Sign in to follow this  
Bill

Could they survive in the Championship ?

MathewsGodfrey Efete  Ramsay ToffoloMurphy  Thompson  Adams Murphy     Morris Maddison

Lewis, Middleton, Killip, Crowe, Cantwell

QUOTE USER Alan Jockstrap Hansen "You can’t win anything with kids".

With 5 or 6 already up to the standardI would only think they might struggle against some of the more ''robust'' play (ers) of the Championship

we might have to find out soon !! ( joke )

being serious i think they would struggle or even go down depends how much farke would be able to get his tactics across but huge ask to keep that team up

but after a few years playing as a team they might gel into something very good then they would become a good team in this league as they grown older and wiser together

[quote user="Morgan"]We playing 4 4 2?

Good to see you repping a Dereham lad in Cantwell tho[/quote]No, I was suggesting any formation - just an easy way to type

and ''formations'' are pretty meaningless... watch any game and it is where the ball and the opposition are that dictates where players arenot some cricketing style fielding positions

[quote user="norfolkngood"]we might have to find out soon !! ( joke )

being serious i think they would struggle or even go down depends how much farke would be able to get his tactics across but huge ask to keep that team up

but after a few years playing as a team they might gel into something very good then they would become a good team in this league as they grown older and wiser together[/quote]that was my real thoughtindividually I wouldn''t doubt that most could step up, but it would be a big ask to field any eleven of thosethe individuals are greater than the sum

Not sure formations are meaningless. We played the 4 2 3 1 under Neil relentlessly and didn''t make good use of Pinto who''s clearly. A wing back and had a passing play maker in Dorrans sitting in a low lying defensive midfield position when tackling isn''t his forte.

This lack of defensive thinking and cover by Neil meant we shopped a shit ton of goals. As BYG pointed out the other day, Tettey as a DM was asked to provide pivoting cover when his legs wouldn''t ever make it when surely a 4 1 4 1 would have been better especially utilising someone like Howson more.

So I do think formations matter. Though I get it was just as a forum piece. Apologies to get too technical.

Formations, if they exist, wish I very much doubt are totally meaningless once the whistle has blown.Watch the game and you will see players are all over the pitch, not stuck in some rigid line up that reacts to their own players rather than the opposition.I can state with absolute 100% confidence that you will not be able to stop a televised game and point out where the players are in relation to these supposed formationsas to  ''pivoting cover'' then you are simply regurgitating meaningless guff

Formations only go out of the window if you have pace and power

this is something we have lacked

if you have a CM with pace and power he will cover for CB but then be up the other end helping Strikers

if he is slow then he is unable to do this

but we need more fluid players who roam but with other players with pace and power who can read the game and have the legs to get there

If full backs have pace they can over lap the winger wide player but if they are slow they will never get back and stick to positions

Nope. By pivoting cover I mean when one player moves forward to draw a player of the opposing team out of position or tackle them if they have the ball, whilst the other moves back to fill in the formers position or provide some form of cover. Pivoting like a see-saw. Back and forth. You ever played football on pitch?

Morgan i agree i thought AN''s team were more stick to formation than Pivoting as you put it

i would like to see a bit more fluid play players interchanging if pinto goes bombing forward the DM keeps a eye on the right back position in case he has to cover something we have lacked and i feel it is alot to do with Pace of CM players

Blimey ! ! !Do players do that ?My goodness you learn something new everyday.One player covers another for player. Does he cover the opposition or does he find that particular spot on the pitch to stand ?

[quote user="SwindonCanary"]More important is the way we play -- high pressing and faster passing would be a good start [/quote]Or just closing down earlyChrist we were doing this forty years agobeing taught by coaches who had played in the 40''sall this vacuous mumbo jumbo over excites the not too bright to think that there has been new depths discovered and they are one of those ''part of the revelationplayers do not runabout in formation like some mechanical game in a 1960''s arcadewatch when there is a corner players mark their opposite player, similarly those who stay on the halfway line are there in relation to how many players the opposition has left upWatch a goal kick and note how the players will congregate towards where their opposing player has moved, NOT necessarily where the ball will gowatch when there is an attack there will often be more attacking players in the opposition half than defenders, they have lost their markers - where then the cricket outfield formationas I said if you can stop any game and show me where the players are in this rigid formation I would accept that there was a case to be made - but you won''t be able to

Well, apart from the lads playing, I think a lot would depend on the coach and the approach... But it would be a huge ask as I think they would be "out-bullied" a lot by teams in the Championship.

But with a good coach and subsequent team spirit they would gel quite well and I think they would at least keep Ipsh!t and two other teams behind them in the table....

Actually , if you pause a game you typically can see the formation a team is playing.

Certainly it''s even more obvious if that team doesn''t have the ball.

Interesting development from the OP but worth a good debate regardless. Every team plays with some form of tactics as players all have set positions. If there were no tactics players would be free to roam the pitch at will so we could end up with Jerome at CB and Pinto up front........hmmmm now there''s a thought!!!

And to answer the initial question I think that team would go down.......minimal first team experience across the entire team would send them straight down to league one. There''s a reason why most teams have a good mix of youth and experience!!!

I dont think they would, with a lack of consistency and both goals conceded and even more scored.

Several are ready for more game time though - Godfrey (central either mid or def not at right back) as well as the likes of thompson and maddison.

Loved the way Pep Guardiola defended corners, when at Barcelona. He kept three men up and a fourth well outside the box, it stopped the attacking team packing the box.