Sign in to follow this  
Midlands Yellow

Favourite away day

Irrelevant of the result what ground do you look forward to visiting or have visited . Always liked Hillsborough my self and have heard good reports on Craven Cottage .

WBA as first away game with my lad, few years ago.

Plus done villa last two seasons, no particular reason, just always nice an easy trip, decent grounds/views etc.

Anfield, last game of the Kop, Jerry Goss last ever scorer at the kop, 1-0 win. Met Robbie Fowler in a pub shortly after, how gutted he was to have lost then have to watch me in my canary shirt (our European blue shirt) stuffing lagers down my neck.

Close second, Wembley playoff final.

Always like going to the North East, especially St James though don''t get much from it, generally like the geordies.

Mind you like going to Portaloo Rd, usually an easy 3 points and the natives get so emotional.

in the old days Birmingham was always good to get the hairs on the back of your neck stand up with the fence around the outside of the way end !

Fulham was good as the open stand was good for standing as long as it did not rain

watford was also funny when you walked through the allotments

Crystal Palace worse rubbish stand and a pain to get to if you drove yourself

Watford-my hometown club, and the ground where I watched my first football matches. It''s a 10 minute drive on a non-matchday, so it doesn''t really feel like an away game!

I was there for work last month and tried to envisage the ground as it was back in 1976-it has changed beyond recognition.

Also QPR, my granddad was a director there in the 50s, and he died before I was born, so somehow I feel a connection there.

nofolkngood, the allotments are going-or have already gone-as there is a huge area being developed around the football ground and the hospital. The allotment holders have appealed the decision and it''s gone to the Secretary of State 3 times, the Royal Courts of Justice-it''s been a huge story in Watford over the last 4 years.

I''ll have to be a real pleb and say Man Utd.  We''ve had some good results there over the years and when we went up in 2011 the visit there was superb, a match that we nearly won, with our team of low cost ex-league one hopefuls.

Brighton (Goldstone) as my first away game

Wembley, been twice and see us win both

Yeovil and Cambridge (back in the 80s) because they were ''proper'' grounds

Binners - oh yes (especially thanks to Martin O''Neill''s last minute free kick)

So, not really one favourite, sorry.

I enjoy the London clubs, especially when the weather is as good as today. This is because I take the train and always get there early. In London there''s plenty to see plus coz'' I''ve taken the train I can stop off for ''refreshments''

Barnsley for me, followed by Fulham.

Always fancied a return to Hartlepool after a great August trip up there when we were in League 1.

Fulham is a combination of the best and the worst.

The walk from the trainstation in the summer is misleading. Lovely parks, people sunbathing, children laughing...just when you think it''s a bit too warm...BOOM a slushie stand appears. As you finish your walk into the stadium you wonder if a first game of the season with an exciting pre season could get any better.....

Then you lose 5-0, leaving with the fundamental belief that even though you''re half cut and dreadfully unfit alongside significant sunstroke youd have done a significantly better job than Michael Turner that day.

Sunstroke Hog? I remember nearly getting hypothermia not that long ago, sitting on the left side of the stand with the wind coming in off the Thames! 💨💨💨

London clubs...I remember Flecky getting the winner at Chelsea with Beasant in goal. Devestated White Hart Lane has been broken down as well as Highbury...remember our win there in 92/93 season?

I liked West Ham at their old ground too...

Best ground new Emirates, best fans WBA, really great time everytime we went there, good pub which served Thia food in the rear garden area.

But my favourite day out Anfield when we beat them with a Goss cracker in 94. Their fans after the game were superb.

Winning at Anfield has always been special. I didn''t make the Goss/Kop game but I did see a 2-0 win there, approx 1983, Martin O''Neill again.............

Totally agree, considering how vociferous their bitter Brummie neighbors are it''s little surprising just how the three times I''ve had the pleasure of visiting their ground has been a real pleasure.

Before my good wife retired her former company bought a large company in the midlands and one of their shops was round the corner from the ground, easy parking for us.

[quote user="Canary Top Hat"]Can''t believe how few of you have the binners as your best away day makes me wonder how many of you actually travel[/quote]Agree with this CTH.It''s got better recently especially as we''re getting better results and the Old Bill are more relaxed but back in the day being herded from the station flanked by horses and snarling dogs only to be hammered on the pitch didn''t exactly enhance my '' customer experience ''. Results aside Fulham and the Amex are good trips but West Brom is even better as we usually do well there and there''s the fabulous '' Vine '' pub.Best way day ever has got to be Paulton Rovers. Lovely little club who pushed the boat out to welcome us.

Yes indeed Fenway. I remember him trying to stretch to cut out a pass, and gifting us a goal. Both were up our ''end''.

I had to travel on my own, from Hereford, that day, and get a bus through the City, and didn''t want to open my mouth, more than I needed to!

It was very special, as Liverpool were a great team back then, and the victory was a sweet moment. I certainly shut my mouth, back to the train station, afterwards!