Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

The Clearout that isn't

Following the news that Russell Martin has signed a contract extension, I thought I''d revisit the now infamous team that played in the 5-0 defeat at Brighton - the game where our skipper came out afterwards and basically told us that too many players gave up and didn''t care about playing for Norwich.

So our line up that day was: McGovern, Martin, Bennett, Klose, Olsson, Dorrans, Tettey, Jacob, Hoolahan, Pritchard, Jerome.

Oliveira, Naismith and Brady came on as substitutes.

Since then we have sold Olsson and Brady for about £15m, both to the PL, and we have released Bennett who has joined a similar sized team in the same league.

All the other players who "gave up" that day are still here - though maybe Dorrans is on his way.

Not much of a clear out, is it?

It''s obvious nobody wants the rest and as we are shopping in the Charity shops now we are stuck with those players as we appear to have even less money than that lot over the border who have found some money! Maybe they nicked our money😂😂

Perhaps the players that gave up have now left ? Some of the others may be unwanted but it is only the 4th of July

If Dorrans go, which is looking increasingly likely, then moving on 4 players over the period of a winter transfer window and the very early days of a pre-season, isn''t actually bad going, is it?

The idea that Norwich could sell 6 or 7 first team players in just over 6 months is pretty unrealistic.

Releasing 7 was the start, we''ve since sold Rudd and Dorrans appears to be going. For any of the rest you do need to find a buyer. In any case, there''s not that many in that XI, McGovern apart, that I''d be keen on losing without having nailed on certainties ready to replace.

[quote user="sgncfc"]Following the news that Russell Martin has signed a contract extension, I thought I''d revisit the now infamous team that played in the 5-0 defeat at Brighton - the game where our skipper came out afterwards and basically told us that too many players gave up and didn''t care about playing for Norwich.

So our line up that day was: McGovern, Martin, Bennett, Klose, Olsson, Dorrans, Tettey, Jacob, Hoolahan, Pritchard, Jerome.

Oliveira, Naismith and Brady came on as substitutes.

Since then we have sold Olsson and Brady for about £15m, both to the PL, and we have released Bennett who has joined a similar sized team in the same league.

All the other players who "gave up" that day are still here - though maybe Dorrans is on his way.

Not much of a clear out, is it?[/quote]There''s still plenty of time for new players to come in.Imagine if we were to see something like this for the opening day (bear in mind some players will likely be replaced by incoming signings, with the backup player listed 2nd after the slash):                                                    Gunn/Matthews                   Pinto/Martin,       Klose/Zimmermann,     Bielik/Toffolo                                                 Vranjic/Thompson                                  Howson/Godfrey,   Pritchard/Naismith               Ja.Murphy/Watkins,      Wes/Maddison,         Wildschut/Jo.Murphy                                                    Nelson/JeromeOf the defenders from ''that'' game, you only have Klose starting (and that''s not guaranteed), the midfield has a changed approach and much crisper passing and attacking aspect, Murphy and Wes retain their places on the back of a season where we failed even they didn''t so much, and nobody has ever questioned Jerome''s attitude or workrate. Also, don''t view Pritchard/Naismith as playing a traditional CM role, think more of a Man City approach with players like De Bruyne and Silva playing behind Aguero type way.So potentially a very different side than in the game you mention, and that''s just using our existing squad to begin with!

Personally I''d expect something like the below. A basic copy of Tuchel''s 3-4-3 at Dortmund. Murphy and Pritchard to start from wider positions and cut inside a la Reus and Dembele.

Some obvious replacements needed in defence with upgrades needed on Zimmerman and Klose, while Toffolo really isn''t suited to a LWB job. He could potentially move into the back 3 as he started out as a centre back - that is where he played in the Youth Cup team I think. Personally not sure how good Thompson is and with Dorrans and Howson both going centre mids are desperately needed.

I think this team could be a real force in the Championship, especially as many teams aren''t particularly suited to facing teams who stray away from the standard tactics.

Gunn

Martin Zimmerman Klose

Pinto Thompson Vrancic Toffolo

Ja Murphy Pritchard

Nelson

With the 7 contract enders all leaving early, and with Rudd, Dorrans and Howson on their way, that makes 10 players gone, if i recall Webber said  early that he expected 10-12 to go so hes pretty much spot on. Was also said that we had to sell before we could buy, and as thats happened to maybe we will now see 2 or 3 new faces coming in, hopefully a couple of defenders, maybe a striker, not sure about midfield. Also because we had a big roster of players, its natural to assume that come end of the window the squad will be at least 2 or 3 less than it was last season.All in all, as long as we get 2 or 3 more new faces, its pretty much what we expected, a decent shake up and a much different looking squad than weve seen for many a season.

I am keeping an open mind some of the players leaving were poor others very good. The players coming in on paper are a mixed bag it all depends on how they fell as a team. It could all be inspirational or it could be a car crash none of us really knows until the proper games start

I think replacing 7 bad, 1 average and 2 good players with 6 average ones will make us better as a team.

You can afford to be without stars much more than you can carry people.

I don''t think it is a matter of 7 bad, 1 average and 2 good players. I think it was more of an attitude problem and now the new management set up is letting it become known that you either "shape up or ship out" - no matter how self important you think you are.

Hopefully, this attitude change will be reflected on the field of play. So I agree with 7rew''s comment that 6 average players - with the right attitude - in exchange for the 10 mentioned above, will make us better as a team.

From reading Nick Mashiters tweets who seems to be Webbers go to guy then Mcgovern, Jarvis & Wildschut are Surplus.

That''s some clear out.