Sign in to follow this  
AcrossThePond

Jacob over Josh?

No intention of starting a huge argument, just genuinely curious why most posters rate Josh so much higher than Jacob?

Keep thinking I''m missing something, but didn''t Jacob dominate this year and Josh find it hard to get in the team?

No denying both have huge futures though, heres to hoping Farke gets the best out of both!

Neil favoured Jacob (Was better at defending when not attacking)

Irvine favoured Josh (Had a great end to the season)

I like both Murphys - I hope the new manager unleashes both of them in the same starting 11 every once in a while.

My feeling is Josh is a bit more rounded and skillful. Jacob is good at running with the ball, has a good shot and can cross but Josh has a touch more finesse.

They are both great though.

Josh is the better winger in my opinion but Jacob learnt the defensive side of the game quicker. Both are great talents and If we got a 12m+ or so bid for one of them, i''d let one go and keep the other.

I would start the season with both the pace they have should frighten any Defence and they both will work well getting up to support Oliveria up front

both can score goals both have that little bit of unknown trickery if they keep their form they keep their place for me

only thing they need to work on for me is they can not go missing in games they have to perform

[quote user="norfolkngood"]I would start the season with both the pace they have should frighten any Defence and they both will work well getting up to support Oliveria up front

both can score goals both have that little bit of unknown trickery if they keep their form they keep their place for me

only thing they need to work on for me is they can not go missing in games they have to perform[/quote]
The often over-looked factor here, is the twin effect. In the academy side they were almost telepathic. Josh would play a 40 yard cross-field pass without even looking and hit Jacob in stride as he bombed down the other wing. They know exactly where the other one will be without even thinking. I''d definitely like to see more of them on the field together.

Yep, I wanna see at least one season with them both in full flow, both starting! Pretty sure we would need 2 very defensive centre miss to compensate tho if we had them 2 and say pritch or Wes in the middle.

Doesn''t say much for Josh''s defensive game if Jacob''s is meant to be better.

Jacob did a cracking job at right-back in the Under 21s.

In the FA Youth Cup winning side they worked brilliantly in a 4-3-3 with Carlton Morris bullying as the centre forward creating space for the Murphy''s to exploit.

That side had Cameron McGeehan in the centre of midfield and he wasn''t exactly all that defensive. Can''t remember who the other two were, I guess it''d make sense if they were both more sitting type midfielders.

I''d love to see it replicated at senior level but it''s difficult to envisage it. Watkins could fill in for either Murphy but there is no place for Hoolahan or Pritchard. It''d be a brave manager who would play one of those two in a midfield 3 in a 4-3-3 like that.