Sign in to follow this  
If wed only kept Howie..

Leeds "must pay £5m for Jonny Howson"

Hang on is this the same Boro team who the die hard rose tinted specs told us were 100 million in debt and wouldn''t have a penny to spend! Well I have to say how dare they bid with no money!

They have parachute payments for three years. Undoubtedly they will sell some of their high earners as well. Howson I shall miss. Always the model professional and scored some memorable goals. However time moves on. he wanted away and if he goes to M''boro then I sure that is nearer to his original home that being at Norwich. Perhaps time for some to get behind the club instead of endlessly griping.

Selling him to Middlesbrough for what is reported to be a pretty pathetic fee is a high risk move in my opinion. Forget all the cr*p about him wanting to move closer to home, all spin to justify the sale because we are so desperate to cash in.

I think it''s absolute lunacy to sell him to a rival for £5m. Hardly a show of real ambition from the club if he does go. There are other, perfectly sellable players I would get rid of before Howson especially with dorrans likely going too. Really don''t see how in today''s market he is only £5m nor how a prem team doesn''t come in for him if we are willing to offload him for even near that sort of fee. He''s slot nicely in most premiership squads.

Don''t they only get 2 years, Carrow89, as they got relegated after a year? That''s the reason we''ve only got 2 years.

No it was because we went down then up again and then down again that we only got 2 years. Boro will get three years although their parachute payments will be a bit lower each year than ours because we got a year less.

Boro will only get 2 years of parachute payments. Only teams who have been in the Prem for more than 1 season consecutively will get 3 years worth of payments.

So Sunderland are set for 3 years, Hull and Boro are set for 2 years.

The pinkun story is saying he''s refused to sign a new contract.  And I''d guess he''s one of our higher earners.  So it''s a case of whether the new regime think he''s worth keeping and accepting we''ll get less (if anything) if we sell him in future, because he''ll be older and have less time remaining on his contract.

I''ve always found him a frustrating player.  He can be superb e.g. when he scored the winner at Man City away after waltzing past several of their top quality players.  But then often you watch a game and you realist you''ve hardly noticed whether he''s playing.

We''ve had numerous players blasted for being part of a side that''s been relegated twice in the past few seasons, notably the likes of Bassong, Martin, Whittaker and Tettey, but yet apparently we can ignore all of this in the case of Howson.Why are fans unwilling to see that he''s also played a part in our recent failures, and that whilst he''s a good player when on-form and firing, we simply don''t see it often enough, and for a guy who was Leeds captain, I don''t regularly and consistently see this reflected in his manner on the pitch either.What''s even more amusing is that nobody seems to really know where his best position is, or how this might fit into the new structure being introduced by Farke, yet apparently he''s suddenly a 10 mil+ player and we''re mad to even think about selling him and somehow he''d be a consistent starter in most decent premier league teams...I''d personally be more disappointed to lose any of Jerome, Nelson, the Murphy''s, Pritchard or Maddison before we even get close to thinking about Howson!

@ Indy Bones - I think people are more concerned with selling him to a "promotion rival" than the amounts bandied around for him.

If we''re having to sell to buy then around 5-6 mill for Howson is fine by me in consideration of all your points.

We paid more for a part time Everton player who''s much worse!

I get where you''re coming from IB, but Howson has been consistently like Wes our best player through the years. Both Wes and Howson are by far the best we have. Wes is now at an age he might not see as many games as he has and Howson wants out after 5 years here so be it.

I do agree we must keep both Jerome & Oliviera as both will bang in goals at this level, as for the youngsters we must build round Thompson, Maddison, Pritchard, Murphy''s this season a no brainier for me.

Transfer fees aren''t only determined by a player''s ability.

Hopefully now Burnley have just received £30m they will feel like making a bid for Howson also, which should drive up the price and mean he won''t be going to a rival.

I get the arguments for selling and keeping Howson and feel many here are guilty of under and over playing his importance to the club. I would say he has consistently been one of the top 3 players at Norwich every season he has played here so is obviously a big part of the team. Losing him would obviously be reducing the quality of the first team unless a sufficient replacement can be found.

This is the crux of this moment in time for Norwich. It is all about Webber having faith that he can replace players such as Dorrans/Howson/Klose et al with players of equal or better quality for a lower transfer fee and lower wages.

Personally the business done with minimal outlay looks good so far (Vrancic is certainly a better player than Dorrans and maybe even Howson). I''d love to see what Webber could pull out of the bag with a few million to spend.

IMO Howson is a little bit like Adam Drury you always expect a 7/10 type of performance and then every now and then a 8 or 9 shows up.

He has good energy and technically I think he is as good as anybody we have but he isn''t irreplaceable and if he doesn''t want to commit his future here (ie extend his current contract) then we have a decision to make and if loading him for 5-7.5 million gives us the money to attract 2 or 3 other players here then it has to be considered good business for all concerned. I''m sure he will make some kind of impact at whatever club he goes to but it really wouldn''t worry me massively if he ended up at one of our championship rivals.

I expect Burnley to make some pretty decent bids for Champs players now they have sold Keane for stupid money - hopefully one of them will be for Howson.

I doubt that £5m will get him. Webber has shown already that he is an emotionless valuer of assets and has no interest in sentimentality. Bennett has gone to a rival. As has Rudd (mark my words - Preston will be up there next season). Ruddy could end up at Villa - what a spine that gives them, with JT in front of JR; that makes them next seasons Newcastle.

Howson going to a rival won''t even come into his mind - if he gets what he thinks Howson is worth, and he knows he can get a better player for the current outlay.

Everyone''s concern is still the defence and we have done little work there so far, apart from secure Martin. He needs two more defenders as a minimum and he may well need the £1.5m for Dorrans and the £5m for Howson to get them.

If he does that by the end of this month we''ll be in good shape.

[quote user="norfolkngood"]I would not rule out Aston Villa or Burnley[/quote]

i heard it and said last week do not rule Burnley out now they have got the money from Keane

Burnley have been keeping tabs on Howson transfer is he their top target i doubt it but is on their list

Not happy about this deal. I can live with selling Howson this summer but not at this price and not to this buyer. What makes it worse is that we are so desperate for cash that we have basically manufactured the transfer and smeared the player in the process by making out he wants to leave.

The money had better be reinvested in two or three decent defensive players.

Jim Smith,

How do you know this is some smear against the player? The story seems quite consistent that Norwich offered him a new deal and he turned it down because he would like to leave.

Why are you adamant this isn''t true?

Howson and Dorrans both decent players, but at their ages now is the last chance to get some reasonable funds to reinvest and will open the door to Maddison, Murphy(2), Pritchard, Thompson, Godfrey, Vrancic, Watkins - and a different style of football, probably not suited to those two. Note haven''t included Wildschut, also likely to be moved on.

Bethnal

Where has there been any quote or statement from the player himself (or his agent) indicating that he wants to leave? These "consistent stories" all flow from the one initial Archant article a few weeks ago so you''d better ask Paddy and Co who their source was for that article and the rumour that Howson wants to move back up north.

As for the extended contract offer well we may or may not have offered him an extension but given his current contract expires in 2 years time and in a post parachute payment world there is no way we will have offered an extended contract on anything like the terms he''s on now (probably be lucky if its half the same wages) is there so him not accepting it at this point in time was inevitable - conveniently then giving an excuse to sell him on the basis he "won''t sign an extended contract."

But equally doesn''t that just mean he''s now on wages we won''t be able to afford after parachute payments end ?  So we may have offered him a contract extension on lower wages, and he then has to decide whether he stays with us, or looks for another club to get more money.  And we then have the choice of selling him now, or waiting and getting less if anything in a year''s time.  I''m not really sure how that''s "conveniently giving an excuse" for the club to look to sell, it''s just the reality of the situation we''re in, having wasted last season.

given our wages budget falls off a cliff to £13m next season if we don''t go up, I suspect there are quite a few players who''ve been with us some time that we won''t realistically be able to afford.

Yes - ICF in essence that is what we have. A choice between selling him now or keeping him for another season at the end of which we may either have to accept slightly less for him or may alternatively be in a position to offer him a new contract if we''ve got promoted.

That''s fine. But the leak to the press was basically along the lines of us being forced to sell because he won''t sign a new contract and wants to move.

You have to ask yourself if we can replace him for £5M,

For me absolutely not.

Hes still got a big part to play in getting us back to the Premier League, then he can go.

I''ve always read it like he was offered a new deal as an extension of his current one, but replied that he planned to return north at the end of his current deal so wouldn''t take it on.

From the clubs point of view, he''ll be over 30, leaving for free and still on high wages for a year if we don''t go up this year with very little value in his fee at that point. So we told him we would move him on.

Jim Smith,

While I''m not saying I 100% believe the ''Howson wants to move up north'' line. It doesn''t mean, as you are asserting very confidently, that it isn''t true.

Archant don''t normally make up stories and while they aren''t always first to the scoop, they are generally pretty accurate in their output - I certainly see no reason to not believe them.

Not seeing quotes from Howson about wanting to leave is entirely normal. You very rarely see such quotes from players, especially if they aren''t on international duty and being quizzed regularly about their future, like Naismith has been recently.

Bethnal

i''m not saying that Archant have made it up, they''ve no doubt got it via sources at the club that they are entitled to rely on. i''m saying that the club put this information/rumour into the public domain via Archant in order to soften up the fans for the sale/prevent too much of a backlash. I don''t believe that Howson has pushed for this move at all.

Whether or not he''s happy to move now he knows we want to sell and if the club accepts bids is a different matter.