Sign in to follow this  
mr footy

Top two?

With the new season approaching a top two finish will again be a target for norwich.I would love this to happen but sadly this is wishful thinking.A place in the top ten would again be a realistic aim with a chance of top six.As teams showed last season we were not fit enough or strong enough for a good part of the season. The new manager is going to play a more pressing game which can be very effective if you have the right sort of players. The squad from last season could not have played this way so a clear out is right.Only 5or6 players should remain.The new management have recruited well so far but many more need to go.

It''s pretty obvious that we''re trying to move people on. Some we will, some we won''t. McGovernJarvisAndreuDorransWildschut?Klose?Naismith?Imagine the squad wil be vastly different in 2 months time.

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]It''s pretty obvious that we''re trying to move people on. Some we will, some we won''t. McGovernJarvisAndreuDorransWildschut?Klose?Naismith?Imagine the squad wil be vastly different in 2 months time.[/quote]

I''d be happy to see them all go! Klose has been so frustrating as you can see quality in his game, but for whatever reason hasn''t really fulfilled his value.

Confidence was low in the squad and Alex Neil wasn''t one for defending. I''d back him to turn it around here next season.Of course if another club comes in and we didn''t sell it''s potentially an expensive risk.

Why not wait and see what''s ''realistic'' when we''ve seen who is leaving/coming in, and how well we start. We will still presumably have a core of decent players who have played in the PL and are more than capable if given the right guidance.

[quote user="Indy"]Klose has been so frustrating as you can see quality in his game, but for whatever reason hasn''t really fulfilled his value.[/quote]Yet......

On paper I think our squad will appear weaker than last years at the start of the season. To challenge for the top six will depend on Daniel creating a coherent unit and style of play from the players he has.

Last season we had good players but often couldn''t get a good team on the pitch for a match day. I think we are going to have to patient and supportive early in the season, and hope the players buy into what Daniel is trying to do.

Just sorted out my travel plans for Fulham so would love a flying start though!

By the time the season kicks off we will have a squad more in line with league one than challenging at the top end of the Championship , no decent signings made and anybody with any ability being touted as for sale . Nothing will change untill the Smiths do one ,

[quote user="xxxx"]By the time the season kicks off we will have a squad more in line with league one than challenging at the top end of the Championship , no decent signings made and anybody with any ability being touted as for sale. . Nothing will change untill the Smiths do one ,[/quote]Who have we touted around then ?

[quote user="mr footy"]With the new season approaching a top two finish will again be a target for norwich.I would love this to happen but sadly this is wishful thinking.A place in the top ten would again be a realistic aim with a chance of top six.As teams showed last season we were not fit enough or strong enough for a good part of the season. The new manager is going to play a more pressing game which can be very effective if you have the right sort of players. The squad from last season could not have played this way so a clear out is right.Only 5or6 players should remain.The new management have recruited well so far but many more need to go.[/quote]once he has ironed out a few ishoooos with the squad, it will be flat out and full steam ahead with the backing of the boardhow I long for the days when we were happy to be running along the channel with a box to box player (not to be confused with the ''fox in the box'' )when the formation was diamond and the play was in triangles and players didn''t put on a shift, or play on topbut at least we had an engine and a midfield generalstill, if we don''t finish in the top two or even the top six we can look forward to more vacuous cliches that let the ''happy clappies'' imagine they have some insight into what is a very simple and uncomplicated game

Top 6 will once again be a realistic target and it will be disappointing if we do not get top 6. Top 2 is another matter but if a team can build up a head if steam who knows

[quote user="KeiranShikari"]It''s pretty obvious that we''re trying to move people on. Some we will, some we won''t. McGovernJarvisAndreuDorransWildschut?Klose?Naismith?Imagine the squad wil be vastly different in 2 months time.[/quote]

Would rather see Klose than Martin, Wildschut than Jacob, Naismith links up really well with Pritchard so keep him.

Only 5 or 6 should remain? I must hace missed your tenure as a person who isn''t mental.

Well it is a huge season for the club because we either have a good season seeing results from Webber and Farke making progress going the right way maybe not going up but pushing the right way and showing the plan is working

or if they Fail where ever do we go from there ?? no parachute payments and a new management system that is not working with all their signings

It really must work this season or we are in big trouble

I think that we will hit the ground running and remain in the leading positions for the entire season.

We have the basis provided by our established players Klose, Pinto, Jerome, Naismith, Howson, Oliveira, Tettey, Jarvis and Dorrans; many of whom are either not particularly wanted for various reasons or may be gone in any case.

The fact remains that they are all still on the books and most of them will probably still be come the season''s start.

We have in the squad the most exciting batch of young players I can ever recall who all seem to be coming through and ready at ''about'' the same time. Many of them are sure to "click" sooner rather than later.

The Murphy''s, Pritchard, Watkins (we expect,) Maddison, Thompson and Godfrey being amongst the front runners, but let''s not discard Efete, Toffolo or Morris in this respect.

We have our new and innovative approach whereby we are tapping in to the tried and tested German model, and we are doing this big time it seems.

Webber has begun to show his worth with purposeful intent in all his dealings. Everything about the new coach inspires confidence in me. The extra additions seem veritable and I like all our player signings so far.

We have sufficient funds, or the means of accumulating sufficient funds, to finance the strengthening of areas where our squad is weakest.

Of course it could fail. Risk is risk and although this is sensible risk my eyes are not completely yellow-tinted.

I do, however, anticipate a very good season ahead.

Hic! (That kipper I had for breakfast seems to be repeating on me.)

Anyone heard who''s missing from the first day back at training today to fuel transfer rumours? Apart from Jacob and Gunn of course...

Top two? not going to happen.... Top six? realistic but i have my doubts... Defense still hasn''t been worked on sufficiently, so we''ll have to see. New manager who has to be given time... I''m hoping for a play-off berth

I would say that Top Two is possible but unlikely. I think we should be looking at the play offs as a good solid target. We saw last season that even with our shocking defence and inexperienced manager we were more than a match for most teams at our place. Away from home and when we went behind we struggled, collectively. That suggests to me that the problem last year was as much about mental strength and fitness as ability, though that was also lacking in the central defence.

I am not sure any of the teams who we may be up there with should really hold that much fear and I would be very surprised to see anyone run away with it. The relegated teams seem pretty weak, maybe M''Boro with Monk could be a tough proposition, and maybe Fulham the way they finished. Other than that looks pretty even to me.

I Think the unknown of Farke is the exciting bit have we found a New Klopp that nobody else has spotted ???

Or have we been sold a a dud ?

its looking good so far and we really might see a great team built if we can get rid of the Deadwood and get some money flowing for more of Webber''s signings

I''m quietly optimistic. But very hard to say, especially with increasing vultures circling some of out best players. The across the board changes we''re seeing at Carrow Rd are very pleasing though, absolutely no question, as we''d got a bit stagnant I felt to say the least and now it feels anything but that. Perhaps witnessing the biggest revolution at Carrow Rd that I can remember in my many years of being a City fanatic. Because of that, it''s hard not to get excited, just I feel we may need to give DF etc a little bit of leverage in his first few games - it''s going to be a completely new system to most involved and that will likely take time to fully implement. Bring on the pre season friendlies 👍

[quote user="ROBFLECK"]Top two? not going to happen.... Top six? realistic but i have my doubts... Defense still hasn''t been worked on sufficiently, so we''ll have to see. New manager who has to be given time... I''m hoping for a play-off berth[/quote]

How long has the transfer window been open? Oh, it''s not open yet? Well, you wouldn''t think so with some posting doom and gloom. As usual.

That''s it exactly and it looks promising.  We clearly have some players who have stagnated, who aren''t really Prem quality but are on wages that are too high for the Championship (never mind Naismith etc) so a bit of a clear out is necessary, it''s just trying to do that without simply reducing the quality of the squad.  As you say, it is likely to take some time for it all to bed in.

I can''t help feeling every time I think about this, it''s such a shame this wasn''t done last summer when we had two seasons of parachute payments ahead to play with.  Next season we have a wages budget of around £33m but the season after it drops like a stone to about £14m, so if we don''t go up next season, another round of restructuring/cost cutting is inevitable next summer.

To me, that drop in revenue means its really important that we keep our crown jewels in Pritchard and the Murphys so their value will increase. Hopefully, we get promoted, so it becomes less relevant, but if we don''t, we can then sell at a large enough fee to offset the loss of the parachute payments.