Sign in to follow this  
Dean Coneys boots

Is the board holding the club back?

The board have got off very lightly in the last few seasons. To my mind they are holding the club back.

1. By refusing to accept that football is a global brand in 2017 and stubbornly running the club on a regional model.

2. By refusing to find external funding in a league in which it is becoming normal not exceptional. This is now clearly costing us as we witness the sale of our best players for cut down prices to balance books and the addition of what are, on paper, L1 replacements. Surely even the most positive can see that it is a gamble?

3. By having totally squandered opportunity. We played the majority of the last few seasons in the top tier- but where other clubs pushed on (Palace, Soton, Watford, etc) we blew it. Our spend was consistently in the bottom three and our manager an untested rookie. Factor in the refusal to deal with a failing defence...(and again RM gets golden boy treatment) and the failure is epic.

4. The whole new way of doing it saga. Lets be honest- this is a smokescreen to make people less unforgiving as cloth is cut considerably. We are not aiming at promotion but consolidation in this league and, if there is no investment found, we will soon be lower half not top half.

5. Nepotism. For me the whole Nephew Tom saga was a turning point. What has he done to merit being handed the club? What has he put in?

Yes it is a moan - and doubtless the clappers will be at my throat - but I really love the club and fear it is being strangled by a board that has passed its sell buy date but is digging in its heels and refusing to move aside and let others take the club forward.

The need for fresh air is overwhelming. Am I alone in this feeling?

Yes.

Look at how other clubs are overtaking us. We will struggle to compete against more and more clubs at champ level under our ownership model.

"4. The whole new way of doing it saga. Lets be honest- this is a

smokescreen to make people less unforgiving as cloth is cut

considerably. We are not aiming at promotion but consolidation in this

league and, if there is no investment found, we will soon be lower half

not top half.

"
absolute shyte ! ! !the new way is nothing more than upgrading the coaching set up to reflect the growing investment in the youth set upCloth has to be cut accordingly. Our income drops by £30m a season next June. That is a fact and no amount of whinging from you will change that"consolidation" meaningless old ball cocks, apart from top three, bottom three all teams start on nil points each season, there is no ratchett And I would doubt that Webster, Farke et al would have come here if the club were anything like the nonsense you have spouted

If you don''t like it i suggest supporting another club. I don''t give a rats backside if you''ve supported our club for 20/30/40 years!

Simple! Bore off!

If you have supported the club as long as you suggest, and seen and witnessed the actual hard times through South and Chase to mention but two, you wouldn''t be spouting such crap.

We are embracing the modern game with a modern set up and coach. Answer me this, do you actually prefer the English way of coaching, mundane backwards and sideways passing football with no end result, or the modern European coaching style of high tempo, high pressing attacking football!?

It isn''t the style but the quality that this post is questiining. And whilst the Chase era was awful, it was short lived. He didn''t sit and fossilise as football surged forwards.

Look I don''t doubt the board want what is best for the club but I do think they are closed to any but themselves delivering it- and there is the rub. So yes I am quite used to the ups and downs of following NCFC but that doesn''t mean putting up with whatever the board throws at us, especially when one feels they might be the problem not the solution these days...

I remain happy with the new direction the club has taken and seem more optimistic than many about the outcome of the coming season.

However, if we fail and we face Championship football for a third consecutive season and aspirations of reaching the promised land become more remote then it would not be beyond the bounds of possibility that I find myself in full accord with the OP.

It would seem fairly obvious that we are more likely to slip into Championship mediocrity under the current owners than we would with some new and more financially endowed "owner", and I would likely favour risking the latter. WHOEVER THAT MIGHT BE AND WHATEVER DANGERS THAT MIGHT INVOLVE.

The Delia Smith model would seem destined to become more and more detrimental to the future of NCFC in terms of acquiring the highest possible league status available to any club with any speck of ambition.

Yes

Football is run by money, if the club continues with the (laughable) "self funding" moto, then the best players will have to be sold just to pay wages! This is going to turn very sour on Delia and the joke idea of the nephew

[quote user="City 2nd"]If you have supported the club as long as you suggest, and seen and witnessed the actual hard times through South and Chase to mention but two, you wouldn''t be spouting such crap.

We are embracing the modern game with a modern set up and coach. Answer me this, do you actually prefer the English way of coaching, mundane backwards and sideways passing football with no end result, or the modern European coaching style of high tempo, high pressing attacking football!?[/quote]

The modern game requires money...

With an edit button I could have added that it would seem more reasonable to give it two more seasons as long as the new regime, the team and the youngsters were exhibiting a genuine and exciting indication that they were destined for better things.

Yes. And if we are not promoted this season it''s likely to be back to the struggling in the championship days. Wolves are about to spend £15 million on a player, this is the reality of modern day football and they can''t compete with that

[quote user="BroadstairsR"]With an edit button I could have added that it would seem more reasonable to give it two more seasons as long as the new regime, the team and the youngsters were exhibiting a genuine and exciting indication that they were destined for better things.[/quote]

Once these parachute payments are over, what funds will pay next seasons wages? These owners need a reality check. It''s not going to be a family club when they are selling all the decent players to keep it afloat, it''s going to be selfish

Without doubt they are, especially by not looking for outside investment when all we hear is how they are the poorest owners in the division as so many people say.

Interesting post, one that is hard to disagree with.

Everybody (almost) loves Delia, but the level of finance is simply not enough in the Championship. There are about 10 other teams (if not more) who can simply outspend us - of course that means that not all teams will be successful and get promotion as well.

Another thing I found interesting- the people that disagreed with you. Not 1 person put up a reason why you were wrong. I would love to have heard why they think the current Board is NOT holding us back. It''s easy to say no, or yawn etc, but at least put up a counter argument

There is something akin to a cult surrounding Delia and MWJ Highland. People have been brainwashed.

I think the point about my post stirring anger but no reasonable counter argument is interesting.

And I love the point about the ambition of some matching the input of the board. My point exactly.

We can all see the charm of a local self funding model, it is lovely, but it isn''t going to cut it and that is why we slide backwards and always fail to make the step up on gaining promotion.

Like it or hate it- football is now a big boys game requiring serious funds. Hence the board is holding us back because they wont let anyone else in and cannot compete with those around them.

[quote user="lharman7"]Dropkicks from the south high jacking the forum again![/quote]

Your contributions to this thread have been particularly constructive. Why should fans not aspire to more?

I would rather delight in a little whine than be the sort who rolls over and never questions.

If I ever set up a shop do please come and visit. I would delight in people who like being short changed...

Well, it''s not the board. We''ve seen with Tony Fernandes at QPR and Vincent Tan at Cardiff (and arguably Tony Xia at Villa), that people who plough large sums of money in just get ripped off by smart agents.The problem''s that the player scouting and recruitment has been utter crap for years. It worked under the Lambert era, but only because he was signing players who had played well against his teams. We appointed people like Ewan Chester, Barrie Simmonds, Lee Darnborough

and Tony Spearing, all who had a pedigree and experience at other clubs, yet delivered nothing here.You''re comparing us to Southampton, yet Southampton''s youth academy has sold over £100 million of youth talent in Walcott, Bale, Oxlade Chamberlain, Luke Shaw, Chambers  (and Schneiderlein) and then factor in sales like Lovren. Jacob Murphy''s the first Premiership level player we''ve produced since Jason Shackell, and in terms of true top class talent, Craig Bellamy was nearly twenty years agoWe''ve bought too many Premier League cast-offs Naimsith, Mulumbu, Bassong, Dorrans, Jarvis, Jerome with mixed results. But you''re not going to match or pass established Premier League teams like that. For overseas players, the only decent player we signed in the last ten years was Tettey.At least someone (Balls?) has finally realised what the main issue is. It''s just a pity that we didn''t appoint Stuart Webber two years ago, when we had some money left.

Jim Smith wrote the following post at 05/07/2017 3:24 PM:

Dropkicks from the south high jacking the forum again!

Your contributions to this thread have been particularly constructive. Why should fans not aspire to more?

You will not get a constructive response as this pathetic attack on our owners doesn''t deserve one. After all you just can''t argue with stupid.

Our budget last season was more than enough to get promoted last season; that we didn''t get close shows mistakes were made, but more in the use of the budget than the money itself.

Last season the only way the board may have held us back is in not sacking Neil sooner - but I doubt that would have changed the outcome of another season of championship football.