Sign in to follow this  
Tired

James Maddison new contract

https://www.canaries.co.uk/News/2017/june/james-maddison-new-deal/
Norwich City midfielder James Maddison has signed a new contract with the Club, extending his stay until 2021.
Great news.

It suggests he thinks we are going in the right directionI wonder if the club will see him as part of the first team squad/ starting 16or will he go out on another loan to guarantee him playing ?

Sounds like he''s impressing during training - and putting the hard work in as well.There was talk he''d be going out on loan, which still might happen, but wondering if they see him in the first team squad now?

Either way he needs to be playing - so maybe the third tier with a 24 hour recall

[quote user="norfolkngood"]i think we will play him this season as AM with Pritchard taking howsons role in team ;-)[/quote]Thought the issue with Pritchard was that he was a bit lightweight and kept getting knocked off the ball?

Why would Pritchard take Howson''s role in a 2 3 1 formation? Never likely to happen. Completely different players.

Pritchard is always going to play either in the 3 as a playmaker or a fake number 10.

As it stands, Pritchard is more likely to take Naismiths role with him moved on role regarding Maddison signing a new contract.

Pritchard also fights more on the ball and to get it back than Hoolehan does. So the thinking he''s too lightweight isn''t true.

[quote user="Morgan"]Pritchard also fights more on the ball and to get it back than Hoolehan does. So the thinking he''s too lightweight isn''t true.[/quote]
Yeah, that''s how I see it. I love Wessi, and no doubt his defensive game has improved immensely over the last 5 or 6 years, but Pritchard just seems to be a bit stronger, and get stuck in a bit more.

Thrilled by this, it must mean that Farke too has watched his exploits at Aberdeen last season , etc... and he''s seen that this lad has a big part to play at NCFC!

[quote user="Icecream Snow"][quote user="norfolkngood"]i think we will play him this season as AM with Pritchard taking howsons role in team ;-)[/quote]Thought the issue with Pritchard was that he was a bit lightweight and kept getting knocked off the ball?[/quote]

I think we need to move away from that line of thinking and possibly with our new coaching team we will. I have long thought that (if partnered by the right partner) Pritchard or indeed Wes can play a more orthodox central midfield role because they are good on the ball and always able to receive the ball in tight areas and pick a pass. Shifting one of them to this role would certainly give the side more fluidity plus ease the congestion in the AM role. I''m pretty sure Pritchard played there for Brentford and if you look on the continent (especially Spain) midfielders are not automatically pidgeon holed as AM just because they are slightly built. Probably the best examples being Xavi and Iniesta.

Wes tends to make more tackles than most of our other midfielders when he plays. This notion he doesn''t do defensive work is simply not true.

Webber would have been the one to decide if Maddison gets a longer contract or not. So doubt Farke did watch any videos of him at Aberdeen and considering the players have been in for training less than a week and contract negotiations pretty much always take longer than that I doubt it has anything to do with ''impressing in training'' this pre-season.

Mashiter''s tweet is werid considering Maddison himself seems to praise Irvine in his statement, when there really wasn''t any need to.

I had heard something that AN and Maddison had a bust up last summer and Neil told him he ''needs to grow up''. Which is why he was sent out on loan (which probably was a good move ultimately).

Mashiter: "Good to see James Maddison''s new deal at #ncfc. Got some fans at the club, even if Neil and Irvine weren''t."

I got the impression AN made his mind up about a player very quickly and didn''t like anyone who was full of confidence and flair (e.g. Maddison, Pritchard). He preferred grafters.

The whole squad has a clean slate, so we''ll see who steps up to the new approach.

From the very little we have seen of this boy, it looks like we have a gem that when fully polished will shine.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]From the very little we have seen of this boy, it looks like we have a gem that when fully polished will shine.[/quote]

Lets hope he gets to shine here.

I have concerns that Webbers motivation is to bring in young talent nurture their development with first team action and sell on for good profit. I reckon he sees Maddison as an ideal candidate for a big money move next summer.

A good business model, but not great for fans. We''ve enjoyed a period in recent years of signing players at, or close to, their peak. With the emphasis on the here and now rather than future transfer profit. It''s worked well mostly.

I do sense a swing in this ethos moving forward. I don''t like the idea of returning to the status of whereby we play and sell our best young talent.

The reality is that every club that isn''t in the top 6 or 7 of the Premier League will have to sell their top young players to someone above them in the ladder. You then go poach a club lower down''s best young players - the exact way Norwich brought in Maddison.

Southampton are probably the biggest example of this at the moment and I really wouldn''t mind being in Southampton''s position to be honest.

Even the top six sell on.
Ake has just gone to Bournemouth for a reported £20M. So a nice profit for Chelsea.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]The reality is that every club that isn''t in the top 6 or 7 of the Premier League will have to sell their top young players to someone above them in the ladder. You then go poach a club lower down''s best young players - the exact way Norwich brought in Maddison.

Southampton are probably the biggest example of this at the moment and I really wouldn''t mind being in Southampton''s position to be honest.[/quote]

Essentially, I agree with you BYG. But ever since the Lamber season, we have bought players for the first team with either a point to prove or at the peak of their talents. Basically players ready to perform and do the business for the current season.

Yes, more recently we have signed younger players like canos and maddison who havent been ready. But we''ve still gone for the likes of Oliveria, Jerome, Pritchard etc for the first team.

During the last 6/7 seasons we''ve been as far away from a selling club as I''ve ever known. We''ve dictated who stays and who goes, and its nice as fan to know your signing players to perform now that we have a chance of keeping. Bar Redmond, which other Key player have we sold?

It feels like we may have to get used to watching talented young players for a season or two before there moved on. This strategy can work, as you point out with Saints, but as a fan i think I prepared signing the likes of Andrew Crofts, David Fox, BJ, Jonny Howson, Jerome, Pritchard, Russ Martin, Dorrans, Pilkington etc etc.... Players close to, or at their peak, so we get to see the best of them.

I don''t really want the club to end up as a conveyor belt for under 23 year old players.... This may not be the case, its just a feeling I get with Webber.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]Even the top six sell on.
Ake has just gone to Bournemouth for a reported £20M. So a nice profit for Chelsea.
[/quote]

Chelsea have a two pronged attack on transfers. Firstly sign world class players ready to perform in the first team, and secondly use their incredible scouting system to seek out young talent from across europe, with the intention of loaning them to lower prem or championship clubs to raise their profile before selling for tidy profits.

90% of these boys are signed on this basis, and are never considered as potential first team Chelsea players.

The clubs these players end up at, your Bournemouth''s etc, simply don''t have the scouting resource to unearth them and buy them at the modest fees Chelsea get them for.

It makes great business sense, but not really fair on the clubs that pay extortionate fees once there at Chelsea. You can''t even say Chelsea have helped with the development, since the players are almost instantly shipped out on loan. The players are simply pawns in a monopolised market.

It is hard to say at an earlier stage in his Norwich career but I don''t 100% get the vibe that is what Webber is all about.

Norwich have signed Vrancic who is 28 so at his peak and Watkins who is 26 so beyond the young player stage of his career.

As Norwich rely on a self funded model then it is sensible to bring in young players who can develop and be sold for a profit. If their value rises then it shows the club is doing something right.

The policy of signing lots of players in their peak is part of the reason Norwich find themselves where they do now. Those players all reached and then went over their peak and the club couldn''t afford to replace them all at once (or stuck with them too long).

It seems Webber is bringing a mixed transfer policy, like he did at Huddesfield, of some promising younger players along with players ready to perform now.

[quote user="Bethnal Yellow and Green"]It is hard to say at an earlier stage in his Norwich career but I don''t 100% get the vibe that is what Webber is all about.

Norwich have signed Vrancic who is 28 so at his peak and Watkins who is 26 so beyond the young player stage of his career.

As Norwich rely on a self funded model then it is sensible to bring in young players who can develop and be sold for a profit. If their value rises then it shows the club is doing something right.

The policy of signing lots of players in their peak is part of the reason Norwich find themselves where they do now. Those players all reached and then went over their peak and the club couldn''t afford to replace them all at once (or stuck with them too long).

It seems Webber is bringing a mixed transfer policy, like he did at Huddesfield, of some promising younger players along with players ready to perform now.[/quote]

Yes, valid point on the two signings mentioned. Although neither fill me with great excitement. Especially if they are replacing Howson. Time will tell, I guess. Regardless, we do have some fantastic talent at our disposal and if used correctly, should see us challenging for promotion.