Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Is your glass half full or empty?

Well the board are certainly going for total overhaul which makes for an exciting summer and lots of unknowns.

Strikes me we are either witnessing:

A: Glass half full: a brilliant gathering together of hidden talent to mount a serious assault on the automatics/playoffs.

B: Glass half empty: a desperate attempt to pull together a championship team on the cheap- with L1 standard signings and untested youth.

My own take is that there is a big risk being taken because, having messed up investment/ recruitment over recent seasons, the money is gone and the board wont leave or invest. And it will either work splendidly or we will fail horribly. Don''t know why but I dont see much middle ground.

Thoughts?

we are finally refreshing our under performing, complacent, over paid aging squad, with coming budget constraints restricting to those we bringing in in unproven cheaper but hungrier more ambitious replacements. I doubt they arrive as better players - but they may be a better team.

I am excited that we appear to be on the front foot and getting on with the extensive rebuild, but concerned that we may end up with a less able squad who could take too long to gel to make a promotion push play off.

The problems we face are not of webber or farkes making; whether their aggressive pruning can revive the plant in one season or two remains to be seen; but so far so good making me cautiously optimistic.

I don''t think there can be anything but joy and delight at the moment.

Four signings and all before the season starts.

Better than panic signings like the fat kid who was picked last.

My glass is half full, but not sure what with.

It''s happening so for me as a fan I will get behind it.

End of the day though it''s only results that make the determination.

Neither one or the other. Watkins seems to be a good signing with Championship experience and a good record. Gunn is a promising keeper, but also involves a risk given that we''re losing Ruddy and Rudd. Vrancic looks to be a reasonable replacement for Dorrans, but like Zimmermann, it depends on whether he can make the transition to Championship football. For me, it also depends on who we lose, and Jerome would put me in the half empty side of things.

"A brilliant gathering together of hidden talent to mount a serious assault on the automatics/playoffs."
Blimey, if that only fills DCB''s glass half full he must be a right miserabilist [:D]

Three quaters full. A breath of fresh air is going through the Club and at last we are getting rid of most the deadwood that has dragged us down for the last 2 seasons. Something had to be done as we obviously couldn''t carry on as we have been.The new management team seems to be pretty switched on and know what they want.The new signings sound promising & full of potential and if Farke can mould everyone together into a tight & hungry squad then everything will be fine.Not bothered about any future outgoings (Howson, Dorrans, Jerome, Rudd) because they were part, albeit a small part, of the problem.Therefore keeping them is probably not the solution.Don''t think the Championship will be that strong next season and I can see us making a serious bid for automatic promotion.What''s not to like?

[quote user="Making Plans"]Three quaters full. A breath of fresh air is going through the Club and at last we are getting rid of most the deadwood that has dragged us down for the last 2 seasons. Something had to be done as we obviously couldn''t carry on as we have been.The new management team seems to be pretty switched on and know what they want.The new signings sound promising & full of potential and if Farke can mould everyone together into a tight & hungry squad then everything will be fine.Not bothered about any future outgoings (Howson, Dorrans, Jerome, Rudd) because they were part, albeit a small part, of the problem.Therefore keeping them is probably not the solution.Don''t think the Championship will be that strong next season and I can see us making a serious bid for automatic promotion.What''s not to like?[/quote]almost emptywhose round is it ?y

I''ve never been a glass half empty or a glass half full kind of guy. I''ve always thought that somebody else has been drinking from that glass.

Whilst I like what the club is trying to do and I agree time was up with most of the outgoing players, I do wonder about the quality of the new players. I have the feeling we will end up with a galvanised team of players that give everything but might be short of quality. I suppose it comes down to how good Farke is at getting the best out of the squad and adjusting to the Championship. More incomings and outgoings to come so difficult to judge at this stage. My gut feeling is that the coming year will be preparation for a serious promotion bid in 18/19. Now, whose round is it? Pint of the black stuff for Wolf, please.

@Wolf yep, spot on with everything you say there. I would say the quality comes from who stays because, let''s face it, we''re not short of attacking quality. It''s the defence we''ve had a problem with in recent years. I would say this season is a see what happens jobby.

I am optimistic but seasoned Norwich supporters are always right to be sceptical. A big strategic change and and a huge playing staff overhaul which was needed. It is a shame that this coincides with the money appearing to have/is running out which again is no surprise. I will i sense go one of two ways with nothing in the middle ie a spectacular success or likewise failure. I sense and hope we will be in for a good season although the first few games may not be the best indicator as it will take a bit of time for management and new players to settle in

Half full and wondering who''s round it is next.

I''m pleased with what''s happened so far: releasing the out of contract players very early; getting in some new players in key positions; clearly defining the new structure of the club in terms of roles of personnel.

Like Wolf though, I''m cautious about how the new players will perform. I hope we can retain our better players: Pritchard, Howson, Murphys, Jerome, Wes. I also think that if Naismith and Klose buy into the Farke philosophy, they could be important players for us.

The unknown is exciting,

Supporting City (Wembley aside) as been boring recently, we''ve had very few players I''m been excited to watch since Holt, Huckerby, Bellamy.

Our signings have always been safe and as fans we knew what we were getting,.

Although it didn''t turn out as we wanted I couldn''t wait to see RvW and I''m getting the same feeling about the new coach/players

I''m still angry that the overhaul didn''t happen at this point last year, keeping on AN when he''d clearly lost the plot was just daft, but we are where we are.

It''s totally untested but right now I''m definitely optimistic so glass half full, there''s no doubt.  That could change depending on further comings & goings over the summer.

Anyone thinking next season will be an overhaul followed by a serious promotion push the season after... well, our player wage budget next year is £33m which falls to c£14m the year after.  So if we don''t get promoted next season, there will definitely have to be another pretty major overhaul the season after.  

An entirely valid premise DCB.

Caveats would include:

If it were so easy to buy, cheaper, younger, hungrier and do better, why doesn''t everyone do it?

Experienced Premier League players are unlikely to have ''got found out'', management of players and tactics must be called into question.

Any significant change typically requires a period of readjustment. Initial honeymoon success is often quickly replaced by a drop, then a reversion to the mean of the genuine level of the players.

Cheap players on low wages from lower leagues are not all ''hidden gems''. This is romantic and occasionally true, though mostly not.

Positive signs include:

Dynamic fast start showing clear research, preparation and contacts.

Effective delineation of duties, allowing more intense recruitment procedures and a focus on improving and maximising New and existing playing resources. This allows cheaper raw materials with potential to be purchased with a greater belief in accelerating attainment levels.

Anything new excites.

Players and fans like to buy into a refreshing promise of riches over the horizon. This becomes harder to sustain over time or in the face of negative results.

Retaining an over-arching macro direction is key, though will come under question without success. Lack of money and resources will make committing to a path easier. There will be no other option.

Parma

More than half full. We have cleared out a bunch of old folks who were costing us a fortune and were past their best. We have appointed a coach who has a proven tactical philosophy and who is proven in his ability to develop players. Plus We are ahead of the game on our transfer activities.

Last season we mismanaged our resources, our team wasn''t fit enough, they were defensively disorganised and despite being one of the most technically able sides in the division the team failed to live up to their potential. Maybe there was some bitching behind the scenes too from players who wanted out.

Now that we have cleared the decks the new coach can forge a new identity for this group. One where we don''t drop silly points away at the likes of Rotherham or get owned by teams who have no more resources than us such as Brighton and where we won''t be out manoeuvred by the tactics of teams like Huddersfield. Hopefully this year we will have a well thought out and well managed response to the challenges that we will face and a team with the resolve to do what is required to win promotion.

Like ICF I am still livid that we didn''t do anything about AN earlier , a mess that should have been sorted out then and not at the end of the season.

It all shows we are still little old Naaarwwich and we do not have a board that has the guts to take action.

So I am cautiously optimistic, on the glass half full side , as we finally seem to have taken action and have nearly sorted out the playing staff and managerial side of our club.

Bring on the season, I am behind the new manager...but it''s early to tell if we have any chance of getting promoted

Half full, but if the team doesn''t start strongly I expect the "club''s in turmoil", "club''s a joke" mob to be swift to appear.

Apples

Mr Apples,

I''d expect your glass to be 1/2 full of cider, perfect for a day as hot as today!

Respecting your work, cooling down the nation!

[quote user="Mr Apples"]Half full, but if the team doesn''t start strongly I expect the "club''s in turmoil", "club''s a joke" mob to be swift to appear.

Apples[/quote]
Agree with you there Mr Apples  they''ll soon appear.  I personally  feel quite optimistic and have confidence in the Webber/Farke revolution, hope we have a good start though we could have done without Fulham away first game

ROBFLECK: "It all shows we are still little old Naaarwwich and we do not have a board that has the guts to take action."

How is sacking the manager, reorganising pretty much the whole structure of the club, appointing Webber and a promising, but very much unproven coach, letting 7 established squad members leave and putting many of the rest of the first team up for offers not taking action??? WTF do you want them to do (other than resign, which I suspect is the only thing that would make you happy)?

Club/stick etc.