Sign in to follow this  
ABC (A Basingstoke Canary)

1.3m, 1.5m or 800k - How much DID we sell Dorrans for?

Conflicting reports tonight - according to Paddy Davitt it was for £800k (after rejecting a derisory offer of £500k??!). However there have been other reports ranging from £1.3m to £1.5m.

Can anyone shed some light on it - and will it be cash up front? (If not, I fear it might end up being for free!)

How about:
£800k up front
Further £500k in instalments over the term of his contract
Further £200k should Rangers qualify for Champions League.
All the reports are therefore correct or, to put it another way, we will never know!

We sold him for peanuts and he will be replaced by someone from the nearest Charity Shop no doubt!

We probably got about as much for him as we could, can''t think of anyone else that was in for him so not much of a bidding war. Decent enough, tidy player but not outstanding at all.I wish him well as he was a solid professional during his time with us, so no tears of joy, or sadness at his departure. I am glad we got some money for him and no longer have to pay his wages. Onwards and Upwards.

In the over inflated world of transfer fees, £800k seems a bit of a joke to me.

If Howson goes for the £5m touted that''s less than £6m recouped on 2 very decent midfielders. Peanuts these days and quite honestly a little embarrassing when you see clubs negotiating fees like £15m for Rodriquez and £18m for Ake.

We will sell him to get rid of his wages. The fee is not really an issue as he isn''t worth that much. I doubt he will choose Wednesday over Rangers.

[quote user="Clint"]In the over inflated world of transfer fees, £800k seems a bit of a joke to me.

If Howson goes for the £5m touted that''s less than £6m recouped on 2 very decent midfielders. Peanuts these days and quite honestly a little embarrassing when you see clubs negotiating fees like £15m for Rodriquez and £18m for Ake.[/quote]You mean the same Rodriguez that hit 15 in 30 for Southampton in the PL before his injury problems, the same Rodriguez that also got an England call-up only to be injured a couple of months later and be out for over a year preventing further caps? The same Rodriguez that Southampton paid 7 mil for from Burnley who were in the Championship at the time? That Rodriguez?Yes, clearly comparable to Howson with his ZERO England caps, complete lack of interest from higher level clubs to pay more than the 2 million we signed him for from Leeds isn''t it...How about Ake, I mean it wasn''t like he was far and away Bournemouth''s best defender whilst on loan from Chelsea was it? Or that he wasn''t just as impressive whilst on loan at Watford the season before, or that he wouldn''t walk into our defence ahead of every other defender we have is it? Ake was already 5-6 mil defender last season and he''s only cemented his ability this season as well. We''ll also ignore his recent call-ups to the Dutch national team in the process shall we? BTW, he''s still only 22...Yet you think that we should be getting more for Dorrans and Howson...just what????

When will people get it into their heads we aren''t premiership anymore, we''re in the same boat as everyone else in the championship!

We''ve already replaced Dorrans with a younger player in Varncic.

£800k is a really poor amount, the clubs negotiating is amateur at best, but it''s ok, as long as Delia and her family get a day out and Toms Christmas present is sorted, "self funding" is a wonderful idea

Obviously a fire sale going on at CR. No big push with the last of the parachute dosh.Looking more and more like a lower mid table finish this season.

Before you went off on one Indy, where in my post did I compare Howson or Dorrans to Rodriguez or Ake? I was simply using them as examples of the over inflated transfer fees being paid.

Rodriguez is 27 has one England cap and has scored a grand total of 26 premier league goals. Ake is 22 and started a total of 30 premier league matches. These players are not worth the fees being paid.

I just think the fees being paid for our players are a on the light side in the current market.

The question to ask is whether Dorrans would get in gn first 11, if the answer to that question is no then we should be wanting to get rid of him, remove the wages, get a fee and move on.

Good business in my view and the same will be said for Howson as long as we get a good value for him.

Unfortunately some fans are still over exciting themselves about transfer feesDorrans had another two years on his contract. Suggest a sum like £20,000 a wek and City are stuck with a £2m liability.Whichever club signs him we are still liable for that £2m.... less whatever his new contract is.So if Rangers offer £10,000 a week we then have to make up the other £10,000 per week for two years.(Feel free to move all wages around)This then might be reported as Rangers paying £1m for Dorrans, just as our buying out his contract from West Brom was put down as a £3m feeThat''s how it is. Media sources just guess or regurgitate what they are told where it suits someone''s interest - but it doesn''t mean they are trueAs said we will never know. Nor will we know what was in Dorran''s contract when he joined and what will be in it when he leaves.However if you have the mindset of someone who believes in astrology, bookies tips and other similar mumbo jumbo then I don''t doubt you will still overexcite yourself whatever the case is.

We''re always being told that we need to bring in Players better than what we have or better than those being replaced.

I can''t see how we will purchase a better Player than Scottish International Dorrens for £800,000 and whether all the Howson cash will be used on other quality Players better than Howson.

None of us can really judge until the Transfer Window closes but it''s becoming increasingly worrying.

If the worse case scenario occurs I wonder if I could negotiate a reduction on my S/T.....lol!

[quote user="Clint"]Before you went off on one Indy, where in my post did I compare Howson or Dorrans to Rodriguez or Ake?I was simply using them as examples of the over inflated transfer fees being paid.

Rodriguez is 27 has one England cap and has scored a grand total of 26 premier league goals. Ake is 22 and started a total of 30 premier league matches. These players are not worth the fees being paid.

I just think the fees being paid for our players are a on the light side in the current market.[/quote]How are they not worth the fees in the current market???A fit and on-form Rodriguez is easily a 12-15 goal a season striker, and bearing in mind that only 18 players hit over double figures last season, what price do you put on that sort of ability? I''d argue that if he does regain his form and previous level to some degree, he''ll probably have been worth double the 12mil WBA have paid for him, but the big question mark is over his fitness and injury history which is the gamble WBA are willing to take for what he could offer them.Ake is somewhat different in that they''re paying for not just his current good ability level, but his potential longer term ability as well. We need to recognise that Ake was performing well in the PL for 2 separate clubs aged just 20/21 and there''s no sign he''s hit his level, and indeed his Dutch call-up''s suggest there''s far more to come from him, so again, what do you pay for a potential top level PL defender with his best years ahead of him? Don''t forget that Leeds paid 18 mil for Ferdinand SEVENTEEN years ago, and Man Utd increased this to 34 mil within a further 2 years!Do I think the current transfer fees are getting out of hand - absolutely, but you have to either go with the market or gamble on more unknown or risky player options if you don''t.As for Dorrans and Howson, I''d argue that 5mil is in the right sort of ball park for Howson considering the contract situation, wages and inconsistency he has in terms of helping control a game, maybe Dorrans at 800k is a tad low (although rumours suggest that this is the initial cost, with add-ons and similar taking it up to 1.5mil) as he''s not a bad player by any means, but again he hasn''t been able to establish himself either with us (or WBA for that matter), and if it means we''re not paying a 20k+ a week wage bill for a squad player, then we have to look at the overall picture rather than fixate on the transfer fee alone.

"“Basic income” would be an amount sufficient to secure basic needs as a permanent earnings floor no one could fall beneath"I doubt Rangers will be able to take on his current wages with us - so who makes up the difference /

Boris Might wrote:

"I doubt Rangers will be able to take on his current wages with us - so who makes up the difference"

I sincerely doubt that we would sell any player - especially with the privilege of being able to pay half their wages for the next 2 years.

If, and it is a big if, that was the situation and say Sheff Weds came in for him, and say he scored a winning goal against us. Do you think the management, let alone the fans, would sanction that?

BTW If he so desperately wants to play for Rangers, and wages are an issue, then he will have to cut his cloth accordingly. He / his agent doesn''t hold all the cards on this one - he is at a stage of life where he will need to be playing regularly - we have a few cards of our own that we could play if necessary.

Indy "When will people get it into their heads we aren''t premiership anymore, we''re in the same boat as everyone else in the championship!"

Exactly this. We''re not PL anymore, and the Champ is becoming more and more competitive. We have to cut the cloth accordingly now. And from what I''ve seen so far we''ve be doing tidy bits n pieces of business planning for the future if we don''t make it to the PL this season.

Bit disappointed by this - Dorrans was one of few positives last season and he''s certainly worth more than what Rangers paid. That said, if we have other targets in mind, and I assume Dorrans was on a reasonably ''healthy'' wage here, then it would make sense if he wanted to go as it balances our books.

It does leave us a little light there now with the exit of Mulumbu too, if Howson goes as well we literally have Vrančić and Tettey with Thompson (and possibly Godfrey) as reserves and last season Tettey couldn''t play every week.

Still a long way to go AJ. Look at it on paper, Vrancic, Thompson and Tettey doesn''t look too bad really. Especially given we don''t know what our setup will finally look like.

We''re far from light in midfield, we also have to try and squeeze in Wes, Pritchard, Maddison and Naismith in to the ones stated and that''s assuming Howson is definitely off of course.

Suspect if he wants ball retention that one of those 4 is guaranteed to play which just leaves one of the ones stated as the partner, that''s more than enough in terms of numbers.

True, a midfield 3 of Pritchard Wes/Naismith Murphy with one of Tettey or Vrančić in DM does look pretty good. Will be interesting to see our set-up tonight.

I think we have more important areas to focus on, centre half and left back and another striker or 2 if CJ does in fact go.

Bearing in mind what Webber said about squad size we still seem to be heavy on numbers though so expect more to go!!

If I was a betting man, Andreu and McGovern will be off to Preston as they seemed to be ones that Neil liked/chose and neither of which will cost Preston much to get from us.

Would still be surprised if Klose is still hear at the end of the window

I think for poor Dec it''s probably going to end up that way unfortunately.

Neil clearly didn''t rate him enough to keep him here and brought in McGovern without giving Dec a chance, what have changed since, I suspect nothing!!!