Sign in to follow this  
Colourful Canary

No surprise McGovern staying...

Assuming Gunn is coming here to be first choice, McGovern is perfectly good enough as backup in the Champs so no surprise at all.

BTW reading up about Angus I went to the Wikipedia entry on his Dad and was amused to read that after the Highbury brawl of ''89 against Arsenal, Brian was fined 2 weeks'' wages by City which the article says was £800 , which translates into an annual salary of £20,800 if my maths is right ?

Doubt Mcgovern will be staying. Signed on a free so probably on a good wage on the back of a good tournament. Supposedly turned down couple of prem moves to come here. Will definately be one of the ones we will be looking to move on.

Gunn matthews & Jones will be adequate in that department.

I should think that was his basic pay if the team achieved nothing ICF. In the back of my mind I seem to remember big fat Bob saying that the salaries were very much linked to league position.

You''d hope so NN !  But it still puts it into perspective a bit.

I seem to remember when Mike Walker left us to join Everton he was on £50k per year which was the lowest any manager was paid in the Prem.

Again I should think the same applies ICF. We could never compete on basic with the big boys and you can''t blame players and managers leaving if they can earn more money without it being linked to the performance of others.

[quote user="Its Character Forming"]BTW reading up about Angus I went to the Wikipedia entry on his Dad and was amused to read that after the Highbury brawl of ''89 against Arsenal, Brian was fined 2 weeks'' wages by City which the article says was £800 , which translates into an annual salary of £20,800 if my maths is right ?[/quote]Basic might well be right, but in Gunny''s book, he says that we had one of the best bonus systems in the league, with bonuses going up each game if they won, staying the same if they drew and only dropping back to the starting win bonus if they lost!It meant that a string of victories and draws could easily see players doubling or even tripling their basic wage!

I believe that

On the other hand, if we are signing one or two big defenders who are good in the air, and can actually head the ball, perhaps there is a place for the keeper.

Gunn Matthews and Jones adequate

Gunn unproven

Matthews unproven

Would think we need a top class keeper urgently

McGovern is okay at this level. Not as good as Ruddy IMO, but perfectly good backup to Gunn, assuming he is better than Ruddy...

So all in all, potentially a better position than last season, plus a few pennies from the sale of Rudd and another player off the wage book