Sign in to follow this  
Crabbycanary3

Russell Martin has signed a new contract until 2019

Just what''s needed, is a very solid pro, with what''s looking like a major changes coming we need solid pros who know our club to help new players settle.

always good at RB and does a job at CB, glad to see him sign a new contract.

Terrible decision , third rate player these days and him starting in the middle with a German fourth division player should alarm everybody . The way this club is going now fully expect another stint in League 1 pretty soon , Martin should of been got rid off at least two years ago that he has brown nosed  himself yet another new contract is utterly ridiculous .

Really, have we sold Klose? Has the transfer window closed?

Come on like Drury of old a great pro and good enough to warrant a contract.

It is village and further suggests the whole "things have changed" mantra is just window dressing for downsizing.

A rookie manager - again

No better CB in - again

Martin the golden boy- again

For me the one player we needed to move on was Martinez not only because he passed his sell buy a while ago and has been poor for two seasons at least, but also because he is the embodiment of an era in which the defence has sucked big time.

If he is a starter again next season - L1 will be deserved. How many times can we go into the season with the same man and still expect a better outcome?

I can see why we have done it but he is a player who has not improved year on year for a long time.

If we had been a mid table championship team then he would have ben more than adequate, but fails in the league above.

Pinto is our right back but my god Martin is a squad player not a starter. We need two centre halves to lead.

I have seen enough players in our teams fold or no improve over recent years. I believe with our limited funds and ethos of working with the young means we can install the right team.

Martin will be valuable at the club but not as a starter.

So I would ask the dissenters where the replacement is coming from? There are no top defenders around. Hence the fee that was paid for John Stones, an average defender.
If there was a versatile CB/RB around he would be snapped up by a Prem club.

[quote user="Essjayess"]Defence needed a major clearout close season, we got that early with Bassong, Bennett, Turner and Whittaker leaving. If any one of the old guard defence was going to stay, Russ was going to be the one. Yea we all know he is not one of the greatest defenders this last couple of seasons, but he is much more than that for the club in general. Overall the plusses outweigh the minuses, so well done Russ, besides, we may well need him and Naismith to add some wisdom to the much more youthful side that we seem to be expecting, just hope they and Wes can keep up with so many younger legs out there.[/quote]This is how i also see it.

[quote user="Dean Coneys boots"] How many times can we go into the season with the same man and still expect a better outcome?[/quote]Well there was a couple of times.

[quote user="Indy"]Really, have we sold Klose? Has the transfer window closed?

Come on like Drury of old a great pro and good enough to warrant a contract.[/quote].. But not good enough at centre back. Perhaps we will play with a sweeper next season and he might be able to do a job there. If he is first choice CB, I have to agree with others that we will be looking at a disappointing season ahead.

Can Big Vince please confirm that the new contract contains the clause inserted by Delia that if Martin is fit he has to play ?Where is he by the way,3 pages and over 30 posts and still no sign of him. [:P]

Can people genuinely not wait to see what other defensive signings are potentially coming in before they start sharpening the pitchforks AGAIN???If, when the transfer window has closed we''ve brought nobody else in, and Martin is the firm selection in a back two, then I''ll join in the criticism to some degree, but at this stage it''s beyond silly to do so.As others have already pointed out, Martin is a good pro, and a perfectly capable squad player, so a contract extension which reduces his current wages whilst still giving us that cover is a very sensible deal IMHO.

As I expected, the usual negative drivel from clueless supporters!

While I''ll totally agree that Russell Martin has his weaknesses, his positives far outweigh the negatives!

A lot of the trouble is Martins got a rather bland British name and we signed him from Peterborough. But Klose who was poorer than Martin last season doesn''t get nowhere near as much criticism. Reminds me of the love affair many fans had with Javier Garrido a few years back. - While Garrido was competent he was over rated by many cause he was foreign. Had Garrido been called Harry Smith and come from Cambridge he would have been not so over rated!

Martins still a decent pro, and a more than decent Championship level player!

I''ll argue this with anyone, but think about last season hard and you''ll realise that Martin was out best CB last season whether you accept it or not!

Combine this with the fact hes also a more than capable rightback and is rarely injured or ill and it makes sense!

Good common sense move by the club!

Martin was part of a teamwide problem and the excessive critisim he gets is unfair as it is difficult for any player to play at their best if things are wrong with the team as a whole. He struggled last season and to an extent the previous season -  but at his best he has good positional sense and distributes the ball well - as he showed in previous seasons.  He has to recapture that form and that is likely to happen if the team as a whole functions well under the new regime.  That is the key - that the new regime gets the players better organised and motivated.  If that happens, Martin will be right in there - and at CB, imo.

Not unhappy with this. I think he''ll play in a three so expect us to sign at least one other CB. Worth another contract.

I think people are overlooking two important points.

1, We don''t have the money to sign better RB/CB cover than Martin at this level.

2, we need some continuity after othe senior players have departed as they will, we can''t start the season with 12 new players and our youngsters, a new unproven manager and a very young CEO in Webber! Or whatever his title is.

We don''t have millions to spend.

We don''t have 12 new players and I suspect we only need another CB (fingers crossed) and a LB, then we will be set to go.

That''s assuming no others leave other than Dorrans and Howson

[quote user="Rich T The Biscuit"]I hope not Fuzzar, one less defender for Capt Point Finger to blame for bekgnout of position.

He can''t defend in a 4, god help us if he''s part of a 3![/quote]Too slow for a 4 let alone a 3 would have been better off keeping Bassong on reduced terms far better defender imo, really not good enough for a start if we are to progress and please dont tell me he can teach the youngsters the art of defending

Managers pick him international managers pick him Pro speak well of him

but for me to start fresh Russ martin would have been sold

The Defence has been our weak point for a few seasons and there is one man who is Normal in it when fit and that''s Martin not all his fault of course but i see it as players are normally covering for him instead of the other way round

i just can not see how he is the Rock at the heart of the defence gets turned far to easy for me and we have seen that ball between RB and RCB far to often with russ caught in to minds with a striker on his shoulder for my liking

But as i started the Managers love him ! so what do i know

I''m like everyone and would love to see us sign three new CB, but having let two go in Bassong and Bennett, there''s no way we can afford to lose Martin and Klose, that would mean only one new CB from the very unknown reserve leagues of Germany.

We can''t afford to buy better than Martin. By the way we''ve let 7 players go, we''ve sold one keeper, about to sell at least four more if the club are to be believed so we might well see 8-12 new players in, we have four already and need at least three new defenders, a couple holding midfielders and possibly a new striker if Jerome departs.

I''m pleased to keep Martin.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]Managers pick him international managers pick him Pro speak well of him

but for me to start fresh Russ martin would have been sold

The Defence has been our weak point for a few seasons and there is one man who is Normal in it when fit and that''s Martin not all his fault of course but i see it as players are normally covering for him instead of the other way round

i just can not see how he is the Rock at the heart of the defence gets turned far to easy for me and we have seen that ball between RB and RCB far to often with russ caught in to minds with a striker on his shoulder for my liking

But as i started the Managers love him ! so what do i know[/quote]I''m not so sure that this starting afresh was solely about footballing abilities. Martin has stayed with all the managers in the last eight years so he must be doing something right somewhere. And suggests that certain others were doing the opposite. Anyway this season is a month away, that''s all behind us and there''s much to look forward to.

Good pro, cheap wages, consistent, covers several positions and good injury record. Great squad player that would cost more to cover. I want better but we also need 4 CBs.

Not something that to get too excited about.

We cannot afford better than Martin , utter rubbish if we are that skint then the sooner we drop a league the better , you only have to look down the road to see where you get in this league with no money and the type of signings we are making .

An awful and more importantly unnecessary decision.

If Farke wanted RM as his link to players then he had that as he had a contract until the end of the season.

RM started as an average defender and has got steadily worse over a number of seasons - People talk about him being picked regularly by Norwich and International managers.............not any more - he rarely starts for a poor Scotland team and was dropped more than once by AN last season - that considered WTF give him an extended contract!

For those deluded souls out there that think he has taken a pay cut - Wake up! Really????? Ridiculous.

After some positive steps by our new management team we have now taken one huge step backwards

There''s some tragic Ipswich fans on this thread.

The only logical reason for personal abuse towards a loyal club captain and ambassador who''s given absolutely everything for the club even if he''s not the best player we have. Regardless, was the best CB last season and makes sense for him to stay on.

Like I said before, the other players respect him. That''ll be important for us and Farke next season.

Clearly Farke sees a role him, and Russ sounds genuinely enthusiastic about what the new Coach is trying to do.

Pleased he''s staying.

Absolute joke...Russell Martin epitomises all that is wrong with our club at the moment. Bang average/poor player and and even worse on pitch captain.

Still fits nicely with the future strategy Delia and her misguided cronies have for the club....and for those of you that haven''t quite worked that out yet that isn''t a club that has aspirations for playing in the premier league...

The one thing I was hoping for following the appointment of third team German coach was that he would get rid of that muppet.

Why also do some of you think he will be a good coach ? The bloke has the positional sense of a blind ostrich and the leadership skills of Donald Trump...absolute joke...

I''ve been a season ticket holder for 30 years and been going for 40 and I don''t think I have ever felt as dissolutioned about an upcoming season as a do now....

Good luck to all of you who think this is a positive and progressive move - enjoy your season