Sign in to follow this  
Baldyboy

Best ground in the world you've seen a game at

Post about best away days got me thinking.

I am lucky enough to have seen games all over Europe so where else have people seen games?

I used to watch MG home games in Germany in the 90s when I was over there with the RAF, but the best ground I went to was to watch a friendly between Real Madrid and Penarol at the Bernabeau, kicked off at 10.30pm and finished at quarter past midnight! 95,000 people for a friendly! It was an amazing experience in an air conditioned stadium!

I went to a pre-season NCFC friendly in Braga a few years back, fantastic stadium. Haven''t been to many stadiums abroad, but the San Siro was a particular highlight.

Olympic Ljubljana. Lovely brand new, but well designed bowl. Nobody there though.Camp Nou. Just immense, no other words to explain it.Wembley. Brilliantly designed and with great views no matter where you sit.

It wasn''t brilliant when I went. More of a sunday social where most went to catch up on gossip from their mates. They could have stayed at home and stuck it on TV as background noise.

Watched Fluminense play at the Maracana in the early 90s,when travelling around S America.

Only a quarter full but still a febrile atmosphere involving opposing fans charging each other around the concrete bowl.

When the linesman disallowed a goal for offside, he was punched and kicked by the Fluminense supporters - never seen anything like it!

Mile High stadium in Denver is nice, if you want to watch some baseball in a proper stadium then it has to be Fenway park ! 😀

Wembley twice

Norwich v Sunderland milk cup

England v Spain euro 96

Both times the right result but the atmosphere! Wow just a joy to be in:)))

Three River stadium Pittsburgh great old school baseball stadium

also Penn State university is something when full 105,000 + people going nuts !!

Not seen a game there, but did the Stadium tour, the Camp Nou is pretty awesome, and I could only wonder what it must be like when a capacity crowd are ''on it''.

I''m lucky that my work has allowed me to go around Europe and watch football in some great stadiums.

The Juventus Stadium is hard to beat for atmosphere. They took the bold decision to demolish their 69,000 seater stadium and replace it with a 41,500 seater, but with the fans much closer the pitch and much improved atmosphere.

Stad Velodrome in Marsellie is fantastic - even better with the roof which keeps the noise inside the ground.

It is an obvious choice but the best stadium/atmosphere I have ever experienced is at Dortmund''s Westfalenstadion - it really is unbeatable.

The weirdest game/stadium I''ve ever been to was the North Korea v Japan world cup qualifier in 2011 - in Pyongyang. 50,000 fans, all carrying out choreographed chants and flag waving. Most of the ''spectators'' there were brought in from the North Korean army.

Talking of repressed states.

The Afgan national stadium in Kabul whilst the Taliban ruled must have offered a fun experience.

Officials walked around with canes beating anybody who got over-excited and the was often a public execution at half-time which was held in the centre circle.

(I refused my ticket when I found out that you couldn''t get a beer at half-time.)

Stozice Stadium - Slovenia England.

Great game, two really good goals from Jack Wilshire and a late Rooney winner.

Slovenia fans (and England to be fair) were awesome.

Great atmosphere.

1. Millennium Stadium - Norwich v Brum - Roof closed, atmosphere was immense. Anyone know why the roof was shut? I''m sure its not a common occurrence and I don''t remember it raining that day.

2. Estadio de Luz - Euro 2004 - Portugal v England, atmosphere again superb, apart from the final outcome the game was awesome and had a bit of everything.

3. Stade Bollaert-Delelis - (Lens) Euro 2016, England v Wales. The fear of meeting the Russians kept the beer flowing all day!!

Weirdly of the three, my team has lost on two occasions. Probably reflects the glass half empty reputation I have on here.

From what I recall, the roof was shut at the Millennium Stadium following a number of issues the previous day at the old Division 2 final. It was such hot weather people were fainting in the stands, so the decision was taken on safety grounds.

For me it''s still the best atmosphere I can remember, despite the final outcome. The few minutes after Iwan''s goal were incredible.

[quote user="Matt Juler"]From what I recall, the roof was shut at the Millennium Stadium following a number of issues the previous day at the old Division 2 final. It was such hot weather people were fainting in the stands, so the decision was taken on safety grounds.

For me it''s still the best atmosphere I can remember, despite the final outcome. The few minutes after Iwan''s goal were incredible.[/quote]

Ah, right. Well it certainly made for a unique and incredible atmosphere. the game the day before was Stoke v Brentford, where for the first time a team in the south changing room lost. We quickly became the second! Iwans goal will live long in the memory!

In the EDP''s countdown today, it says that Iwan believed for a few seconds that he''d scored a ''golden goal'' meaning we''d been promoted. Also, I didn''t remember that he was a sub that day. Who started instead of him - was it David Neilson?

Whilst serving in the Royal Navy back in the 1970''s where there was trouble at every game. I was serving on HMS Ajax and we visited Amsterdam (The Netherlands) And decided to go a watch Ajax FC.    Safety in numbers so there was about 30/40 of us. When we got in the ground, straight away the Ajax fans were looking for trouble, until we started chanting in our English accents ''Ajax we love you''  After that, they found out we were from the ship and enjoyed the extra support. After the match we visited a local pub and never had to buy a drink all night, the local fans really looked us . I know it was a long time ago but it remains in the memory.   

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/1982818.stm

A combination of "supporter comfort" which I''m lead to believe was people fainting the day before and for TV purposes.

About 12 years ago was on holiday in Santa Monica and Man Utd were playing at a local school in LA, there was a tiny bit in the press about it, V Club Mexico, so i asked the concierge what it would be like and he organised some tickets, Utd won 6-1 in front of 86,000, in a high school, incredible!

1936 Berlin Olympic Stadium. Enter the stadium and walk around every seat and you have completed the Marathon distance! Staff not pleased with me sat in Hitler''s seat.

For drama it has to be Newmarket Park Auckland. Watched City beat NZ 5-1 and the next morning the main stand collapsed! Bad losers?

Not the best ground but a bizarre/memorable experience - at Al-Dhafra Club in the UAE; they''re based in a little town way out in the middle of the desert and the stadium is fairly new and actually pretty nice but only seats about 5000 which they rarely fill. A friend and I were the only western faces there; about halfway through the first half, the mega-rich sheikh who owns the club spotted us and sent a guy down to invite us up to the executive seats which were basically big plush armchairs up at the top of the stand, we were sat 2 rows down from the owner, got served a big platter of fresh fruit and literally had a butler serving us tea in china cups while we watched the game. They were crap and I think it ended 0-0.