Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Graham Dorrans

Again another who i would let go

A bit like Naismith for me looked better at his last club both before they joined looked great players

those two really should be ripping up the championship and are costing us a lot in wages for little return and number of games played

unique wrote the following post at 29/05/2017 2:52 PM:

Good.

New broom continues to sweep.......

Why is it good?

This was reported in the Sunday People yesterday also.

Not sure where Rangers would get the cash from for his wages, even with a big pay cut.

Apples

Wot No Fee? Are we going to give everyone away for nothing?

Because it will free up another space for a possibly younger, hopefully hungrier, and maybe more mobile midfielder, that will improve our squad. Dorran''s has failed to live up to his earlier years.

If the new coach is keen on possession, than hopefully Tettey will be next......

would be sad to see him go; most influential of the central midfielders last season with comfortable the best win rate (I think the only one with >50% win rate per start) and was truly, not fictionally, missed when he didnt start; he moved the ball quickly most of the time, unlike nearly every other player who needs a touch first..

However his injury record is a persistent worry and he is not getting any younger - if its a good fee and we have a hot replacement in the mooy line in mind then sayonara.

Not one of the core 6-7 we must keep

I think people have to respect that we have many player on wages that are unsustainable, we have to let people go to free up wages. 

It raises an important question...who will we get to play on the left wing if we let him go?

Apples

Dorrans has his qualities and top end Championship is probably his level. But has he ever really cemented his place in the starting 11? He''s most likely on a high wage and is often unavailable for selection. As someone mentioned above, he''s not among the ''must-keeps'' and a move would not be hugely surprising. I''d be happy to see him stay but wouldn''t be upset to see him leave.

King canary I agree there. Moving the ball quickly isn''t something I associate Dorrans with either.

30 years old, we signed him permanently from another prem side so can imagine he''s on quite a good wage.

If he doesn''t fit the way we wanna play then let''s cash in. I had high hopes for him and was delighted when we signed him on loan. He''s done alrite here hardly pulled up any trees.

He is a player with interest right now.

He is also replaceable and with our transfer strategy looking at Germany and English leagues we can get a similar player for much less wages.

For me a player who could move on and be replaced.

I think it''d be a real shame if he leaves. A much better footballer than Tettey, collects the ball from deep and distributes it intelligently. By no means irreplaceable, but I''d like to see him stay for sure.But still, I could see why he''d want to leave - boyhood club, 50,000 passionate fans every home match, European football and Old Firm derbies...

Would like him to stay 100 per cent player gets stuck in Rangers will be getting a good player

Since he''s been here I''ve always been of the opinion he''s a good player but a good squad player, not someone you should be aiming to have as first choice.

Yes he''s a decent passer and he is at his best when he moves the ball on quickly but he doesn''t always move it on as quick as he could/should.

I also think there''s a bit of a lack of mobility and pace. He gets stuck in though.

In summary -I wouldn''t lose sleep if he left, I''d be pleased if he was in our squad...I wouldn''t be thrilled if he was in our first choice 11.

Glasgow Evening Times is reporting that "initial discussions have taken place with Canaries chiefs over a deal."

Apples

30k a week, never worth that.

Sorry has never been a difference maker, his delivery and reputation does not mean he should be on that if we can move on it will be ideal.

Get a younger player who can develop and be on less £

Hope discussions are happening. Rangers could help us out this season taking high earners from us who have a deep affiliation with that club.

He is at the tail end of his career probably on premiership wages. A nice passer of the ball at times but not a big contributer of assists or through balls plus he''s slow and no Pirlo. Another of our "must buy some people with prem experience" purchases.Good for the possession stats and pass completion but it''s mostly square or backwards passing that he deals in. The guy is decent with a good attitude but won''t be prem quality in a years time I would prefer to blood some younger players in his place. Rangers love him. It seems like an ideal move.

I think the problem is partially that the view on here seems to be "ah, thats OK, just replace him with a younger player who could be better".

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. We can''t fall into the trap of replacing everyone - we will struggle to match some of the quality we already have.

i agree Hogesar but with Dorrens he is one of the top earners now with out the top performances 6/10 for a high earner is not good enough for us now

Hucks was a top earner but his form was 8/10 mostly with 9 and 10 ''s some weeks rarely bad games that''s what we need now from our top earners ( easy to say i know )

now you could argue that Dorrens doing the easy stuff is letting the flair players shine but never really runs the midfield for me

[quote user="hogesar"]I think the problem is partially that the view on here seems to be "ah, thats OK, just replace him with a younger player who could be better".

If it were that easy, everyone would be doing it. We can''t fall into the trap of replacing everyone - we will struggle to match some of the quality we already have.[/quote]
It''s a good point hogesar but I think we have to prioritise, the wage bill is too big as it stands, cut the squad down to the core quality foundation and build around it from there, as for Dorrans I wouldn''t rate him much better than above average for the division and therefore a rather low priority to keep. I think we also have to be mindful of players who are going to adapt to the new ethos of the club.

I come back to the point I made on the Klose thread - McGovern, Jones, Dorrans, Jarvis, Tettey are the players who are ageing and on high wages (Jones excepted I presume). As ''squad'' players, rather than first teamers, if we sell those 5, we could save ourselves £5m a year in wages (rough estimate based on 20k each per week).

However, that''s a risky strategy - plus someone else needs to want them first. We can''t just cancel their contracts.