Sign in to follow this  
Lessingham Canary

Fulham in for Jerome....

We only paid about £1.5m for him three years ago, and he''s going to be 31 next month. I know he''s a proven goalscorer at this level, but we have already shown we are keen to move on high earners. If we could get £2.5m or so, and spend that on a ''young-and-hungry'', it wouldn''t be the worst business in the world.

I doubt ''young and hungry'' at £1.5 million is likely to find the net anywhere near as much as Jerome at this level. I''d draw the line at this sale

To be fair, I did say £2.5m. And he still misses too many chances for my liking - I''d be happy with Oliveira as our first choice, and then someone who fits Farke''s mould as a backup player/impact sub. Vardy only cost £1m, and while I know he was a one-off, if you put the right player in the right system them his quality - and value - can appreciate incredibly quickly.

When Webber came out with his "only 12-15 players of the current squad will be here next season", I didn''t think he was including the likes of Godfrey and Thompson in that number.  Clearly he was.

I''m seeing plenty of players leaving but where are the supposed better replacements? I''m getting concerned that this fire sale is going to leave us woefully inexperienced at this level.

Gotta have faith in the system, and the personnel will come in due course. If Klose, Howson and Jerome all leave and are replaced by inexperienced players then I''ll be a bit more concerned, but we''ve known all along we need to get players out before we can get them in. Webber made it work at Huddersfield with a far inferior squad to work with, and Farke worked under one of the most progressive managers in world football in Thomas Tuchel. It could go wrong in a hurry, but the setup is such that if Farke doesn''t deliver, we''ll get in a new head coach who can work within the progressive system and hierarchy.I''d rather place a bit of blind faith in a guy from Dortmund and a technical director who has already torn up this division, than get a quintessentially English manager who favours grit, determination and effort ahead of technique, tactics and selective pressing. Bring it on, I say.

I remember the first year we went back up to the PL and folk were bleating that we needed PL experienced players, or we were doomed.This is a rumour.If Jerome does leave it will be because those in charge deem it soWe have no idea, or never will what money will be involved

No, literally no point in moving him on.

We will not get anyone close to his all round ability as a loan striker for the kind of fee we would get for him. And we''ve moved, and are moving, a significant amount of high earners already.

Regular championship goalscorers aren''t easy to come across and selling him to a rival would be absurd.

If true, I''m starting to get rather concerned. I know that the season is still a fair way off however our promotion squad from only two seasons ago has been totally decimated. Now I know that the relegation season and last season weren''t good enough but can you think of any other team who has completely started again and been immediately successful. CJ brings so much to the team, goals, work rate, passion and he appears to be a great pro, so to even consider selling him to a rival (similar to the Howson situation) could be absolute football suicide. I look forward to being proved wrong.

[quote user="Feedthewolf"]To be fair, I did say £2.5m. And he still misses too many chances for my liking - I''d be happy with Oliveira as our first choice, and then someone who fits Farke''s mould as a backup player/impact sub. Vardy only cost £1m, and while I know he was a one-off, if you put the right player in the right system them his quality - and value - can appreciate incredibly quickly.[/quote]

Look at the prices even half decent strikers are going for, we''d struggle to get someone in even for 2.5m who is odds on to get 15 goals a season.

This would be a really stupid transfer imo. We need two proven strikers, we cant bank on one player staying fit a cruciate injury and we''ll have to right off the season.

[quote user="holt who goes there"]If true, I''m starting to get rather concerned. I know that the season is still a fair way off however our promotion squad from only two seasons ago has been totally decimated. Now I know that the relegation season and last season weren''t good enough but can you think of any other team who has completely started again and been immediately successful. CJ brings so much to the team, goals, work rate, passion and he appears to be a great pro, so to even consider selling him to a rival (similar to the Howson situation) could be absolute football suicide. I look forward to being proved wrong.[/quote]Huddersfield under Webber and Wagner might be a good parallel?

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"][quote user="Feedthewolf"]To be fair, I did say £2.5m. And he still misses too many chances for my liking - I''d be happy with Oliveira as our first choice, and then someone who fits Farke''s mould as a backup player/impact sub. Vardy only cost £1m, and while I know he was a one-off, if you put the right player in the right system them his quality - and value - can appreciate incredibly quickly.[/quote]

Look at the prices even half decent strikers are going for, we''d struggle to get someone in even for 2.5m who is odds on to get 15 goals a season.

This would be a really stupid transfer imo. We need two proven strikers, we cant bank on one player staying fit a cruciate injury and we''ll have to right off the season.[/quote]A loan signing might work - who had heard of Kachunga this time last summer? There is a template here, and while the process won''t be identical, we will be replacing a lot of established players (many of whom are frequently derided on here as ''failures'' or ''part of the problem'') with younger players who have been identified as ideal for working with a certain manager/system. Look at Aaron Mooy - signed on loan, now signed permanently for about £8m - peanuts when you reach the top table.

If there is truth in this and it goes through I''d be looking at a lower mid table finish for us. I just can''t see where the players are coming from within our budget that will have us competing at the top end. I don''t buy into the argument that Webber has done this at Huddersfield and it will repeat here, football isn''t that simplistic and the championship is unforgiving, probably even more so than the PL where better teams can become complacent against weaker opposition. I hope they know what they are doing.

Feed The Wolf, I know and agree there are to be changes, but i think finding a loan signing up top will be alot more difficult (not saying impossible) to replace a proven striker. Whoever comes in has to do the job if we are to be promoted.

We must not forget Huddersfield were in a completely different situation to us (their template at the start was different). They had very different expectations at the beginning of the season. If Kachunga had not worked out the fans wouldnt have thrown the baby out with the bath water in the same way as a club selling a proven striker who are actively aiming at promotion from the off.

As for Mooy, good good player granted but if he''d been a striker who rattled in 25 goals he''d have been 15m+ that''s not peanuts.

Personally, i''d like to see a striker brought in (loan or otherwise), if that player works out fine let Jerome go in the Jan transfer window, but not before. We will easily get that 1.5 for Jerome in January when everyone is desperate.

Of course if things are dire financially, then we''ll all just have to suck it up.

[quote user="Yellowbeagle"]Feed The Wolf, I know and agree there are to be changes, but i think finding a loan signing up top will be alot more difficult (not saying impossible) to replace a proven striker. Whoever comes in has to do the job if we are to be promoted.

We must not forget Huddersfield were in a completely different situation to us (their template at the start was different). They had very different expectations at the beginning of the season. If Kachunga had not worked out the fans wouldnt have thrown the baby out with the bath water in the same way as a club selling a proven striker who are actively aiming at promotion from the off.

As for Mooy, good good player granted but if he''d been a striker who rattled in 25 goals he''d have been 15m+ that''s not peanuts.

Personally, i''d like to see a striker brought in (loan or otherwise), if that player works out fine let Jerome go in the Jan transfer window, but not before. We will easily get that 1.5 for Jerome in January when everyone is desperate.

Of course if things are dire financially, then we''ll all just have to suck it up.[/quote]We will easily get that 1.5 for Jerome in January when everyone is desperate.

And if he is on £20,000 a week it will cost us £12m in wages Great...

We will easily get that 1.5 for Jerome in January when everyone is desperate.

And if he is on £20,000 a week it will cost us £12m in wages

Explain? I''ve got £520,000

I can''t see the argument about his wages here. The loan players wages will also need to be paid and in many cases, especially if it''s a half decent signing there will be a loan fee involved. Madness to move him on at this moment in time

[quote user="Boris Might"]oops, £0.6m in wages[/quote]

Oh well if we''re going to save 600K, best get him sold.

I understand savings have to be made, but gambling with the strike force (one that performs) is very risky.

I really don''t see why we would sell the likes of Howson and Jerome to our rivals. Like others, selling CJ is a step too far for me. To get similar quality is likely going to cost considerably more unless Webber and Farke have a rabbit in the hat. It''s gone from seemingly like a breath of fresh air to actually feeling rather worrying. Hope this isn''t true.

I like Jerome too - but I guess that it is most likely a "style of player" issue - i.e. not fitting into the system that Farke wants to play. If it is possession based as we have been told,  the longer clearance for Cam to run onto may not be the order of the day? More likely want someone else to drop deeper, allowing others to run past him?

If this happens you can kiss any chance of top 6 goodbye next season! I know people are banging on about cutting the wage bill and stuff but if it really is that bad that we need to sell nearly everyone then questions really need answering about why things have been allowed to get like this! And I know people are going to say wait and see who we get to replace them, but do people seriously think we could get a decent striker and pay peanuts in fees and wages?

[quote user=" Badger"]I like Jerome too - but I guess that it is most likely a "style of player" issue - i.e. not fitting into the system that Farke wants to play. If it is possession based as we have been told,  the longer clearance for Cam to run onto may not be the order of the day? More likely want someone else to drop deeper, allowing others to run past him?[/quote]

That may be true, but also the style Farke wants to play may not actually work. Also we just might need to be able to change the way we play to get the result and Jerome will offer that, for the relatively small amount we gain from selling and wages, i''d hold off till Jan where everything will be clearer. Even Klopp at Liverpool has recently had to admit he cant always stick to his principles 100% of the time.

Fulham are not in for Jerome. Their manager has recommended the player to his board as being a potential target. However their director of football has his own agenda in that he will not sanction transfers for any player over the age of 28! Jerome is 31, so I don''t think so! Fulham could well have a new manager or sporting director in place prior to playing NCFC!