Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Jerome allowed to leave

Highland Canary wrote the following post at 2017-06-11 9:35 PM:

Entirely consistent with our current fire sale. Perhaps, he''ll join one of our rivals who will likely appoint managers with the calibre of Monk or Lambert. You couldn''t make it up.

Exactly what have Monk and Lambert achieved recently, aka Swansea and Leeds, Villa and Wolves! You can''t make it up!

And what is this fire sale you talk if? Exactly who have NCFC sold at this current juncture. You couldn''t make it up!

[quote user="The Big Bad Wolf"]At the start I was pleased with how Webber was getting rid of dead wood. Now slightly concerned about how deep these cuts might be and what the quality of replacements will be like. CJ is a good asset at Champs level. Selling to a rival is not a good policy IMO.[/quote]How much of an asset CJ is depends on whether there is a substantial role for someone with his particular strengths given the chosen style of play. If there''s no substantial role for someone with his particular strengths, letting him go does not mean having to find someone, perhaps of "less quality", to do what CJ does. It means finding someone who can play a different role better than Cameron could.

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="The Big Bad Wolf"]At the start I was pleased with how Webber was getting rid of dead wood. Now slightly concerned about how deep these cuts might be and what the quality of replacements will be like. CJ is a good asset at Champs level. Selling to a rival is not a good policy IMO.[/quote]How much of an asset CJ is depends on whether there is a substantial role for someone with his particular strengths given the chosen style of play. If there''s no substantial role for someone with his particular strengths, letting him go does not mean having to find someone, perhaps of "less quality", to do what CJ does. It means finding someone who can play a different role better than Cameron could.[/quote]

I''d agree West Coast Canary, however i cant see any particular style apart from maybe endless hoof ball where Cameron Jerome''s style wouldnt be useful. He''s a good one up top striker the only instance where i think he might struggle is he hasn''t looked that comfortable in a top 2 for awhile.

If I remember rightly Cam signed a new 3 year deal last summer & I read somewhere that Charlie Wyatt reckoned it was well north of the figures people are quoting. That said I think this is one cut too many, I''m not convinced Nelsoncan do an entire season , as he can blow hot & cold from one week to next. Think Cam is not always appreciated by our fans & his departure would leave us looking for at least 2 strikers.

Webber is doing the job he came in to do. Shake the club up and clear the deadwood out. There were far to many players at the club with their carpet slippers on CJ being one of them. Webber done exactly the same at Huddersfield last summer and it worked there.

Jerome has always given everything for the club, but you have to accept that nowadays he misses a lot more than he scores; I see no problem with bringing in two new strikers. Once pre season starts all the current and new players will have to learn a new style of play under Farke.

If he''d have gone last year we probably would have finished about 16th.

As for CJ himself, not sure he''s ever been one to have his ''slippers'' on.

I''m on the fence with this while I really like Jerome and his work rate even if he''s not so clinical however if we get a good fee for him approaching 30 and £20k a week for wages would be very useful, just don''t want to sell to a rival in this league though.

Carlton Morris could well do a similar job given some game time?

A very good all-round striker at Championship level who I, personally, would like to see in the yellow for one more (very important) season.

Even if we are encouraged to sell one or two solid squad members in order to pay for some of the financial follies of past regimes I would still consider unloading Jerome as a step too far.

His valuable contribution throughout the entirety of the season would be expensive to replace, imo.

One more season and young Morris might well be ready to step up, whilst CJ could justify earning a last few bob abroad.

I''m not sure i''ve seen anything to suggest Morris is remotely close to Jerome''s all round game but maybe i''ll happily be proven wrong.

Most championship managers would give a lot to have two strikers like Jerome and Oliveira.  Realistically you need two quality strikers to mount a serious promotion challenge, if you play one up front - just look at how long both of them were out for last season for various reasons.

Having said that, he is getting on.  If the management think he''s on wages that are now a bit high and they can cash in and buy a younger cheaper replacement who''ll be able to do as well or better, then fair enough, it''s their call.  I''d definitely be concerned tho.  He''s one of the players from last season who always gives 100%, the only time I saw him struggle with the formation etc was when all the players around him were obviously unsure about what they should be doing, so you couldn''t single him out for criticism for what was a management issue.

So a definite concern here... we''ll have to see whether this one comes off.

Having said that, like so many things all football transfer decisions, whether you keep or sell, are gambles which sometimes don''t work out !

[quote user=" Green and Yellow"]Webber is doing the job he came in to do. Shake the club up and clear the deadwood out. There were far to many players at the club with their carpet slippers on CJ being one of them. Webber done exactly the same at Huddersfield last summer and it worked there.[/quote]

Cameron Jerome is not "deadwood" that needs to be cleared out. He''s a 15-20 goals a season striker who can be relied upon at this level. Ant team with serious promotion aspirations does not get rid of one of those and replace them with a cheaper, unproven alternative. His effort has always been top notch and I would be very unhappy to see him sold. I think we need a strain of continuity and experience in the squad and for that reason in my view keeping the likes of Jerome and Tettey for at least one more season is the way to go, even if they don''t start every week.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m not sure i''ve seen anything to suggest Morris is remotely close to Jerome''s all round game but maybe i''ll happily be proven wrong.[/quote]

Agreed, always want to see our academy products do well but most won''t make the the senior side as it stands. I would love for Morris to make it, but he''s not really been banging them in for the teams he''s been on loan with in all honesty. This coming season is a make or break year for him I feel.

Cam''s a tough one. He can do it at this level better than most, and I think it''d be a really big ask to replace what he gives for such a small fee. Unless someone offers a very decent amount of money, I''d keep him. After all, how much did Ross McCormack go for, and how old was he? Pretty sure a good couple of years older than Cam.

[quote user="hogesar"]I''m not sure i''ve seen anything to suggest Morris is remotely close to Jerome''s all round game but maybe i''ll happily be proven wrong.[/quote]

Totally agree with the best will in the world Carlton Morris is nowhere near Jeromes ability yet. At the same age Cameron Jerome was cracking the goals in for Cardiff. Morris has alot going for him but i think people are getting abit carried away.

Looks to me that Webber''s role is set out that will will rebuild a team on half the wages of last season ( 50 % a guess )

getting rid of all high earners and replacing them with players on less money

that could work if the players we get are up and coming from lower leagues or lower German teams etc

Naismith for example simply is not worth the money we are paying him someone with less wages may well come in a do the same job maybe even better gamble yes ! but the club needs performers who give the club value for money

paying 35k a week for 6 /10 performance is not working and we need to change

Any new signing will be a gamble no matter what money they earn so better get the wages under control first and see what the season brings

The thing is though Norfolk, he is a proven striker. Expensive to replace. And while I it''s Jerome''s age that probably is against him, I have not seen much diminution in his speed and strength

I like CJ for the reasons that most have stated on here he works hard, he is still quick he seems to have that passion that you want from a player and he also can score goals, but I can understand the situation that we are in and if we can get a decent amount of money for him, and then bring in a decent player who can put the ball in the back of the net and is cheaper on wages then it would seem like a no brainer.

If Ross McCormack is worth 12 million and he has an alleged bad attitude, and is not overall as good as CJ then what is CJ''s value?

Not saying Morris is up to that yet and he hasn''t banged them in for other teams, though Rotherham hardly scored bag loads. Would just be interested to see if he had some of the chances Jerome has got in an attacking team how he would do, not saying we should rely on him as main man, happy if he was 3rd choice this year with Nelson and CJ, if we sign someone though then loan him out to a mid table championship team if we can.

It''s all about the money in this case (among others)... Woulkdn''t like to see him go, but if they pay up we shouldn''t stand in his way.

Tough one to take maybe, but I understand what Webber is trying to do and our wage bill is a big problem.

Neil wanted the lone striker to chase and harass defenders, holding up the ball so runners from midfield can score.

WHICH JEROME DID

He was hardly prolific though was he?

The new regime might want the striker to have scoring goals as priority.

A bit torn tbh. I have always liked CJ as a player and voted for him as POTS this year.Obviously we are looking to reduce the wage bill, but perhaps they are also trying to make space in the squad for newer/ younger players that might fit the tactical plan better?I don''t pretend to be a tactical expert but if Farke is said to play a possession game, it may be that he prefers a striker that drops deep, allowing the wider players to play higher? This is not really CJ''s game.

I want to see us get good money for Jerome and Howson if they leave - both have got a couple of years on their contract and the days of being finished at 30 are long over. Proven Championship players are now starting to go for obscene money, we saw this last season - and I trust and believe that under the new regime we won''t be a soft touch anymore. I would want £7.5mil for Jerome at the very minimum.

Jerome is a player I like and has been an excellent servant to the club. However, the role he plays is a total misfit for a possession based game and IMO this contributed to some of our worst performances this year. If the deal was right for the player and club, I would sell.

From Jerome''s point of view, he''s hot property. He was one of the few positive points from last season, and scored a lot of good goals. I think having him and Oliviera as striking options would be enough in this league, but I guess it all comes down to the options we have ahead. If we bring in a striker who can bag 20+ goals this season, and have Oliveira as an option as well, then Jerome leaving doesn''t seem so bad.

Personally I''d rather we keep him, I like him as a player and he has a great attitude. We certainly shouldn''t be selling him to a rival though.

Jerome is great at this level. We''d struggle to replace him, so definitely keep. His qualities extend beyond the pitch, and his experience and professionalism is great for the club.

I presume most who are happy to sell, along with the likes of Howson and Dorrans, will accept a mid table finish with a season of transition?

[quote user="lincoln canary Golden Coppel"]

I presume most who are happy to sell, along with the likes of Howson and Dorrans, will accept a mid table finish with a season of transition?[/quote]No, because we won''t need one.Vranjic appears to be a very similar player to Dorrans (maybe with slightly more vision), but will have been purchased for half what we''re going to sell Dorrans to Rangers for, and on a far lower wage in the process, so a potential upgrade/sideways signing but at a reduced cost, so nothing to not like there.Howson is a very good player on his day and often his work goes unnoticed, but the problem is that he rarely imposes himself anywhere near as much as he should (and indeed has shown he''s able to), and has struggled to fit directly into any of the setups our management team have selected. He isn''t box-to-box, he isn''t a deep-lying playmaker, he''s not a no 10, he''s not a ''destroyer'' such as Tettey, he''s simply a solid, all-round player who is good in many areas but excels in none, and I personally think we can replace him with someone who''d be more suited to how the new head coach wants to play for a lot less money (wages and transfer fee), whilst recouping a decent transfer sum in the process, again, a potential win-win.Jerome is the one giving me the most difficulty, as he''s absolutely a proven entity at this level, gives 100% every single week, and in truth if his finishing was better, he wouldn''t be playing for us. Can we replace that with a younger, cheaper version? I simply don''t know, but again, if he''s not going to fit into the system/style of play that Farke wants us to play, it''s kind of a moot point anyway, and the sensible choice would be to make the sale.I''m very much looking forward to seeing this ''new look'' side that we''re building, we''ve already moved on a lot of the ''deadwood'', have made what appear to be very sensible (not to mention pro-active) signings, there''s a clear indication we''re going to use our younger players more and even the style of play that Farke prefers is very much the sort of thing we''ve been crying out for having suffered the dross of Hughton and Neil.I wouldn''t expect you to look forward to it though Lincoln, as you''re probably too busy arranging the AGM of the ''Yellow and Green Miserabilist Society" of which you, Keith Scott and Highland are the founder members...

This is one which I find hard, as said at this level Jerome & Oliviera are pretty damn good, much rather keep and get shot of Naismith, Dorrans, Jarvis, Wilds. Surely with the seven gone and this lot gone we should be able to afford Jerome.

It could just be Naismith is our Achilles heal, such high wage and no takers mean we need to trim the rest of the high earners in case we are stuck with him.

As usual IB, you miss the point.

New players take time to settle. They settle better around experienced players who know the club inside out.

If we replace too many players, regardless of ability, a transitional period will follow. And as you point out with your example of Vranjic, the replacements appear to be like for like on ability and not an improvement. Therefore improving the chances of a lower league finish.

Of course it''s all hypothetical at this stage, but we were not far away last season. I appreciate the need to sell, but Howson and Jerome seems illogical given their impact at the club. I''d be working overtime to shift Naismith, Wildshut, Klose & Tettey first.