Sign in to follow this  
Woodman

Jacob in U21 England tournament squad

Great achievement for his season:

Full squad:

Goalkeepers: Angus Gunn (Manchester City), Jonathan Mitchell (Derby County), Jordan Pickford (Sunderland).

Defenders: Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Ben Chilwell (Leicester City), Kortney Hause (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Rob Holding (Arsenal), Mason Holgate (Everton), Dominic Iorfa (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Alfie Mawson (Swansea City), Jack Stephens (Southampton), Matt Targett (Southampton).

Midfielders: Lewis Baker (Chelsea), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Jack Grealish (Aston Villa), Will Hughes (Derby County), John Swift (Reading), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton).

Forwards: Tammy Abraham (Chelsea), Demarai Gray (Leicester City), Jacob Murphy (Norwich City), Nathan Redmond (Southampton), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham).

Wonder if any of those defenders might be available on loan?

A bit of a wake up call for Josh.

Let''s hope that he will be even more fired up for the coming season as a result of being ignored.

Simple answer, not many, but the rules allow it (U21 at the start of the competition). Redmond is one of the oldest.

GK

Jordan Pickford - 7 March 1994 (age 23)

Angus Gunn - 22 January 1996 (age 21)

Jonathan Mitchell - 24 November 1994 (age 22)and Derby

Joe Wildsmith - 28 December 1995 (age 21)

DF

Calum Chambers - 20 January 1995 (age 22)

Matt Targett - 8 September 1995 (age 21)

Dominic Iorfa - 24 June 1995 (age 21)

Kortney Hause - 16 July 1995 (age 21)

Jack Stephens - 27 January 1994 (age 23)

Rob Holding - 20 September 1995 (age 21)

Ben Chilwell - 21 December 1996 (age 20)

Mason Holgate - 22 October 1996 (age 20)

Alfie Mawson - 19 January 1994 (age 23)

Sam McQueen - 6 February 1995 (age 22)

MF

Nathaniel Chalobah - 12 December 1994 (age 22)

James Ward-Prowse - 1 November 1994 (age 22)

Will Hughes - 7 April 1995 (age 22)

Ruben Loftus-Cheek - 23 January 1996 (age 21)

Lewis Baker - 25 April 1995 (age 22)

John Swift - 23 June 1995 (age 21)

Jack Grealish - 10 September 1995 (age 21)

Isaiah Brown - 7 January 1997 (age 20)

Nathan Redmond - 6 March 1994 (age 23)

FW

Cauley Woodrow - 2 December 1994 (age 22)

Tammy Abraham - 2 October 1997 (age 19)

Demarai Gray - 28 June 1996 (age 20)

Jacob Murphy - 24 February 1995 (age 22)

Patrick Roberts - 5 February 1997 (age 20)

[quote user="Michael Bates"]Quite surprised Josh isn''t in the squad considering he is the better of the two imo.[/quote]Which is why Jacob has played twice as many games and minutes this season as Josh has, because clearly he''s the weaker player...Have to say that I think they''re both great prospects, and if Josh can kick on and get some consistency and make not quite as many unforced errors, I can easily see both representing England at some point.

Also, there''s a whole host of ''better'' players who qualify who won''t be there:

Luke Shaw, John Stones, Nick Powell, Dele Alli, Harry Winks, Josh Onomah, Duncan Watmore, Raheem Sterling, Chuba Akpom, Jordan Ibe, Dominic Solanke and of course, Marcus Rashford.

With no full international Euros or World Cup this summer, this is the one tournament that we can follow until the pre-season friendlies start in July!

TV schedule (all on Sky Sports 1):

http://www.live-footballontv.com/uefa-under-21-championship-on-tv.html

England Group games:

Fri 16/6 5pm: v Sweden

Mon 19/6 5pm: v Slovakia

Thur 22/6 7.45pm: v Poland

Semis:

Tue 27/6: 5pm or 8pm

Final:

Fri 30/6: 7.45pm

Yes Jacob started the season in the side but that doesn''t change my opinion at all. The most in form player of the two before the season ended was Josh and I believe he has the better end product of the two. However you could argue Jacob learnt the defensive side quicker than Josh for AN hence the more starts etc.. this is only my opinion but I expect Josh to have a bigger impact next season as I believe him to be the better of the two.

Anyone know how a 23 year old can qualify? I understand 22 - age at start of the season - but 23?

From the Wikipedia, page: "To be eligible for the campaign ending in 2017, players need to be born on or after 1st January 1994." Qualification began in 2015 (so players would be 21 or under at the time).

Does seem a bit strange, guess it''d be difficult to pick a team of U21s based on their dates of birth at the time of the match.

They have to be under 21 at the start of qualifying. It wouldn''t make sense otherwise, as near enough all the players that worked through the slog of qualifying over the 2yrs couldn''t play in the tournament at the end.

Well done Jacob, I hope our new manager gives players like him, his brother, Maddison, Godfrey and Thompson a good crack before replacing them with new signings - we do have quality there

Don''t forget the U21 game kicks off early this evening - 5.00pm our time on SkySports1. Don''t know yet if Angus and Jacob are starting...

There''s a part of me that wants Pickford to make lots of mistakes, but then I want England to win!

Anyhow back to Jacob, hopefully will be a little star in this tournament, but not too good as we don''t want to lose our best players this summer!

I hate it, on the one hand really want home to shine and be the best player there but in the situation we find ourselves in with the likes of Jarvis Sicknote and Semaphore Naismith still on our books this tournament might show just how much potential this lad has got!

Ian Dennis reports "Jacob Murphy has been England''s bright spark down the right but neither side enjoyed a sustained spell of pressure" on BBC summary of an otherwise "dull" first half.

Thought he started well, but faded in the 2nd half - but so did the rest of the team. They didn''t seem to have any idea how to break down the Swedish defence.

Diane''s right, the next game is tonight - 5pm kick off UK time .

"Thought he started well, but faded in the 2nd half."

Yes. I watched that game and didn''t think Jacob had a particularly good time but I may have been over-critical as the Times reporter said that he was the "leading light in England''s attack in the first half."

He should be the fittest player to begin training at Colney as a result of his participation in this competition but we wouldn''t want a degree of burn-out. He does often fade in the latter stages of games.

Yup, has been omitted as we are apparently switching to a 4-4-2 instead of 4-2-3-1; oddly, Beeb says this should suit Redmond more, as he''s surely used to the former.