Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

Benny Ashley-Seal to Leicester

As reported in the Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-4630826/Leicester-set-land-Norwich-striker-Benny-Ashley-Seal.html

(Sorry, can''t seem to do the links with Chrome)

Is there any verity in this? Was he on the cusp? Has someone from the "new order" screwed up?

Would like someone ITK to verify (or not) if possible

He was at Arsenal and Spurs before the "old order" signed him up. Last I heard we were trying to get him to sign a contract. Who knows! Maybe all the changes at the club....

Could just be agent talk trying to get him a better contract, but ultimately if he doesn''t want to wear our shirt, would have thought it was fair easier to break into our team than Leicester''s,

[quote user="Icecream Snow"]Could just be agent talk trying to get him a better contract, but ultimately if he doesn''t want to wear our shirt, would have thought it was fair easier to break into our team than Leicester''s,[/quote]

So Demarai Gray is about to leave them because of his lack of opportunity and our untried 18 year old striker thinks he''s going to get in their team. Yeah of course he is.

Maybe it''s just me but this has greedy agent smell all over it.

I suppose that it''s possible that, like many English footballers from the Millennial generation, he would be quite happy to trade an opportunity of 1st team football if it means he can earn 3 or 4 time what his wages currently are. It seems to be the fashion nowadays.

Maybe the agent is doing a good job.

Maybe the realpolitik options are:

Not play for Norwich for £1k p/w

Not play for Leicester for £3k p/w

Drop into Conference and out of professional football for guaranteed 1st Team place

Parma

Norwich would get compensation based on a tribunal fee, as long as the have offered the player a new contract with at least equal terms as his current one. Tribual fees are set for any player under the age of 24 moving in a Bosman style transfer.

Tribunal fee is determined taking into account the amount of time the player has been in the academy and the amount Norwich have spend developing him. Other considerations include the relative status of the clubs involved, the age of the player and the terms of the player''s contract at the club he is moving to. I believe Solanke''s transfer from Chelsea to Liverpool has been set with a tribunal fee of £10m - a record amount.

As BAS has been through two other clubs'' academies, as mentioned by NN, then the fee would be dramatically less than it would have been had he been with Norwich since 7. I think the other clubs would also be entitled to a small percentage of the fee also.

Move for more money or try and make the breakthrough at Norwich - and get pelters from your own fans when things aren''t going right.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Maybe the agent is doing a good job.

Drop into Conference and out of professional football for guaranteed 1st Team place

Parma[/quote]Surely you''re not suggesting that the Mail''s description of him as "one of the best emerging young forward talents in the country", looking "certain to break into Norwich’s first-team plans next season", "inevitable, however, that Ashley-Seal would make his professional debut for the Canaries during the forthcoming season" and "one of their academy’s leading talents" is slightly over-hyped?

Wouldn''t blame him for going. If he has a real chance of being given game time for the senior team then he might be better off here but if like Parma said, if Leicester are gonna offer more money to a guy that has probs never earnt big bucks in his life and has no guarantees he will then he''d be daft to stay here.

It depends - if you''re in it to try to progress your career/love of the game you stick with Norwich (a la Murphy x2) at least for a while, if you''re just after money you leave (agents probably ''help'' these decisions, with absolutely no thought to themselves). It does seem many players get their heads turned by the latter. The point is, a pro player at NCFC is hardly going to be poor and has a much better chance of breaking through, but c''est la vie. I''m not sure he''s that great.

Branston i agree but i think so many players fail to make it that i think this lad is doing the right thing

one he will get a signing on fee which may put a deposit down on a house for him and maybe treble his wages ???

now we all know sometimes a players career is very short so if he makes it then this is all forgotten but if he fails at least he earn''t as much money as he could as fast as possible

also he may well feel wanted by getting signed by a club that won the title he is now at a premier league club

As for Murphy''s yes everything is Rosie at the moment but you wait till their Agent starts saying i can get you 40 / 50 k a week plus a big signing on fee of say 10 % lets just say 1.5 million if you move then we will see how loyal they are

Todd Cantwell nominated for PL2 POTS, which is an u23 competition, but Ashley-Seal (who struggles at the same level) is the one attracting Premier League interest.

The mind boggles.

Cantwell is Very good but a little light weight

always been a stand out player in every youth side but always been smaller than most his age group

Most clubs want big powerful players for the modern game i know someone at colney who was in the youth sides with todd who is a very good player for his age but his father who was watching is huge 6 .2 ft built like a shed and fit as a flea first think the city scout said to the lad was is that your dad over there boy said yes he said you will be some player if you grow his size with your skill city signed him a week later

[quote user="Move Klose"]Well wes & Pritchard ain''t no giants.[/quote]I think modern formations help a lot though. Running a 4-2-3-1 means you can easily play a lightweight number 10. It''d be difficult to fit either of those guys into an old school 4-4-2. In general a scout''s going to pick a big lad over a small lad if they''ve got similar technique.

[quote user="Parma Hams gone mouldy"]Maybe the agent is doing a good job.

Parma[/quote]Parma, are you of the opinion that it is correct, that rather than being a Grant Holt or Jamie Vardy, that what most Millennials (or their agents) think that it is preferable to be a Scott Sinclair or Demarai Gray? Is instant gratification is the way forward in football, rather than prove yourself to be a decent footballer like Jake and Josh Murphy seem to want to do?

IBT,

I think it entirely depends on the real skillset and potential of the player.

It would be an excellent agent who got a young player a move to Leicester reserves on £3k per week if that player''s true level as a 1st team starter was Conference level or lower at £300 per week.

Professional football is exactly that. And everything else isn''t.

''Players only love you when they''re playing'' may be true for some, though maxing your career earnings and taking lucrative paydays when presented is not exclusive to feckless footballers or the young per se.

Is there a tendency to chase the money now and more readily accept non-starting positions? Perhaps. Though it is a squad game now and even being in the 1st 25 of a Premier League Team is already quite an achievement. Ferguson was extremely adept at getting his number 18 around 25 games a season, Lambert also used this method.

The old days of a 1st xi has gone and opportunities, rewards and playing time are commensurately more attractive - and more ''normal'' - further down the playing food chain.

Players also get a far better education and schooling in the game now, they are coached from younger and for longer. There is an investment in players in this way, though paradoxically home-grown players may be over-looked and under-paid more ''comfortably''.

Assistant Bank Managers were never promoted to Manager in their starting branch. They could rise through the ranks to number 2, it were then moved to be a Manager in a new branch. In this way no one could say ''I knew you when....'' undermining authority.

The principle holds for footballers. You may have to move to get recognition in your playing conditions and your financial package.

Parma

Exactly, it''s not like he''s on 100k a week here and moving for 300k a week at leicester. he has likely never had loads of money offered to him so unless he is literally being looked at to start for city this season (in which case he''d be wanting more money from us) then he''d be mad not to chase the bigger payday. I''d imagine at either club he will be heading out on loan to league 1 or 2 anyway pretty soon.

Didn''t someone post a link on here recently to an article about how non league players are asking for silly money if a league 1 team is interested in them ? Goes to show how attitudes have changed in some players.