Sign in to follow this  
Regime Change

Respect & Courtesy

I don''t post very often on this site but I look quite regularly and it usually consists of very intelligent insightful debate.  However, at times there is a tendency for posts to contain comments which are unnecessary, offensive and rude.

In particular, some people appear to have taken exception to posting which was not grammatically perfect.  There are many people who have difficulty reading and/or writing for various reasons (which may or may not be the case in this instance).

This does not make them less intelligent, their opinions less valuable, nor entitle people to expose them to ridicule and criticism.

As a matter of interest I would be interested to know how posts on this site are moderated.

Although i can understand your views, but when people post comments which they fail to back up, include poor (or no :whistling grammar and seem to be offensive or insulting towards others, why should we not have the right to point out their mistakes/ask for examples etc.

Also, you mention that some people cannot write/spell easily, how about those who cannot read/understand english so well???

I am in total agreement with your sentiments Scott.

I can imagine there are a lot of individuals/fans etc, who would love to participate in written debate on this site, but sadly just tend to lurk and read the posts instead. Many I assume, are deterred by the thought of some of the more educated or ''seasoned members'', who do have a tendency to belittle and mock those who may have a slight problem with their English, spelling or punctuation, or may suffer from dyslexia or have difficulty in expressing themselves.

These pseudo ''Demi-God''s'', sitting on their jewelled encrusted thrones; whilst floating on wispy cotton wool clouds, supping ambrosia from pewter flagon''s in their self styled ''Utopia'', gaze with stern and furrowed brow- down upon us mere mortals below. They wait to strike with pointed Golden Scribe, the precise moment when some audacious but unfortunate commoner, who ever dares to type on their cheap keyboard anything that they don''t concur with. They congregate like hyenas'' with dictionary and thesaurus poised at the ready; delivering with gusto the line: "We can''t help noticing chum, but we are the supreme wordsmiths, more loyal supporters, and are vastly superior to you!"

Yes Scott, I''ve noticed that some who participate on here take great delight on telling others how clever and well educated they are...."Spell it how you say it son" my Dad said..... 

I''m now awaiting a battery of "Golden Scribes" being targeted toward my upper torso!  Got my flak Jacket on though! ;~) 

"I know my place oh mighty Gods!"......"I''m not Worthy!" (whilst I bow frantically and tug my forelock). OTBC

[quote]I am in total agreement with your sentiments Scott. I can imagine there are a lot of individuals/fans etc, who would love to participate in written debate on this site, but sadly just tend to lurk an...[/quote]

I have no objection to how people present their views on this forum.  I suggest that everyone should post in Naarfak.

What I detest are the insults posters throw at each other when they disagree.   

Saint, I totally agree. If people are less able with their grammar and spelling, so what? They''re not doing it on purpose. However, when people choose to be rude or insulting, that''s not acceptable; for example, a poster called another poster "thick" the other night, simply because he disagreed with his view. I was tempted to let loose with both barrels in defence of the "thick" poster, but I didn''t want to drag myself down to that level. 

If people want to be rude, insulting or abusive, there are other Boards to which they can happily migrate!

This board does have the most analytical and well thought out NCFC commentary, which is why I like reading it, BUT some of the posters are too aware of this and get too easily wound up by ‘texters’ (who are probably wind up merchants who know that they will get a response).

Just ignore what you do not like.

I don''t have a problem with people using simple English, what I do have a problem with is people who insist on using text language constantly when they obviously could use correct English. There was a thread the other day about different forums for City fans and I have to agree with the points made then that this site is for those who prefer well written debates, and there are other sites for those who prefer less detailed, text speak discussions. As long as posts are understandable and have a real point of discussion then I''m happy for new members to appear.

With the greatest respect to those who post on the Wrath of the Barclay site - there is hardly any animosity or lack of respect on this site,  when it does happen, enough people administer a well earned literary slap to the offender who (generally) without fail then comes over all sheepish and admits that they did throw their toys out of the cot and apologises either directly or obliquely (usually with another slight insult) and kicks the whole affair off again!!!  Oh and we all do it without resorting to the sort of inane comments on the WOTB...

That''s why I love this board - sensible, but slight wacky debates!

with you on that one plastic!!

i do sometimes use the wotb, but find it an instant sort of site (sort of a pot noodle v full english breakfast in comparison to this one) though i have since been guided by meeky (who seems to be on there all the time) that you can get rid of the idle/inane chat threads and concentrate on the ncfc ones

still, this one is still vastly superior - yes there are factions on here who abuse other posters on here for differing opinions, but you have that in real life, for example a pub or at work, there are always going to be split opinions on everything, take favourite albums, films etc

as for grammar, i think it is pretty good to be honest, i know i should use capitals more, but it''s quicker to type entirely in lower case, perhaps i have too much to say!

The only thing that slightly p*isses me off is the use of "text messaging" posts. Given that there is a spell checking facility I can''t see the merit in putting up a post that is difficult to read as you have to try and decipher what the post is actually saying. I am not particularly bothered about other people''s points of view, or their short sightedness.......that''s their problem