Sign in to follow this  
Fuzzar

The Murphys

I''ve got two kidneys and am very fond of both of them. They perform a similar role and are ticking along nicely.

But I could probably manage with just the one.

With this in mind, if selling one brought in some much needed rebuilding cash which Murphy twin would you let go?

Looking forward to the day when they are both first on the team sheet, which means they will both have fufilled their potential and be causing mayhem every week.  Imagine fully functioning Murphys on either side with Pritchard in between them and Oliveira up front. Mouth watering prospect.

Of course, the flip side is a Chelsea style 3-4-3 where they don''t have to worry about that side of their game as much by playing as the front 2 wise players

That would require a huge rebuild though and doesn''t leave room for Pritchard, unless you risk him as CM

We wont be letting our Murphys go anywhere, they''ve just signed long new contracts and love it here.

Two of our own

Always the potential to deviously swap players by switching the shirt without using one of our substitutions. If we could get two more sets of twins like this we could overrun the league without being on steroids.

11 posts on a thread containing several references to multiple Murphys and not one misplaced apostrophe. Am I on the right site here?

[quote user="Chip20"]11 posts on a thread containing several references to multiple Murphys and not one misplaced apostrophe. Am I on the right site here?[/quote]That''ll be Murphys'' law at work. [;)]

Pacey, flying wingers with a good shot on them. Not much footballing intelligence or nous yet, so unless this changes or we want to be very open defensively, can''t see both in the same team.

I wouldn''t be completely opposed to the idea of selling Jacob and loaning him back for the season, a la the supposed Liverpool interest (when £6m was mentioned) earlier in the year

If Liverpool sold Ibe to Bournemouth for £15million, then they should pay a similar fee for Murphy (if we were to sell)

In terms of contribution to goals this season- so scored and assisted- Jacob M. is only behind what Redmond achieved for us in a promotion-winning side by 2, in 7 less appearances.

With Redmond being sold at £11mil, which was generally considered to be a little cheap at the time, added to the ever-increasing riches available to the higher leagues, there''s absolutely no reason for Webber & Co to get out of bed for less than an 8-figure sum.

Josh also has 18 goals + assists to his name this year, albeit with only half of those in the league. Regardless, we shouldn''t be undervaluing two players who at 22 can only get better.

£6m??!? Double that and add a bit more.

Incidentally Josh was excellent yesterday- was my man of the match.

Josh has really come on since Irvine took over. Feel it has illustrated how Neil overplayed Jacob and underplayed Josh to the detriment of both players really. Josh should have had more game time once his confidence was up after he scored at Everton.

Exciting to think what they both may achieve next season with a full year at first team level now under their belts.

Its strange that at the start of the season Jacob seemed so much further ahead than Josh, in some ways he still his. He certainly seems to make a bigger impact when on top of his game.

At the same time, I now think Josh is a more ''complete'' player that offers more to the team consistently.

Yet I still don''t think we can afford to play both in the same team...

I''d like to see them given a go together but I can see the concern. Jacob and Josh flanking Pritchard would be great to watch though.

Josh had a blinding first 20 minutes yesterday, ripped their right back apart 3 times and was unfortunate not to score. Sadly, I can''t see a way of playing both of them plus Pritchard and/or Wes/Naismith.

Well Id hope to see some rotation next season - Wes has proved this season that he can play in a wider role if needed.

If we can work on the Murphys defensive side then they good work together.

There is a formation in which they could both be played, the christmas tree formation 4321, with them being the "2".  It would mean a more defensive midfield 3 which would mean no Wes or Pritchard, but could be an effective formation for away games or for some situatuons late in games where they could both be on the pitch at the same time afters subs being made.              

Did well, thought a lot of his jinking runs were a little bit unnecessary though and came to naught but I''d being a touch harsh. Still needs to beef up for next season against more robust opposition but his pace and interplay with Pritchard just keeps on coming - same with him and Djiks.

IF we''re properly set up and not asking our fullbacks to constantly bomb forward (which to be fair, we''ve improved at under Irvine) there''s no reason they couldn''t both play. Issue is they''d need to offer more than either a Wes or Pritchard to get a start ahead of one of them.

I think Josh has really benefited from his run in the team. But we shouldn''t forget some of Jacobs games which have also been very, very good.