Sign in to follow this  
norfolkngood

Ricky van Wolfswinkel slams Norwich City’s ‘kick and rush’ style

[quote user="Fiery Zac"]Weird how those saying anything positive about him are still basing their arguments on ''ifs'' and ''maybes''. He had his chances here and at 2 other top leagues in Europe....and failed. He''s found his level, good luck to him....[/quote]Weird how those saying completely negative things about him are still ignoring all the evidence showing how badly mis-used he was at our club, and that clubs that directly played to his strengths (Utrecht, Sporting, Vitesse)

all got a 20 goal a season striker in exchange. He had virtually no chance to succeed here under Hughton''s nonsensical system, and at 2

other top leagues in Europe he was used sporadically and still not in the ideal way. He''s now showing what he can do given a fair shake in a sensible setup, and good

luck to him....

He has no strengths at the top levels in European football but has shown that he knows where the net is at a lower standard. Good luck to him

What really p*sses me off is the way people look at his record after he had been at Norwich as if it was some kind of confirmation that he was rubbish.   In my book the damage was done in the season at Norwich - and the next two seasons were him trying to get his form/confidence back. That he has come back and did so well last season is a credit to him and shows he is not the rubbish player people assumed he was on the basis of a difficult season at Norwich.  The problems that season were many and the reasons plentiful, he was just part of that - and as Indy Bones says there were mitigating circumstances.  But yeah, easy just to write him off.....

Why don''t we all wait and see how many he gets in the Champions League next season?

[quote user="Indy_Bones"][quote user="Fiery Zac"]Weird how those saying anything positive about him are still basing their arguments on ''ifs'' and ''maybes''. He had his chances here and at 2 other top leagues in Europe....and failed. He''s found his level, good luck to him....[/quote]Weird how those saying completely negative things about him are still ignoring all the evidence showing how badly mis-used he was at our club, and that clubs that directly played to his strengths (Utrecht, Sporting, Vitesse)

all got a 20 goal a season striker in exchange. He had virtually no chance to succeed here under Hughton''s nonsensical system, and at 2

other top leagues in Europe he was used sporadically and still not in the ideal way. He''s now showing what he can do given a fair shake in a sensible setup, and good

luck to him....[/quote]What is weird is that you keep defending him with arguments that are not true. He was not used sporadically at St-Etienne; he was given every chance. And he was given enough chances at Real Betis to succeed if he had been any good. Since you seem - strangely - to have missed it I will repost what I said earlier, which refutes you claims about how if one examined the details of his time at St-Etienne one would see he hadn''t done badly:I actually looked very closely at the details. In

the Europa League, for example, his one goal came against the worst team

in the group. Against the two good teams, Inter and Dnipro, he failed

to score. And in the league he did end up as an unused sub, despite

St-Etienne hardly being overblessed with strikers.I also

followed his progress closely in the local paper, and on the leading

St-Etienne message-board. And particularly the fans'' end-of-season

verdict. Which was split. Half thought he was technically OK (I suspect

some assumed because he was Dutch he had to be technically gifted and so

saw what they expected to see, in the same way Brazilians are assumed

to be genius ballplayers) but simply too lightweight for Ligue 1. The

other half thought he was technically sub-standard and too lightweight.

No-one was arguing that he had been a success, or even that he "didn''t

actually perform that badly". And the club delivered its own verdict but

not wanting to hold on to him.

What really p*sses me off is the way people look at his record after he had been at Norwich as if it was some kind of confirmation that he was rubbish. In my book the damage was done in the season at Norwich - and the next two seasons were him trying to get his form/confidence back.

I think that is spot on LDC he was on fire before he came here and was broken when he left

he was a Gary Lineker type player ( not as good ) where chances had to be made for him instead of making them for himself

Dean Ashton was the type we needed up front that season Hooper and RVW were not

Is he a great player now? i''m certainly not convinced, did ok in Holland if he has a good season this season coming then maybe i might start to change my opinion, but cant see personally.[:#]

[quote user="lake district canary"]What really p*sses me off is the way people look at his record after he had been at Norwich as if it was some kind of confirmation that he was rubbish.[/quote]Yeah, they do that with Snoddy too.......

[quote user="norfolkngood"]What really p*sses me off is the way people look at his record after he had been at Norwich as if it was some kind of confirmation that he was rubbish. In my book the damage was done in the season at Norwich - and the next two seasons were him trying to get his form/confidence back.

I think that is spot on LDC he was on fire before he came here and was broken when he left

he was a Gary Lineker type player ( not as good ) where chances had to be made for him instead of making them for himself

Dean Ashton was the type we needed up front that season Hooper and RVW were not[/quote]Not even in his book. He had a spell in the autumn with St-Etienne when he scored four or five goals (not all in the league) and gave an interview in which he said his confidence was back and he was enjoying football again. I have seen more sentimental garbage and footballing nonsense about van Wolfswinkel than about pretty much every other player in the history of the club combined.

He was simply a poacher, a type of striker that doesn''t tend to exist anymore as thing get more Total Football.

With the best will in the world, a striker like that, no matter how good at it he is, was not going to fill the Grant Holt shaped hole in the team. Wrong buy at the wrong time.

Apparently his best attributes were his running into space. But those runs were mainly away from the six-yard box and not into the six-yard box, which is where strikers need to be.

Basically he was a coward, scared of putting himself in the dangerous positions where he might get hurt.

Ryan Bennett, Stevie Whittaker, Mike Milligan, Hary Doherty and Rob Ullathorne all scored more Prem goals than Ricky. Ryan Jarvis got as many.

If he was a poacher, he''d have stumbled across more goals than he did. If he made clever runs he''d have got more goals than he did, if he was any good he''d have got more goals than he did and we wouldn''t have had to virtually give him away to get him off our books.

And then there was that pass at Fulham...

I really wanted him to succeed, he was (and probably still is) the most exciting signing (on paper) we''ve ever made. But he was rubbish with a capital rub and no amount of plumping of his pillows is going to change that.

I''m glad he had a decent season last year but he''all remain the worst 8m quid we''ve spent for quite some time.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="norfolkngood"]What really p*sses me off is the way people look at his record after he had been at Norwich as if it was some kind of confirmation that he was rubbish. In my book the damage was done in the season at Norwich - and the next two seasons were him trying to get his form/confidence back.

Dean Ashton was the type we needed up front that season Hooper and RVW were not[/quote]Not even in his book. He had a spell in the autumn with St-Etienne when he scored four or five goals (not all in the league) and gave an interview in which he said his confidence was back and he was enjoying football again. I have seen more sentimental garbage and footballing nonsense about van Wolfswinkel than about pretty much every other player in the history of the club combined.[/quote]

What would you expect him to say while at St Etienne?   "I''m off form and feeling miserable?"  He will say whatever he needs to in the situation he is in - as he has done on his going to Basle.   Also, there is no sentiment in thinking he has something to offer as a footballer, there is no sentiment in thinking that circumstances were against him at Norwich - the same as there is no sense in saying "he is a rubbish footballer".   It is all down to opinions and although he wasn''t prolific at St Etienne and Real Betis, he was by no means a disgrace and obviously did enough to start to get his career back on track. 

[quote user="hogesar"]As always, thanks for saving me the trouble Purple.[/quote]Hogesar, I tell myself I have stopped. I have done with van Wolfswinkel. I will not reply the next time he gets defended. And then I get sucked back in by the latest piece of blind nonsense. But this is the last time. I can beat this addiction. I can. I know I can...

LDC he didn''t start to get his career back on track until he lowered himself to Vitesse... His spells at St Etienne and Betis proved what he showed at Ncfc, that he''s not cut out for a top league. Yes he wasn''t played in a system here that was suited to him but he still looked awful no matter what he did on the pitch. Poor touch, poor pass, no strength, snapped at any chance that did come his way. Forget stats, I had to witness it. I''m astounded there can be excuses for him.

We had players that season that made the best of a bad situation. Holty wasn''t played in a system he could thrive in yet still scored 8 goals, he adjusted and made things happen. When RVW tried to make things happen, they went wrong. Players in the top league need to be more flexible in their all round game. In the lower standard leagues you can get away with weaknesses more and are more likely to find a club that will play to a poachers game. As I said, good luck to him, he''s found his level.

At least Snodgrass contributed quite a bit that season, with more goals and assists than RvW. We paid under half that what we paid for Ricky too, and made a nice little profit when we sold him.

It''s hardly just based on opinions. The facts are that he has tried his hand in 3 top European leagues and failed in each one with the teams not choosing to take him on. He''s a good lower level goal scorer and will never make it at the top level

Also no team in a top European league is ever going to change their style of play just to suit his limited capabilities

I will also add that a player of ours exact words to me about RVW were '' nice lad, crap player, he just doesn''t have anything''

No criticism here, but I really cannot be bothered to wade through another thread about the pros and cons surrounding the signing of Rikki Van Wolfswinkel.

Same old.

A biography of Rip Van Winkle would now surely make more interesting reading.

Add all the RVW posts up and they probably come a close second in count to those in the long running Euro thread that hardly anybody bothers with either.

Probably third are the postings about the merits or otherwise of Russell Martin, with those about Fabulous Fabio coming fourth in the listings(?)

Roll on the new season and the bottom line is that I would rather have Dolly and Cameron in the squad any and every day over Van the Man.

[quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hogesar"]As always, thanks for saving me the trouble Purple.[/quote]Hogesar, I tell myself I have stopped. I have done with van Wolfswinkel. I will not reply the next time he gets defended. And then I get sucked back in by the latest piece of blind nonsense. But this is the last time. I can beat this addiction. I can. I know I can...[/quote]Praise be!

[quote user="westcoastcanary"][quote user="PurpleCanary"][quote user="hogesar"]As always, thanks for saving me the trouble Purple.[/quote]Hogesar, I tell myself I have stopped. I have done with van Wolfswinkel. I will not reply the next time he gets defended. And then I get sucked back in by the latest piece of blind nonsense. But this is the last time. I can beat this addiction. I can. I know I can...[/quote]Praise be![/quote]The thing is, I now have this Norwich City-funded anti-addiction charity to help me get through cold turkey...

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]No criticism here, but I really cannot be bothered to wade through another thread about the pros and cons surrounding the signing of Rikki Van Wolfswinkel. Same old. A biography of Rip Van Winkle would now surely make more interesting reading. Add all the RVW posts up and they probably come a close second in count to those in the long running Euro thread that hardly anybody bothers with either. Probably third are the postings about the merits or otherwise of Russell Martin, with those about Fabulous Fabio coming fourth in the listings(?) Roll on the new season and the bottom line is that I would rather have Dolly and Cameron in the squad any and every day over Van the Man.[/quote]

Thanks BR for this post, which saves me the bother of saying exactly the same thing !

Ther''s always a "but..." where RVW is concerned because no-one (including me) can believe that we really paid £8.5m for someone if they were so obviously complete garbage!

We must have seen something he never displayed while he was here.

To some degree I accept he is a confidence player, but having scored on his debut (lucky header) he then missed a sitter in the next game and played like a zombie, and never got any better.

How can he have fooled so many people? And now, someone has paid another £4m for him!! Clearly, there is something we are not seeing!

How come RvW''s header against Everton has been downgraded to "lucky" when it was lauded as fantastic after the game? And how come his excellently timed, goal bound header against Hull, kept out only by virtue of a top class reflex save from McGregor,  is now described as "a sitter missed"? (Rhetorical question)

I think the fact they are the only 2 examples we have to discuss probably answers your question, Westcoast.

People always use Dirk Kuyt as a yard stick to beat RvW with,

RvW as a almost identical (Portuguese) record to Andre Silva, who has just signed for Milan for £38 Million Euro.