Sign in to follow this  
dibbler

Jacob to Palace for only £7m

This has to be a joke, treble it.

Reported in the Mirror.

The club can''t sell players like this for so little when if back into the Prem they are irreplaceable for what we sold them for.

Webber!!!!!

Probably best to wait for a credible source, all clubs have scouts at that tournament, I expect they''re looking at a number of players.

It would be tragic to see our best young players sold before they can really get going with us- especially for so little.

Keep for a season or sell for a minimum of 25 million. Because if relegated goal keepers are going for 30m

A bit alarmist Mr. D.

You put the wind very much up me there so I traced the Mirror article.

It simply said that Palace were amongst a number of PL clubs "tracking" Jacob and that he is "rated" at £7m which means nothing as it is probably Mirror-style guesswork.

We can have assumed that he will have excited Premier League interest and the more interest the higher the fee ..... not that there is any indication whatsoever that we are prepared to sell the player just yet.

From the Mirror:-

"The £7million-rated Norwich winger is being tracked by Crystal Palace, Swansea, Southampton and West Brom, all of whom have sent scouts to watch him in action for England Under-21s in Poland."

City sporting director Stuart Webber made it clear at the start of the summer every player has a price, ahead of the opening of the transfer window, but Murphy is seen as one of the cornerstones of the new Daniel Farke era and it would take a CONSIDERABLY HIGHER OFFER to tempt the Canaries to sanction his departure.

“If in the event someone did come for our highly-talented ones it is going to cost a hell of a lot of money,” he said. “At that point we have to be realistic. If a top 10 Premier League club come for one of our players AND OFFERS US £20m no-one is stupid enough to say we can turn that down.”

TBH if you look at it from a PL club''s perspective, how much would you be willing to shell out on a player with only one-season in the Chamos under his belt? It''s rather a tricky one to determine his value, I''m sure most of us would go far too high.

£20m?

Yes please.

There is a lot of truth in talk on here about the club wasting much of the Premier League bonanza in over-priced or bad buys and by offering too much in wages on occasions.

However, it is worth noting that it was Premier league money which has helped finance our academy status, run it and bring through such youngsters as the Murphys (and possibly Matthews and Efete (?) and even Toffolo.)

We have also been able to finance the accumulation of a clutch of younger players Pritchard, Madison, Thompson, Godfrey and Watkins in recent times and each and every one of them will have enhanced their value in the market place.

There has been bad financial management in recent years, but there has been a lot of good at the same time.

Ok, it''s only the Mirror but he will be gone before the start of the season but I hope he stays.

Easy there, dibbler. Palace don''t currently have a manager and are unlikely to buy anyone before they appoint Allardyce''s successor. That story also states there are four teams watching him.

In truth, the article comes across as info from an agent who''s trying to increase interest in his client. Webber said every player has a price when he arrived, but I''d hazard a guess Jacob''s is higher than £7m.

With all the stupid fees being spent, we should really hold out for over £15m. He is perhaps our biggest prospect for years and has a long term contract with us.

If we get £15m, we can invest in the weaker departments of our team. We would also have to wait and see if Josh can make the step-up required.

If that 7 became 12-15 then I can''t see us turning it down. We''ve just signed Watkins, a player with a similar sort of record and the cash would obviously make the rebuild much easier.

If he does go it''ll be undisclosed as usual, but why would people be happy to balance the books by selling the family silver today yet in 95 they went ballistic about selling Sutton to balance the books?

Just a question to change in supporters attitudes towards clubs finances or just more casual towards the owner?

Given what the new boss and Webbers vision to build on young players this would go against the clubs new philosophy wouldn''t it?

I''m not sure Palace or anyone would pay more than 7 million and for me that''s just not worth cashing in, not this season, better off keeping Murphy bros this season as they will both be vital to any promotion push this season, imo.

[quote user="Indy"]If he does go it''ll be undisclosed as usual, but why would people be happy to balance the books by selling the family silver today yet in 95 they went ballistic about selling Sutton to balance the books?

Just a question to change in supporters attitudes towards clubs finances or just more casual towards the owner?

Given what the new boss and Webbers vision to build on young players this would go against the clubs new philosophy wouldn''t it?

I''m not sure Palace or anyone would pay more than 7 million and for me that''s just not worth cashing in, not this season, better off keeping Murphy bros this season as they will both be vital to any promotion push this season, imo.[/quote]

If the sale of a Murphy for circa 12-15m funded the purchase of two or three players that could really improve our starting 11, then yes, I would certainly cash in.

If the circa 12-15m was not going to be directly spent on the starting 11, then I agree, no point selling (unless our finances are much worse than we all think!)

People dismissing The Mirror as if it''s ridiculous there''s clubs looking at Jacob haha, wake up people, if anything it''ll be a fair few more than the 4 named lower level Prem clubs that all have more chance of relegation next season than Europe. The good thing is we won''t be selling for £7mil, that you can be sure of, infact I''d be very very surprised if he gets sold this summer regardless - after all, he''ll be coming up to the Premier League with us next May ; )

[quote user="nutty nigel"]So what rebuilt of the squad came about through the Sutton money?[/quote]

How do you know that any money would be respent and not to cover the shortfall in wages for the high earners we can''t shift?

After all Jarvis & Wilds are still here and can cover wings.

Just asking the question to how acceptable selling young players has become in football.

How much would Sutton be worth if we were to sell him as we did in today''s market?

[quote user="pliff"]Wildschut is quicker and stronger than Murphy IMO[/quote]Indeed he is but what is called into question is his football brain, ability and commitment.

How would I know what people would be happy with?

I don''t Bindy. It''s you who professes to know what people would be happy with. Some have stated on this thread though. What does Ken Ozzane think?