Sign in to follow this  
fetchyafathersgun

Howson wants out

On front page of Pink Un, rejected new contract.He is 29 and will be 31 when his contract runs out and a lot can change in 2 years do we sell now for £5m+ i guess or keep him for 2 years. I feel he is the heart the club needs to keep, thoughts?

A more accurate headline would be

"Club wants to sell Howson and puts out cynical spin to prepare the fan base."

Unfortunately too many fans buy everything that comes out of our beloved club and is board hook, line and sinker.

I can see arguments either way for selling Howson or keeping him, all dependant of course on what anyone offers for him but our desperation to sell this summer is beginning to really p**s me off. We must not sacrifice our last season of parachute payments in the same pathetic way we wasted last season. We should be having a real go this season and selling anyone on vaguely decent wages to try and copy Huddersfield Town and get promotion on a shoestring is not the way to go about it.

No surprise to be honest, but I Would expect far more than £5m but also expect him to leave.

Just confirms loyalty is a one way street, fans to club.

Yeah it is simply that he will not extend his contract beyond the existing 2 years. I get it, I get it makes sense for the club to see if some players will sign for longer and if not then it means the club can look for offers.

I''m OK with him going but not to a championship rival. If Burnley want him and will pay then fine but we can''t be helping to strengthen Sunderland or Boro.

There''s going to be a lot of change this summer. I guess it depends whether you trust this new Webber/Farke axis to make the right calls.

Potentially selling Howson, or anyone, is just one of many potentially interesting decisions they''re going to have to make while piecing together the jigsaw.

[quote user="ZLF"]No surprise to be honest, but I Would expect far more than £5m but also expect him to leave.

Just confirms loyalty is a one way street, fans to club.[/quote]

Do you not understand that they will have offered him an extension on about half of the wages he is currently on, possibly purely with the aim of being able to then claim that "they have to sell" because he''s refused to sign a contract extension?

He is not forcing this move this is the club looking for an excuse to cash in that they think the fans will tolerate. I think its pretty cheap from the club to be honest to try and portray the player as forcing the move.

I would add that if we can get good money I can see the rationale for selling Howson, provided that we can use the money to bring in a couple of decent defenders. he''s a great player but not as consistently influential as he should be and goes missing in games too often.

What I object to here is the spin from the club again, really worries me that this is a massive downsizing exercise being spun as rebuilding.

What''s the problem. He has TWO years of his current contract to run. He has rejected any new current deal they wish to offer.

Having committed himself to Norwich until he is 31 previously I really don''t see what all the nonsense above is about. He is still available to the club as a player until then should they wish to play him!!

City 2nd I agree, he doesnt seem the sort to upset the apple cart so would like to think he would honour his 2 years.At 31 he would not have much market value anyway, this has got to be spin from the club to cash in while he has value.

[quote user="City 2nd"]What''s the problem. He has TWO years of his current contract to run. He has rejected any new current deal they wish to offer.

Having committed himself to Norwich until he is 31 previously I really don''t see what all the nonsense above is about. He is still available to the club as a player until then should they wish to play him!![/quote]

Totally agree, some fans just love to make a drama. If we dont get a decent offer he can stay and play the next two years. He''s never come across as a player who would down tools if made to stay, but if he wants out he''s probably giving us our last chance age wise for the club to get a decent fee for him.

He''s been here since Jan 2012, if he stays here until the end of his contract he will have been here 7 and a half years-absolutely no loyalty whatsoever 🙄🙄🙄

If he wants to leave and move back north with his family that is fine. If his agent can find a northern club that will give him the security of a longer contract, and match his current wage, that is even better for him. I would not be overly worried about him going to a Championship rival either. He is a good midfielder, but he can be easily replaced with a younger player.

I''d be gutted if Jonny leaves.

But, this is article seems strange. He hasn''t handed in a transfer request so all is fine, surely?

At 29, the club would be silly to offer him a new contract when they already have him tied down for another two years.

The best contract he could get at another club is for three years, no one will offer more than that. And I''d doubt he''d earn much more elsewhere either.

So keep hold of key player, and review next summer. I''d much rather have 2 years of Howson than £5 million now.

Don''t go Jonny!!

Not overly surprised. Especially since his 2 big mates at the club have left.

Having said that, with 2 years left on his contract it does sound like this could be a fuss over nothing. Maybe even a story being made where there isn''t a story.

we are going to have a shell of a former team and need to rebuild soon so they can gel.

The board have already said we have to sell before we can buy.

Did AN leave the same note Gordon Brown did when he vacated No 10 "sorry all the money has gone"

Will be very sad to see him go, but if he wants to go back up North then I can understand us wanting to cash in on him whilst he has some value -

Let''s not forget our problems last season were compounded by keeping players who apparently didn''t want to be here further. The club have clearly learnt from this so I don''t blame them at all. He is a £10 million pound player easy in today''s market, if we sell for a paltry £3mill or whatever then that will be very disappointing but I will trust Stuart Webber to do the right thing 👍

Firesale omnishambles. Sticking with Hughton? Supporting Neil? It''s a total fiasco. And to think we played PL football once. You couldn''t make it up.

[quote user="Jim Smith"]A more accurate headline would be

"Club wants to sell Howson and puts out cynical spin to prepare the fan base."

Unfortunately too many fans buy everything that comes out of our beloved club and is board hook, line and sinker.

I can see arguments either way for selling Howson or keeping him, all dependant of course on what anyone offers for him but our desperation to sell this summer is beginning to really p**s me off. [/quote]It''s rare that I agree with you Jim, but certainly think this is suspicious. Howson''s been here for over five years, seems settled here, and is under contract for  another two years. Does smack of Webber trying to flog a player at his peak to generate some cash.

[quote user="cotswold canary"]we are going to have a shell of a former team and need to rebuild soon so they can gel.

The board have already said we have to sell before we can buy.

Did AN leave the same note Gordon Brown did when he vacated No 10 "sorry all the money has gone"[/quote]It was Liam Byrne not Gordon Brown.

Revolt in the squad?

How much longer must we endure the unendurable, deal with the undealable and except the unacceptable?

Please get Lambert back to sort out this hideous mess

[quote user="GJP"]Not overly surprised. Especially since his 2 big mates at the club have left.

Having said that, with 2 years left on his contract it does sound like this could be a fuss over nothing. Maybe even a story being made where there isn''t a story.[/quote]

Its not a "non story" because what this story tells you is that he is going to be sold this summer. This story has either been put out by his agent or the club to prepare the ground for the sale and get the fans used to the idea. It seems most likely its come from the club given the "will reluctantly listen to offers" line.

so although it means nothing until an offer comes in this is a clear indication that we are looking to sell him.

In many ways it makes sense to sell a player approaching 30 and use the money to get a younger, perhaps hungrier, replacement. However, I have always felt that he is a classy player and I will miss him if he goes.

[quote user="Highland Canary"]Firesale omnishambles. Sticking with Hughton? Supporting Neil? It''s a total fiasco. And to think we played PL football once. You couldn''t make it up.[/quote]

Of course last season we were being told that we could give Neil time because promotion last season was not essential. Now, largely because the board once again did not act quickly enough, we are dismantling the entire squad this summer. next of course we will be told we have to be patient because rebuilding takes time, time we don''t really have because "self-funding, debt free at all costs" clubs in the championship without premiership tv monies will be the poor relations.

A very misleading headline. When you read the article there is no quote from Howson. Just his representative saying he won''t extend his contract (which still has 2 years to run!) and quotes from Webber along the lines of ''every player has a price''. The article doesn''t back up the headline! I agree with those that have already said it seems like the club (or his representative) are driving this.

I would want Howson here at the end of the transfer window.

Popular player no doubt, given us some great moments and classy goals, but also, not always as influential on the pitch as he might have been. Overall a great servant to the club and will be sad to see him leave, but he is not irreplaceable - and we have exciting young players who can step up into his shoes.

So if the season started tomorrow which of our exciting, young players would be ready to replace him?

We''ve seen glimpses of both but would you really be happy if we sold Howson and then left the space in the squad to Thompson and Godfrey? I assume you don''t see Maddison as a replacement.

When we bought Howson I had a look at a Leeds message board, and their fans had mixes feelings about him going, saying that they liked him, but that he could go "missing" for large parts of some games. It seems that some people on here feel the same.

We have lacked someone to boss the midfield, and sadly Howson isn''t the person to fulfil that role.