Sign in to follow this  
george   melville

Neil Adams??? was he ever that good a player because he certainly is not good at presenting!!!

I am a barclay boy through and through and after every match i turn on the radio only to listen to neil adams rubbish radio call in. Am i the only person who rates it as a load of bilge, and does anyone know when Roy Waller is coming back?

well played mcveigh for staying at norwich you played excepionally well at the plymouth and ipswich game and you are just what we need to get promoted, a bit of firepower??

ANYONE AGREE?????? POST MESSAGES.

Mr Adams was a fantastic crosser of the ball when he had space. For a winger he was not the best at getting past the full back though.

I dont live in Norfolk so I cant comment on his radio skills but for years he did have a rubbish, my mum did it, hair cut.

Easy George! Was Neil Adams any good? He had quality and wasn''t too bad at penalty kicks either! As for the phone in I listen most weeks and the standard of callers is pretty poor but that isn''t Neils fault. Most of the callers call in with negative comments even though they haven''t been to the game ( no I''m not haven''t a dig 1st Wiz!!) and are just calling to have a moan. Have some respect Barclay Boy.

It is unlikely that Roy will be back commentating for a while (heard from someone who often plays golf with him) and besides he has only just got back on the radio so we''ll be listening to Boreham for the forseeable future.

As for Neil, there are lots of threads on the topic - use the search function! I think he is good, but don''t forget he has to answer questions which are utter pap a lot of the time. NFN springs to mind to describe many of the callers.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions - but newbies'' comments tend to carry less weight than the long term posters - and my personal opinion is that he was a good footballer and has made a pretty good transformation into a sports journalist. He still has friends at the club (and he is a member of staff), so he can never be too scathing about NW or a player, but surely it is his job to present as neutral an opinion as possible (remember Norfolk is his adopted home as he is still a Stoke boy at heart, so he can be that bit more neutral - he could have gone back to Oldham or Stoke, but he chose us!)   

I used to enjoy Adams commentery but his recent defending of Flemming and other people at the club has been too much.

Even Worthy doesn`t agree with Adams as he has dropped Flemming.

As loyal as Adams is to cerain players and people at the club he should be reminded that its the FANS who keep him in a job.

We pay our dues to canaries world to recieve his commentary and he should be more in tune with what the fans are thinking.

He had no problem laying into the fans last year for leaving some games early yet never lays into certain players or management when its obvious that something is not right. 

This subject has come up time and time again on here and is now getting a bit repetative.  As in all walks of life you either like something or someone or you don''t.  Me personally I like him thinking he gives a well balanced account of what happens stating if we played well and not afraid to say if we played poorly.  No doubt there will be hundreds who disagree with me and hundreds that agree but there again that is the same with any subject is''nt it.  

Sorry I have to disagree with you.

Firstly Neil Adams was a decent right winger. Granted he lacked the flair and pace the likes of Eadie, Fox, and Gordon possessed down our flanks over recent years, but he was a quality player in terms of technique. He was excellent at set pieces and scored many memorable free kicks, the one against QPR (?) springs to mind from fully 30 yards. And he was also an excellent penalty taker. He could also put in a decent cross too, something we''ve been unable to do for years. I remember one season when he scored 16 goals for us! Pretty impressive for a winger. Of course I also remember his spectacular own goal V Reading at Elm Park in the final 3 minutes, where I was almost thrown out of the ground for shouting abuse at the linesman! I think he should be reminded of this on Canary Call this weekend!

As for his performance on the radio, I think he does a manful job. A lot of people criticise him as he always tends to defend the team. But that''s largely because he''s applying a bit of sense to the call and balancing the argument as a lot of fans just phone up and let off steam, usually at that month''s scapegoat.

I disagree.
As to your post title, yes, he was pretty good as a player actually.
I remember we sold Ruel Fox for 2.25m and bought Adams for a couple of hundred k from Oldham.
I was at his debut at Carrow Road and he impressed from the word go, very hardworking, a 90 minute player, not too tricky but very direct and a good crosser.
Scored loads of penalties for us too.

Adams was a good tidy player.  Also, exceptional at penalties - from memory, he only missed one in his career.

Rubbish commentator though....

george how old are you???????????
neil adams was a quality player .
he most certainly has a good point of view on the game
reads it very well like an ex pro would .
maybe he does not give the answers you would like to hear!!
if i were you i would tune in and listen you might learn something

Lets be honest George, Neil isn''t going to bite off the hand that feeds him is he!? Radio Norfolk, their commentary, and staff are effectively paid through the club. In Iwan Roberts'' biography, he states that there were occasions when Roy Waller pi$$ed of the team for a few negative comments he made.

I''m guessing your main annoyance is his lack of critisism of players. Lets be honest, if he were to say player x played crap, and player y should be sold, then he would be fired, and radio norfolk would probably lose their interviews, and in time, all of their commentary too canaries world - arghhhhh!!!

He was a good player when at the club, so don''t go insulting a player who hasn''t been properly replaced in 10 years.

And another thing, don''t use stupid fonts like that, it just annoys everyone

Neil Adams was a donkey as a player, so it''s no surprise that what comes out of his mouth on Radio Norfolk is little more than the sound of braying. Luckily he only does the co-commentary and phone-ins so he can be ignored fairly easily. So the answer to your problem? Don''t listen to Radio Norfolk phone-ins, and try and blank out his inane comments during match commentary. Instead, have a talk to real city fans during/after games, down the pub, at work etc.

As to your second point, yes McVeigh has made a difference since his return. I think we would all like to see a return of the quality, creative McVeigh that took us to the play-off final.

[quote]Neil Adams was a donkey as a player, so it''s no surprise that what comes out of his mouth on Radio Norfolk is little more than the sound of braying. Luckily he only does the co-commentary and phone-in...[/quote]

A donkey?
Well done, you''ve just confirmed that you never saw him play.
I assume you started supporting Norwich after promotion to the Prem and are finding it a bit tough now.

[quote]Neil Adams was a donkey as a player, so it''s no surprise that what comes out of his mouth on Radio Norfolk is little more than the sound of braying. Luckily he only does the co-commentary and phone-in...[/quote]

Does that mean you were a toilet as a player?! How very unusual...

The topic starter says he is a barclay boy through and through.. yet claims he listens to games on the radio.. i do wonder just how long hes been a city fan considering it was only 6 years ago that Adams played for us??? or is he another bandwagon jumper?

Neil adams was a good player, he was no Ruel fox or Darren Eadie but he could cross, worked hard, and chipped in with a fair few goals.. both from the spot and open play.... we could do with someone like him today i thought!