

Overrate whom Vw?

Angus was a good academy prospect when he was here, but not outstanding for his age.

[quote user="Crafty Canary"]I would prefer to see our own players given a chance rather than provide development opportunities for other clubs.[/quote]

Absolutely definitely this. How motivated will Rudd and Matthews be if we sign Gunn on loan? Complete waste of money when we already have adequate goalkeepers for the Championship. Even if Rudd moves on for a fee I wouldn''t want us to go for someone else''s youngster when we have our own.

Interesting that during this debate about Gunn Jnr there is mention in several posts about Rudd and Matthews but zilch regarding where that would leave McGovern. I personally would not care a jot if he was to leave.

As for McGovern, would much prefer to see him leave before either Rudd or Matthews and it looks like he will be on his way out. I suspect that matthews is the one most likely to make the grade but he was only OK at Hamilton and that is why I think we need a further keeper.

Good loans work to get the most from a budget; if a loan keeper is needed so we can buy better centre backs I am all for that.

Huddersfield made them work for them last season , and so can we. Just as we did with Fraser Forster.

Owning is always preferable, but in a season when we need so many defenders and defensive midfield players a couple of loans may be needed.

I believe we have a sell on clause with regard to Angus Gunn... which were we to buy him at some later date would mean we would receive a percentage .... of that ... fee.Otherwise I suspect it is no more than the usual Sun fill up pages with 2+2 makes 5NCFC lose RuddMCFC sign another keeperwhat now happens with Angus Gunn.. find a connectionviola, he returns to NCFC

And I fail to understand why developing ''our'' youngsters is more important than having the best possible team. If Gunn is the best available keeper for next season, he should be our no 1.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]I do not like the loan system with young players getting someone like Gunn in when our own young keepers need games and experience whats the point ?

if Rudd / Mathews are not good enough then sign a young keeper who can play

if the club wants to build a young team for the future do it with our player not others[/quote]I don''t remember you talking about the Murphys, Remi Mathews, Carlton Morris doing the same

"If Gunn is the best available keeper for next season, he should be our no 1."

Exactly, blanket principles sound fine but we need the best possible ''keeper for the job.

Young Gunn must have something to excite the early interest of Liverpool, but that club can be impatient at times when it comes to the development of youngsters.

[quote user="Pierre Cidre"]I believe we have a sell on clause with regard to Angus Gunn... which were we to buy him at some later date would mean we would receive a percentage .... of that ... fee.Otherwise I suspect it is no more than the usual Sun fill up pages with 2+2 makes 5NCFC lose RuddMCFC sign another keeperwhat now happens with Angus Gunn.. find a connectionviola, he returns to NCFC [/quote]
I''m shocked that you''re going to be wrong. Again.

It''s all very well saying he shouldn''t come in if we have Rudd and Matthews able to do the job?

But what if Gunn is a better keeper than either of them? Not that improbable a possibility.

As has been said, we need a side made up of the very best player we can get in each position. If Angus is better than what we have got or what we could get-bring him in. Forster was 20 when he came in on loan, no-one said he wasn''t good enough, that we could get better or what we had was better-which included Rudd at the time.

He was immense for us in the League One season. Maybe Angus could be exactly the same. And if he excels, history repeats itself and we go up-we''d have half a chance of signing him, but, even if we couldn''t or didn''t, we would still be back in the Premier League.

And that is all that matters.

Anything that''s come out of the EDP of late has proven correct. Seems the club and the media are talking to each other. Which is good for club/public relations.