Sign in to follow this  
Lewis DW

Jacob Murphy - Putting himself in the shop-window?

Jacob Murphy is in the England U21 Squad, He''s playing well, He''s scoring ridiculous goals in training that are being ''shared'' around the world by the likes of Rio Ferdinand. He had a decent full season with Norwich - and was one of the stand out players. My question is... Could he be one of the players on the way out this Summer? If Pickford is joining Everton for £30 million. Lookman also cost Everton £10-12 million.... If Norwich got a bid of £10 million would they turn it down? If he has a blinder of a tournament could he fetch as much as £15 million? I just wonder if he is going to play himself in a PL move at this tournament. He''s come along way since Reading had a £500k bid for him turned down last Summer. If I were an Everton or a Southampton - I''d be looking at players like Murphy. I can see him at Spurs too.  

It would obviously be a shame, but it wouldn''t surprise me if we cashed in on one of them in the not too distant future.

But isn''t that the model we''re setting ourselves up to be, a hotbed for youth talent to springboard to bigger things?

Didn''t he sign a 4 and 1/2 year contract?Why sell now, his value is likely to go up? Surely the point is to cash in on those who values are likely to decline as they approach their late 20s - eg Dorrans, Howson etc.

There was a rumoured link with Liverpool last season, something like £6m + him coming back on loan - perhaps something like that might prove a bit tempting

i think with the two Murphy''s we have to put silly prices on them they could go a long way if the keep improving

i would prefer them than Redmond as i think they are more direct with better end product

i would say min £15 million

if he stars at the under 21''s £20 miilion

if he was at a french or spainish club he would be in that price range so why not us

No way a £20 million player. A loan to a League One Team and a season at a mid-table Championship club doesn''t make you a £20 million pound player. There is potential and yes he''s developing - but £20 million is laughable! 4 and a half year contract??!!! YES BECAUSE EVERY CONTRACT TIES THE PLAYER TO THE CLUB FOR THE EXACT TIME AND THEY CAN''T LEAVE UNTIL THE CONTRACT IS UP? Jeez! Narrow minded much?

The fact he''s got 4 years means something because we would have the higher ground in negotiation. If he were to move this summer (I highly doubt it) I reckon we''d get a decent cunk more than we got for Redmond on 1 year, even if he''s not a better player.

so lewis the STAR of the under 21''s is not a £20 million player ? ( if he is the star of course )

i said if he was the star of the under 21''s

also i said 15 million now as his potential is huge if he carries on improving

have you seen what the likes of the top teams are paying for potential and when you sign a youngster that''s all it is

Murphy has done everything asked of him and is doing it well now if he shines at the under 21''s top goal scorer fantastic goal etc his price and interest will rocket

i notice you did not put a on price him ?

i would say anything less than 15 million is very cheap indeed

Agree with N&G, let''s get into the big time with our salesmanship even if we cannot get there with our purchasing power.

Both Murphys have got better by the season in accord with their talent and potential. Their respective progressions can be chartered as per the norm. They are both as destined for bigger things as most other promising youngsters on the scene at the moment.

The likes of Rashford and Alli are few and far between, the rest progress with time.

If we need to sell then make it worthwhile, even if it needs extensive add-ons.

Jacob has obvious quality, but just how much more he can develop is the real question. He is 22 now and most youth coaches will say beyond the age of 23 there isn''t a lot more they can get out of a player in terms of technique.

He has been scouted by numerous Premier League clubs and is certainly on many team''s radars - I would be surprised if there are some enquiries over the summer.

He isn''t a £20m player, if he was 19 and doing was he did this season then maybe he would be.

I reckon if a couple of clubs were interested in him then Norwich could get £12m - £13m, although with a large chunk in performance related payments. The long contracts mean Norwich can drive a harder bargain, but doesn''t mean they won''t sell. If Murphy storms it this summer then the price could go up, but I''m not sure he is even a starter for the U21s at the moment. (Redmond and Grey are in the wide positions).

While Redmond was ''only'' £10m - that was made in one large, upfront payment (with some sell on clauses). Which is always preferable for a selling club.

I like to (try and) believe that the Murphy''s will stay with us. They love the club, they''re fans and they have been brought up in the local area.However, there will always come a time when they are attracting serious interest and in our current financial state we may not be able to turn it down. Josh started playing terrifically well towards the end of last season too, so we shouldn''t forget about him. Although the fact that Jacob has made the U21''s probably makes him a slightly more mouth-watering prospect for some Prem teams right now (not that it should, really).It is also worth noting that Rio is affiliated to a sports management agency of which Jacob and Josh are clients. He''s probably trying to drum up some extra interest because he''d make money off the back of any potential sale.Let''s put it this way. If Jacob does have a storming tournament and then we end up selling him for 8 million or something I would be annoyed. I think he warrants a higher fee, especially with the money Premier League clubs chuck around on players that turn out to be average in the Prem. He''s had experience of English football and has done well at it, so why shouldn''t we ask for 12-15 million?

Bethnal Broadstairs & Bob

i totally agree i am not saying he is worth £20 million but if he was one of the stars of the under 21''s and keeps grabbing headlines like scoring from his own half etc / showcasing his talent and progress like he has done that is exactly what i would be asking

Not many youngsters are worth £20 mil ?? hardly any to be fair like Pickford is not worth the reported £25 / £30 million that Everton just paid !

but these cash rich top teams will pay that for potential and both the Murphys have that

I don''t think that any player is worth £20M, but I suspect that it would take an offer north of that to prise Jacob away this summer. A bit of perspective. A goalkeeper from a side that have just been relegated has gone for £25-30M, a defender that played for a relegated side has just been sold for £17M. It is not a matter of player value any more, it is a matter of how much a Premier League side is prepared to pay for said player. Money is now no object for 90% of top flight sides in England at the moment. I mean look at how much Everton and Man City have splashed out between them in the last couple of weeks, at least £130M on just four players, 2 of them goalkeepers!!!! So when goalkeepers are being bought for £30M+ you shouldn''t be surprised if you are expected to have to pay £20M+ for a player like Jacob Murphy.

It won''t be up to us.Players have clauses in their which allow them to move if certain offers are made - so it is not about wicked old Norwich flogging off players.Whilst the wages will always be far better, it won''t be of much use if the player is sat on the bench. I can''t see either lads ready for the PL yet.Maybe a club will take a punt ono ne of them then loan him back to us.At that age it is paramount that they are playing, and at the right level.I trust the club/coaches etc to know where that isAs to any supposed shop window that is absurd. Players are being watched scouted all the time - as we did with Maddison.Otherwise what will be, will be.

Whilst i doubt he will go anywhere this summer, if he did, we are pretty well stocked in his position. Presumably Matt (the crock) jarvis will be ready by August, his brother, naismith, Watkins, wildschut and even the likes of howson and pritchard could plug the gap.

That''s before even thinking of any potential new signings that may happen and also without thinking we would go to wing backs or the 2 number 10s formation that Farke has used before.

It''s a tough problem to have. We obviously need to sell a few players if we want to significantly shuffle the pack but the ones you want to keep are usually the ones that command the interest. The likes of naismith and jarvis, we just have to try either getting more out of them as both have proven premiership quality in the past or we take a massive hit.

I still think Josh has more natural quality over his brother just his brother has edged ahead with experience and proven performances. That goal against Everton was insane! I hope some point this season we see them both start together.