Sign in to follow this  
Michael Bates

Jerome allowed to leave

Reports on the internet suggesting that Jerome is allowed to leave if an appropriate bid comes in as he is again one of the big wage earners at the club.

http://the72.co.uk/83411/norwich-striker-set-to-leave/

Not too sure i''m happy about this one... For me Jerome is guaranteed 15 goals a season and can be used as a very strong impact sub next season if Oliveira is first choice.

If,I say, if there''s in any truth then I welcome this. If only an indication of the determination on those now in control of having all guns blasting away. This not to criticise Jerome who has never shown less than 100% and has knocked in some memorable goals. If some other club is prepared to take ou what remains of his contract all the better. I suspect we will still have to contribute to those wages with the new club making up the difference. I would expect the same arrangement with Tettey.

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Reports on the internet suggesting that Jerome is allowed to leave if an appropriate bid comes in as he is again one of the big wage earners at the club.

http://the72.co.uk/83411/norwich-striker-set-to-leave/

Not too sure i''m happy about this one... For me Jerome is guaranteed 15 goals a season and can be used as a very strong impact sub next season if Oliveira is first choice.[/quote]

He isn''t guaranteed 15 goals sitting on the bench if olive is first choice

It would be a massive step in the wrong direction if he leaves.

He''s as good as Oliveria just different, not to mention we need to have two strikers of that standard if we are going for promotion in order to keep the other on his toes/rotate and also to cover a long/medium term injury. I wouldnt be happy about this, it will cost alot of money to get in a striker of this standard. If Financially we are that constrained then so be it sell, but this in no way can be good news on a playing front, without doubt we will be substantially weaker without Jerome at Championship level.

The article was a silly rumour in the Daily Mirror, I would ignore it
[url]http://www.pinkun.com/norwich-city/norwich-city-transfer-rumours-canaries-will-listen-to-offers-for-cameron-jerome-with-middlesbrough-and-sunderland-interested-1-5056869[/url]
Read the first sentence
''''The Canaries are ready to offload their top goalscorer from last season according to The Mirror as they bid to cut the wage bill at Carrow Road''''

I think everyone has a price on their head and rightfully so, they failed to deliver last year and all on big wages.

As before we''ve not got rid of any contracted players, makes you think we might well be stuck with a few of them, Jerome won''t be one, a very good player at this level, but on big wages too.

I think we will see Jerome, Howson, Naismith, Dorrans and Klose go before the first game of the season. Just my opinion.

Entirely consistent with our current fire sale. Perhaps, he''ll join one of our rivals who will likely appoint managers with the calibre of Monk or Lambert. You couldn''t make it up.

This is a tough one to be honest.I''m personally of the view that Jerome is one of the better options at this level, and he''s managed 15+ a season for the last 2 times we''ve been in the champs, the problem being that he can''t get anywhere near close to that level of performance in the premier league.Both he and Nelson give us good options upfront depending on how we want to approach the game, both will get goals and they''re a cut above what the average Champs level team has as striker options.However, Jerome will almost certainly be one of the highest earners at the club, will be 32 when his contract is ending, and even if he helps us return to the prem, he''s not likely to get much of a look-in when we are there and will be losing value every single week due to being in the last year of his contract at that point, so are the club thinking that they can remove his wages from the books now, get a decent fee in the process and hopefully re-invest this into a younger option?In truth, I''d probably rather keep Jerome this season than I would Howson (if it was a linear choice between the two), as he''s repeatedly shown not only his performance at this level, but his superb commitment and work rate every single week, and what''s more is that strikers almost always come at a premium price point and aren''t as readily available as a central midfielder.I''d argue that it would be a big, potential mistake to let Jerome go at this point, but if that''s the financial situation we find ourselves in, then we''ll just have to hope that a replacement is just as good, and give CJ the thanks he deserves for his excellent contribution since joining the club.

Mmm! Interesting one, thought he had a good season when we went up but he isn''t getting any younger.

We must have another decent striker lined up surely!!!

If we get offered silly money could we seriously afford to turn it down. After all it could take two seasons to gel a new squad and get promoted, at which time he will be 31!

I know Defoe is older but he is a different class to Jerome.

The guys nearer to 30 who we signed from prem sides will all be available due to high wages. Jerome & Dorrans etc.

All these names being allowed to leave are going to leave us with a totally new look if they all leave, I know people said Webber needed to be ruthless but is he being too ruthless?

It''s turning into an extremely interesting close season!

IMO this would be a step too far. If we sold him we would only have to buy a replacement, pretty sure there wouldn''t be a lot of difference price wise ?

We have to move on from what we are used to.

The criticism of the board has been warranted over the years but they are going for a 180 degree change and we have to accept that it will mean changes and some of our favourites may be moved on.

Cam has been one of our successes and I wish him the best if he gets a good two or three year contract with another club.

It won''t be a ''sale'' if he moves. Another club will need to take on his contract (as above) and I doubt many Championship clubs have that type of money. So if he is on say £20,000 a week that is £1m this coming season. If another club offers say £10,000pw it will be put up as he has been sold for £500,000... which will over excite the usual halfwits.If we are to ''start again'' then we will be looking at the players like Watkins. It will be almost a new squad I would suggest. Those with no ideas of how it ''used to be'' but how it is now. However it is all speculation based on one report, but I shall not be displeased if it turns out wrong.

To Sunderland or Boro though. Even if it ''halps cut the wages down buh'' this is surely not smart management.Unless Marley Watkins is considered a genuine option up top it would probably mean 2 need to come in. Suppose with a signign and a loan it could happen but yeah, really not seeing it.

Not happy if Cameron goes. A good player, a good pro for youngsters to learn off, and always gives 100%.

First Canary to score at Wembley - he can dine out on that for a long time.

There''s plenty of championship sides who could and would pay Jerome £20k a week. And the 2 rumoured sides Sunderland & Boro are just 2 of those. Sides like Hull, Sheff W, Wolves, A.Villa, Derby, Fulham, Birmingham will all be paying players £20k+ a week.

It''s a bit different than say a Naismith where you would struggle to find a championship side willing to pay £50k a week. There will be interestin Jerome I don''t doubt that. If we sell Jerome we would get a fee and someone paying his wages in full.

For the little fee we would receive, would we really be able to replace someone like Cam for the same or less money? Our scouts would really have to earn their corn there!.

Would be disappointed as he is a very good player at this level and as someone said he''s just as good as Oliveira only has different attributes.

He would strengthen any potential rival and on top of that we would be down a guaranteed 15 goal a season striker .

Well it depends on what gems are scouting team and Farke & Webber can come up with. Maybe Oliviera a new quick addition and Morris are maybe going to be our strikers.

I wouldn''t personally object to Morris being around the 1st team squad a bit more.

[quote user="Move Klose"]There''s plenty of championship sides who could and would pay Jerome £20k a week. And the 2 rumoured sides Sunderland & Boro are just 2 of those. Sides like Hull, Sheff W, Wolves, A.Villa, Derby, Fulham, Birmingham will all be paying players £20k+ a week.

It''s a bit different than say a Naismith where you would struggle to find a championship side willing to pay £50k a week. There will be interestin Jerome I don''t doubt that. If we sell Jerome we would get a fee and someone paying his wages in full.[/quote]so what was he on before the pay cut due to relegation ?

There is logic in a sale.

To raise money you must sell assets with value. In our situation that means clubs with money at our level or above.

Jerome is not a guaranteed starter, indeed in a one central 9 formation, he is either clearly or arguably behind Oliveira.

If we are to play a fluid, yet balanced formation with pacy, young 3/4 players, he no longer fits all of these criteria.

The future will be investing time, coaching and opportunity in our potential (and de-facto cheaper, younger) resources.

This means fluid and more prominent roles for the Murphys of this world. I would expect fresh thinking, tactics and approaches, with Josh Murphy playing in more attacking, more central roles, the likes of Watkins playing in an attacking set up and likely running in behind, or even a ''back four occupying'' role.

If some millions or two are available for a non-starting Jerome, who is on high wages and beyond 30, it can viewed as a now - slightly ahead of desired - or ultimately too late. Absolute perfection is rarely on offer.

If there is genuine, credible interest that suits Jerome, it would be a relatively straightforward decision to sell.

Parma

so what was he on before the pay cut due to relegation ?

Naismith did not have a wage drop due to relegation that was the reasons he came here

his first choice was sunderland he didn''t want to move his family south at the time

the only way we could sign him was NOT to add a relegation pay cut

As for Jerome to sign a player for half his fee and half is wages is a big ask for me Jerome effort 100 % finishing always been hit and miss

At the start I was pleased with how Webber was getting rid of dead wood. Now slightly concerned about how deep these cuts might be and what the quality of replacements will be like. CJ is a good asset at Champs level. Selling to a rival is not a good policy IMO.

How far is Webber going to go if true. Jerome might be on good money but we need his experience he is a 100 per cent player,Then Webber goes and buy an unproven player, who doesn''t do the business where do we go from hereIf this all goes tits up who will get the sack Webber or Farke I know who it will be I think this man might have egg on his face watch this space OTBC

[quote user="The Big Bad Wolf"]At the start I was pleased with how Webber was getting rid of dead wood. Now slightly concerned about how deep these cuts might be and what the quality of replacements will be like. CJ is a good asset at Champs level. Selling to a rival is not a good policy IMO.[/quote][Y]