Sign in to follow this  
Yorkshire  Canary

looking forward to an enjoyable season

This seasons championship looks very tough indeed with quite a few strong sides from last season and the relegated clubs. That said there seems to be an optimistic wind of change with Norwich this season many good playing staff retained but efforts to close the obvious weaknesses at the back and youth coming to the fore. I hope to be in the mix no more than that really and a season going forward rather than some of the negativity of the past two seasons

At least there has been some serious attempt at rebuilding and clearing out some of the wasteful drain on resources that was a legacy of the last few years.  The attempt to play at being a PL club for the last six years had put us in a difficult position.   You get the sense that there is still going to be changes in personel right up to the start of next season, so the revolution is still in process.  

I''m excited about the coming season but in truth just can''t predict how things are going to pan out. That''s what keeps us interested. Has Webber pulled off a master stroke in appointing Farke, or is it going to be too much of a step up? He''s either nipped in there and stolen a march on our rivals, or tried to repeat his previous formula and overestimated. Time will tell. I think most folks are excited by the prospect of change and it was the right time to try something different. Again, are the new players going to be good enough, and can Farke develop the players we already have. I guess we will start to get the picture after about ten games or so. I''d like to think we will be in the playoff mix but so hard to call. Can''t wait to see how we shape up in the first few games in terms of formation, style, and organisation. But most of all, hoping we are winning more consistently. Still more defensive players required.

Very much looking forward to seeing what Farke does with our attacking talent and the formation he adopts. I''m a saddo like that.

I think there is a new energy about. There will be new ideas about styles and systems that will take time to develop and therefore I don''t expect us to click immediately. It will be a fascinating season with setbacks but then I hope, like Yorkshire, we will be about and around the top 6 mix. Perhaps the worst start will be two immediate wins in some respects (I recall going to Blackburn last year and thought we would go on and dominate the league) but if this happens you get the idea that Farke will make sure there is no complacency.

It looks like quite a few more changes will take place and surely the team will take time to adjust. Just hope people give the new set up some time and patience.

You''d imagine some realistic targets for the new set-up this season are :

- Top Six finish

- Tighten up defensively

- Improve set-piece effectiveness, at both ends of the pitch

- Increase level of pressure on opposition when not in possession

- Attempt to make club''s finances more "prudent" while still remaining competitive on the pitch

None of these targets are easily achievable. Lots of variables with so much change taking place. Who knows what the squad will look like by the end of August? Time & patience will be required and I suspect Webber & Farke have a two-year plan for promotion in mind, gambling on building a team around youth & potential. It might work, it might not, that''s sport!

Imagine the excitement & satisfaction if a young team with the likes of Pritchard, Maddison, at least one Murphy(!), Thompson, Watkins, Oliviera, Pinto, Angus Gunn along with some new defensive acquisitions (perhaps the likes of Godfrey, Efete, Toffolo, Ebou Adams, Middleton might step up?) gathered momentum together and pushed for promotion. Learn from Wes, Naismith, Jerome, Tettey & Martin on their way up. Perhaps we''ll see the best of Klose. Maybe Vrancic & Zimmermann will step up. Maybe Jarvis will get an injury-free spell. Or Wildschut will settle in and nail down a place.

No matter what happens, we all keep coming back for more, like the great unwashed that we are!

Cautiously optimistic and very happy with Vrancic.

However, to build a strong team we really need:

An experienced Championship CB. A no-nonsene, donkey-Adams type player who can handle the rough number 9s that gave Klose the run around last year.

A strong DM who can put his foot in. We need to protect the back 4 and our midfield is notoriously sh*te at tracking back or picking up runners.

Experienced battering ram CF: Would be happy with Oliveira and Jerome as choices but this is the kind of league that you need a big unit up top on occasion. Can be an oldy we only use off the bench but the option will come in handy.

[quote user="paddycanary"]

No matter what happens, we all keep coming back for more, like the great unwashed that we are![/quote]This and the title of the thread sums it up neatly. Every season starts in hope and often ends in tears but we still can''t give it up. Here''s hoping it all works out...

[quote user="ABC A Basingstoke Canary"]paddycanary - well written piece - realistic whilst still being optimistic - good combination mix of the new and the old.

I think you have set a new benchmark for for the voice of reason!
[/quote]Don''t say it too loudly.......you''ll get him banned [:D]

Always getting twinges of excited anticipation at this point in the year.

It''s the not knowing that gets you, particularly this time round.

I do hope that Farquhar is given sufficient time by our wonderful fans to work his magic.

This is a season with less expectations than our two previous seasons in the championship.

With the changes, the great form of our younger players like the Murphy twins, Maddison, Pritchard, the addition of three good players in key areas to strengthen our squad and the first loan signing of a very promising young keeper it''s definitely more to be excited about!

I''m not keen to see Jarvis or Naismith stay, I''d much rather get shot of them than have to sell one of our gems to fund having to keep the old failures.

It''s going to be a tough season and not knowing what our squad will look like come August is intriguing, I''m sure we will mirror that of Huddersfield lest term, some solid young foreign players mixed with our own youngsters and a few good loans to sure up the squad.

Should be fun with less expectations on the team from the supporters.

I look forward to listening to canary call post Fulham......😉

I think it''s going to be a fairly transitional season, and we''ll be lucky to get in the playoffs. I think the focus is on avoiding the financial cliff once the parachute payments stop. Ideally you want the spine of the team in place early, so that you can get the fitness levels and the tactics bedded in during pre-season, and ultimately we''re dependent on moving players on before we can get their replacements in. For example with the centre backs, we''ve got Martin and Zimmerman, Bielik is expected to be announced on loan shortly, and for the club to get an experienced fourth centre back in, we''d have to move Klose on first.