Sign in to follow this  

Blowers

So Hoveton''s finest Henry Blofeld is taking of his box for the last time in September. Such an eccentric character as was Jonners and so perfect for TMS.
Perhaps Delia can persuade him to join the board. Or at least announce the dear old things out onto the pitch each game.

[quote user="keelansgrandad"]So Hoveton''s finest Henry Blofeld is taking of his box for the last time in September. Such an eccentric character as was Jonners and so perfect for TMS.
Perhaps Delia can persuade him to join the board. Or at least announce the dear old things out onto the pitch each game.
[/quote]" and my word, there''s some pigeons just landed next to the Main Stand as Hoolahan steps up to take in penaltyin he comes, the ball flies to the right side, the keeper pushes in onto the postand in it goes, City have scoredand one pigeon struts majestically along the touchline, for all the world as if he had scoredquite splendid "

Over the years I have come to the conclusion that I am more of a fan of TMS than of the actual cricket, and that is largely thanks to Blowers. Aggers, Tuffers et al are great, but I am going to miss the olde English waffling about cranes and pigeons. Hopefully he has a good, long retirement[Y]

Blowers is that last of the old guardBoycott has replaced Truman as the ignorant northerner to be mocked, but it is not the same.Often it was quite clear that one of the summarises had enjoyed rather a ''fulsome lunch'' and would be showing in his commentsThe cricket itself was all too often a necessary, but unwelcome. intrusion in the conversation - that did involve talk of the cakes that had been sent in. One of which whispers had it contained some ingredient that might be better found in a cake bought at Glastonbury. Oh how we laughed ... as did they.Nothing lasts for ever and I am glad I was around to hear themAnd whenever a red bus is spotted heading up the road TMS will stay as it was

"And whenever a red bus is spotted heading up the road TMS will stay as it was"

What a badly composed example of modern poetry.

Shame on you!

[quote user="Midlands Yellow"]They all compliment each other so well on TMS and Boycott is an important part .[/quote]Aye, that he is. Yes he annoys the hell out of me at times, but he is like a panto villain, stirring up trouble and stopping the listener from getting too comfortable. Good sense of humour and is capable of taking and recieving the mickey.

I went to a function several years ago now where Freddie Trueman was the after dinner speaker. He had everybody asleep within about ten minutes. Boring and dull did not begin to cover it and it was all me,me,me. To listen to him you would never think he was never hit for four and i am sure he thought the world ended north of Skipton and south of Barnsley.

[quote user="Herman"][quote user="Midlands Yellow"]They all compliment each other so well on TMS and Boycott is an important part .[/quote]Aye, that he is. Yes he annoys the hell out of me at times, but he is like a panto villain, stirring up trouble and stopping the listener from getting too comfortable. Good sense of humour and is capable of taking and recieving the mickey.[/quote]He does talk sense when talking cricket, it''s just the way he puts it overListening to TMS the other summer he had clearly irritated Aggers was openly deriding him and you could hear Boycott ranting away down the corridor (?) in the sky commentary box about the same ''bete noir'' in that match.On the google box, Benaud looked like a Thunderbirds puppet as his eye slid round and he would utter those immortal words "marvellous effort that"And yes Trueman was a boring git. No sense of humour or self deprecation either. One morning he was muttering away that he had been sent a letter asking if he could help some charity. the idea was that this charity helped those who had been physically affected by drink, and part of that campaign was to take round with them some poor wretch who showed all the symptoms of that suffering. Would Fred be willing to play that part ?He spent most of that morning being wound up by the others, with all the good humour of someone finding a dirty toenail in the bottom of their pint.

Used to watch Blowers opening the batting for Norfolk at Lakenham. He wasn''t the outstanding first-class or even Test player he had been expected to be, due to a near-fatal accident when a teenager. As a commentator, beneath the flights of fancy, he knew his cricket.

Truman was very old school, even in his younger years.

I remember when Derek Pringle made his England debut and Freddie was initially full of praise for "this strapping lad" who could both bat and bowl.

Suddenly he noticed Pringle''s unique appendage and was truly aghast.

"He''s got an EARING in his ear" ( and it was probably "a bloody earing" off mike.)

Praise for the player was more limited after that.

John Arlott was amongst the best.

Although a friend of Umpire Dickie Bird he took great delight in poking fun at his various mannerisms whereby, amongst other things, a hit for four was signalled with thirty seconds of semaphore.

Bird had a reputation for taking the players off at the slightest thing, including glare in the batsman''s eyes from the pavilion windows, bad light and of course rain. He was also a bit of an actor who seemed to enjoy the limelight.

One test match day ( against Pakistan) was continually interrupted by heavy showers and Dickie was in his element.

Each withdrawal heralded a performance.

When the umpires came out for one of the many prolonged and intense pitch inspections after a shower Arlott''s frustration finally got the better of him:

"Is all this time wasting necessary?" he moaned in his usual slowish drawl. "Now we have to put up with the main cause of it Umpire Bird pondering a pile of mud with all the aplomb of a Shakespearean actor."

Agnew took quite a while to bed in and was in no small measure helped by Henry and Johnners. Michael Vaughan has impressed me of late, very calm and talks sense .

A cousin in Yorkshire basically hired Trueman to front his business. The relationship didn''t last long. Apart from me, me, me he was just rude and beligerent. (Nigel Mansell is the new Trueman).
TMS is the jewel in BBC Radio''s (along with Pop Master on R2) diminishing crown. The newer broadcasters are good but I will yearn for the eccentricity of the old guys.
The modern broadcaster may be technically superior but the Wolstenholmes, Walkers, Johnsons, Benauds, Arlotts, Blofelds, Longhurst, Allises were just like listening to someone sat next to you.

I heard a bit of Andy Zaltzman during the one-day games. Is he a regular addition to the TMS staff? I quite like him if so.

I haven''t listened to TMS in years but I''ve seen a tweet this morning from John Mulvey (music journo) suggesting that Blowers had become a self-parody in recent times. Anyone concur?

No.
It is just his natural way. The innocence that used to belong to cricket when there were gentlemen and players.

Shouldn''t you fans of TMS adapt your user names to properly reflect your devotion? I''m now looking forward to reading posts by Hermers, Mr Angers, Keelers, Purplers and others! 

[quote user="westcoastcanary"]Shouldn''t you fans of TMS adapt your user names to properly reflect your devotion? I''m now looking forward to reading posts by Hermers, Mr Angers, Keelers, Purplers and others! [/quote]Well my real name is Badg [;)]

[quote user="Mr Angry"]I haven''t listened to TMS in years but I''ve seen a tweet this morning from John Mulvey (music journo) suggesting that Blowers had become a self-parody in recent times. Anyone concur?[/quote]with others of his age/type having passed on his mannerisms perhaps stand out all the more, and maybe he realises it''s better to go while he''s still at the topnothing lasts forever and it is best to enjoy stuff at the time

[quote user=" Badger"][quote user="westcoastcanary"]Shouldn''t you fans of TMS adapt your user names to properly reflect your devotion? I''m now looking forward to reading posts by Hermers, Mr Angers, Keelers, Purplers and others! [/quote]Well my real name is Badg [;)][/quote] [:D] By the way, where''s Nutters? Perfect for a TMS aficionado! [;)]

I think that really is the end of an era. I don''t think we will ever have the same affection for TMS anymore.

Both the late Brian Johnson and Blowers were the eccentric schoolboy humoured relics of a bygone age and I will miss them.

TIL 1010 wrote the following post at 24/06/2017 7:24 PM:

.........To listen to him you would never think he was never hit for four.......

So he did admit to being hit for four then.