Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Fulham in for Jerome....

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Feed The Wolf, I know and agree there are to be changes, but i think finding a loan signing up top will be alot more difficult (not saying impossible) to replace a proven striker. Whoever comes in has to do the job if we are to be promoted.

We must not forget Huddersfield were in a completely different situation to us (their template at the start was different). They had very different expectations at the beginning of the season. If Kachunga had not worked out the fans wouldnt have thrown the baby out with the bath water in the same way as a club selling a proven striker who are actively aiming at promotion from the off.

As for Mooy, good good player granted but if he''d been a striker who rattled in 25 goals he''d have been 15m+ that''s not peanuts.

Personally, i''d like to see a striker brought in (loan or otherwise), if that player works out fine let Jerome go in the Jan transfer window, but not before. We will easily get that 1.5 for Jerome in January when everyone is desperate.

Of course if things are dire financially, then we''ll all just have to suck it up.[/quote]Good, well-reasoned post Yellowbeagle.I guess my opinion is largely based upon being resigned to losing some more big earners - and I particularly take your point about being able to get decent money for him in January. But he''s still profligate in front of goal, and the right player in the right system could be a better support striker for Oliveira (who is unquestionably the best finisher on our books) than an ageing striker who does tend to miss a lot of good chances. What''s the point of paying £25k a week (estimate!) for a striker who isn''t going to start? I''d rather Farke brings in someone in his own mould on lower wages. When was the last time we had a striker with genuine pace? Earnshaw?

So if they had the chance to sign Messi or Ronaldo they wouldn''t because they are over 28?

Difficult one, on one hand, he''s 31 next month, and he''s been playing since he was 18, having amassed nearly 450 games in 13 seasons, and with two years left on his contract and a high wage, you wonder how much he''s got left in the tank.On the other hand, he''s incredibly committed, knows his game and you''re not going to be able to replace him for the money you sell him for.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]We only paid about £1.5m for him three years ago, and he''s going to be 31 next month. I know he''s a proven goalscorer at this level, but we have already shown we are keen to move on high earners. If we could get £2.5m or so, and spend that on a ''young-and-hungry'', it wouldn''t be the worst business in the world.[/quote]

No, no, no. Some of our fans seem to be more excited about saving wages and flogging players than they are about supporting a decent team.

Hmmm... for me it is a tricky one, on the one hand he''s no spring chicken and a couple of £m is handy, but we''re ultimately talking about our most consistent striker who is proven at this level and we aren''t exactly awash with striking options. I guess it may depends partly on what is lined up, but I would have concerns if we relied on too many loans.

In a quick-transition, counter style, Jerome is ace. If we want to dominate the ball, he''s relatively useless.

When he came in, Webber said we would have to get creative with funds, cut the wage bill and reduce the age of the squad. High-earning players over 28 should be considered at risk IMO and Jerome would be one of them.

If you look at what has been said, I think it''s likely the forwards will be Oliveira, Jerome/ Jerome''s replacement and Carlton Morris, keeping things very trim. Particularly if we''ll only use 1 up front for the most part.

GJP wrote the following post at 2017-07-05 2:46 AM:

So if they had the chance to sign Messi or Ronaldo they wouldn''t because they are over 28?

Why are you asking that question. Take it to the director of football at Fulham FC he''s the one who states the fact! You think Fulham could afford either, and let''s face it Jerome certainly isn''t in that bracket!

Too many ageing wannabe''s who were the epitome of last years shambles and in need of the chop and people complain when anyone comes sniffing 🙄

Grab the shotguns some said the word change 🔫

The value is probably about right, but for me he is more important to us than losing a £5m+ howson - where do have options.

Goal scorers are scarce and he (and Nelson) virtually guarantee those for us, their skills complement each other well giving us options; and no one gives more on the pitch game in game out.

I can see why we would sell and wont be distraught if we do, but I hope he stays

Strikers are hardest to replace and we know Jerome will always give 100% and will always cause problems for Champs level defenders.  Last season we were fortunate to be able to bring in Oliveira but look at how much time he''s been injured.  This would concern me a lot more than Howson going.

Only City 2nd appears to have actually read the article!

I suggest everyone else does so before working themselves up. It only says we paid £1.5 million for Jerome, nothing about a fee now.

[quote user="Nuff Said"]Only City 2nd appears to have actually read the article!

I suggest everyone else does so before working themselves up. It only says we paid £1.5 million for Jerome, nothing about a fee now.[/quote]
This! While I can appreciate the...er...''fun'' in debating whether selling Jerome to a Championship rival for a pitiful £1.6m would be a sensible decision, I can''t believe the number of comments on this thread that appear to imply a bid has been lodged and is being mulled over by the Norwich Board. Or event hat the Fulah Board are considering placing a cheeky bid. The link doesn''t work for me so I thought I must have tracked down the wrong article. All I can see is [paraphrased] ''the Fulham manager quite fancies Norwich''s prolific frontman but his board have not agreed to most of his requests yet so he''s probably pi$$ing in the wind there''. Does anybody see a report from an even remotely credible source suggesting Fulham are even likely to give it a go?

they were pretty much spot on with us signing Adeyami

[quote user="norfolkbroadslim"]Funny how this ageing players on higher wages thing didn''t apply to Martin! [;)][/quote]I assume he probably just took a cut.

Funny how this ageing players on higher wages thing didn''t apply to Martin!

perhaps martin isnt one of the players in the higher wages thing?

Perhaps a small pay cut (dont think it would be much if there is one) and a plan to get him involved with coaching longer term is on the cards?