Sign in to follow this  
Branston Pickle

Ridiculous 'polls' on this site

Just what is it with Archant and polls? They seem to have got themselves some new software so are intent on pinging out ''polls'' all the time; they don''t seem to realise how these things are always ruined by people farting about - we have done it to the binners so they will do to ours. The current ''poll'' of ''should we have a betting company as our sponsor'' is just odd, imo - why shouldn''t we, any more than a beer or insurance company - all perfectly legitimate businesses.

If you are going to seek opinions, the question should also be ''fair'' and not lead the answer, but that''s a totally different point.

Cheap journalismas is the ongoing 100 appearance Canariesthe five things we learnedunfortunately that is the way it is, with lower income for the this type of media then expect thetre to be more of thisbest ignore it and concentrate on the well researched and reasoned arguments on the forum

The 5 things we have learned, always makes me laugh. If they learnt 5 things every game for a month. we would win every other game that season.

Hello Norwich ''Journalists''. It''s another thread pointing out how pretty fuckingshit you are. Please get good. We know you read this forum because a large majority of your content is pulled from here.Filler is worse than nothing.Peace.

[quote user="lappinitup"]"The five things we learned" comes straight from the James Kent bible. [:$][/quote]I did learn that our opponents of the first day do not get their nickname from the activities of local gay men, and that Johnny Haynes did earn a few bob on the side writing car manualsJimmy Hill played for both clubsand Al Fayed''s real name is Alan Fayed and is supposedly the illegitimate son of a artilleryman in the Desert Rats (hence Fayed''s attempt to buy Arsenal)those buying a ticket can actually watch the boat race go past...... or they can sit on the opposite bank and watch it for free

Don''t have anything to write about have they? Half of their colleagues have gone on holiday...etc...

Like mentioned above, cheap journalism and not worth reading.

What ''relevant'' poll would you have? I doubt Archant have paid for "software" its clearly a readily available free app that anyone can use. These forum sums up whats wrong with NCFC fans - they all want ''the world''! NEWS FLASH This is Norwich - most Top Journalists will be in London or Manchester - the same for football players and the money men!

The Pinkun is far from the worst offenders for this when it comes to local press websites - and at least they don''t bombard you with pop-ups and mass advertising everywhere.

They rely on advertising revenue, which comes from the amount of visits a page has, polls etc are a proven way to generate site visits so they will continue.

Ask yourself what is the alternative? A pay barrier or the site going out of existence - that is the options left to online media these days.

It is pretty easy to avoid if you don''t like it to be honest, no one is forcing you to participate in the polls, or read the summer filler articles. If you don''t like the content, don''t read it.

As a media man I would also ask that people turn off ad blockers, advertisers can detect how many people use these when visiting a site and it means they don''t have to pay revenue for those users. I''m sure no one here wants the Pink Un going under and I''m sure no one wants to have a pay-wall to read the content or use the message board. Allowing advertising isn''t really the end of the world and easily ignored, and it does give some much needed cash to local press.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]As a media man I would also ask that people turn off ad blockers, advertisers can detect how many people use these when visiting a site and it means they don''t have to pay revenue for those users. I''m sure no one here wants the Pink Un going under and I''m sure no one wants to have a pay-wall to read the content or use the message board. Allowing advertising isn''t really the end of the world and easily ignored, and it does give some much needed cash to local press.[/quote]Sorry BYG but this is a real area of contention for me.I totally agree that it''s usually better for a site to have adverts than not exist at all, but it got the point where so many sites you visited were FULL of intrusive pop-up''s and incessant ads interrupting your browsing that it got beyond a joke.I don''t mind a small ad in the corner somewhere, but when you get ones taking over the screen or insisting on playing loud sound on autoplay etc, it gets annoying VERY quickly.I personally intend to continue using my ad-blocker, but have started to ''whitelist'' sites that I''m happy to disable it on, and I''d argue this is a much better approach than either a blanket method of blocking all, or blocking none.

I find it annoying that they attach the same videos over and over again to new articles, but I assume that this generates more clicks onto the article and therefore more advertising revenue, is that correct BYG? If so, then fair enough, but it is frustrating.

There''s absolutely nothing wrong in them trying to make things pay, I''d certainly much rather have this site than not. I just think things can be mis/over-used. Having polls of who we should keep/sell are a bit silly, but i found this one on whether we ''should'' have a certain sponsor to be particularly so when it''s not a ''should'' question (or a yes/no answer). I''m sure we''d prefer not to need sponsors at all, and would prefer them to be all nice and fluffy companies if we do have to have them - but this is the real world.

Good point Branston, people have to get over it ! Would you stop supporting your club because it was sponsored by Imperial Tobacco ?

I wasn''t happy with it either...but got over it quite quickly...

The polls are pointless, but it''s just that time of the season, not a lot is happening anyway...

Indy Bones:

I totally agree that sites where the adverts stop the easy enjoyment of material has crossed a line. I do feel that the Pink Un isn''t quite there yet though but it does step close. I feel there should be some way of turning off adverts for a small payment though (not that many people would take this option of course).

Splendid Rush:

Things like videos, polls, photo galleries etc are a proven way to generate more page views and more interactions. These are the metrics that advertisement revenues are based on. The polls are often meaningless of course, but they are there to generate clicks, but also a bit of discussion, that will keep people returning to a site. This is the whole reason for the birth of the comments section ''below the line''. Without such things people may visit a site once and leave, with comments/polls etc people may make multiple visits.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]Indy Bones:

I totally agree that sites where the adverts stop the easy enjoyment of material has crossed a line. I do feel that the Pink Un isn''t quite there yet though but it does step close. I feel there should be some way of turning off adverts for a small payment though (not that many people would take this option of course).

Splendid Rush:

Things like videos, polls, photo galleries etc are a proven way to generate more page views and more interactions. These are the metrics that advertisement revenues are based on. The polls are often meaningless of course, but they are there to generate clicks, but also a bit of discussion, that will keep people returning to a site. This is the whole reason for the birth of the comments section ''below the line''. Without such things people may visit a site once and leave, with comments/polls etc people may make multiple visits.[/quote]Many already use an adblocking site