Sign in to follow this  
greenwichcanary

Reminiscent to 2005/06 season

Have said for a long time now but this season really reminds me of the 05/06 season under worthy.

Back then the squad was definitely weaker yes we had Ashton huckerby mckenzie green but we also had Jurgen Colin, peter Thorne etc etc. But to the point we were still expected to well back in that season, home form was ok but away form was dire. We got pasted at teams like Luton, qpr and reading away and at home whilst we beat average teams concincingly any half decent team put in front of us would easily beat us away. Worthy should have been gone in autumn but we''d get the odd good result we''d give him more time and we were out of play off race by March majority knew worthy should have gone but board decided to give him more time. Next season came along same old story and he was gone after that horror show against Burnley. Unfortunately rot had set in deeply and it took us 3 more years and relegation to league 1 to recover.

Now read the above and compare it to this season and I see similarities. Good wins against poor teams, trouncings away to play off teams, losses away to crap sides like burton and Rotherham, manager clearly incompetent and not supported by players or supporters. But I actually think this season has been worse. Squad has far more quality on paper and cost far more than back then and the defeats have been shocking. I''ve been to some bad away games in my time as most Norwich fans will have done but my 3 worst have been this season. 5-0 to Brighton was dire, then losing 2-1 to a Rotherham team with 3 wins all season was bad. But honestly my worst away day supporting Norwich was burton. Team that day cost in excess of 31 million and we lose to a team costing half a million if that I suspect

My point is I worry that the same is happening now and the decision to keep an is going to once again set us back light years in a game that is even more competitive and money orientated than 10 years ago. As a club we just never ever learn from mistakes

That''s a very interesting comparison and indeed there are some alarming similarities but I think part of the the reason ''we never learn from mistakes'' is that despite the similarities the situations are rarely exactly the same, so its not always obvious what is the correct lesson to draw and fans tend to default to the quick and easy ''sack the manager'' approach.With regards to Worthington I completely agree that we took far too long to part company. But then look at Hughton and many wanted him gone much more quickly but there''s also a case to make to say we acted too quickly and he would have kept us up. Maybe, probably not, but whereas Worthy was clearly out of his depth I don''t think Hughton was and despite the lambasting that he got in his second season at Carrow Road his track record in management shows clearly that he is a very competent manager. So even if we went down with him he would have probably taken us straight back up. AN''s track record is much shorter and a bit mixed but again it is clearly not one of incompetence so why are we where we are? I''m not suggesting AN is not partially culpable, but we have been quite unlucky with injuries this year and also some truly appalling referees - I''ve never believed the old ''they even out over the season'' or ''you make your luck'' cliches.Some seasons you get the breaks but this year they''ve nearly all gone against us.But I think what Hughton and AN share is that in both cases the players bear a big share of the responsibility. Its only one game but its the one that everybody is screaming about tonight - AN picked the right team today IMO, and I''m guessing that he sent them out with a decent plan that didn''t include his keeper racing right outside the penalty area to pass the ball to a Wednesday player to shoot into an open goal when he could have knocked it straight out to safety two or three yards away. So the bit I don''t get is that the fans see that as AN being incompetant rather than the keeper being incompetant.Anyway to go back to your point about timing it also is difficult for managers to pick their moment - Lambert has clearly severly dented his career by leaving us at the wrong time and for the wrong club, and I guess going further back Mike Walker did the same. Both obviously had their reasons but both made poor choices on timing and destination which just shows how tricky it all is.Still one cliche I do agree with is ''its a funny old game''!

In both situations it''s a case of manager and board not having a reasonable plan. Spend too much whilst in the Premier League and fail to sell and rebuild once relegated. We end up with little to show for our excursion to the top division.We should be playing a clever game of poker rather than betting large sums on the roulette wheel.

I agree with the similarities to that relegation , and I stated so a couple of months back . However , I don''t think we played " roulette" nor did we play poker , more like delia and her buddies playing gin rummy . Players bought because they fitted their own fantasy football team , rather than buying what we needed I.e. Two good CB''s and a couple of strikers . Klose has turned out to be a right " pansy" and the only two purchases of late that have looked astute in any way are Pinto and Oliviera . Naismith , Pritchard ? Sorry but both were a waste of meagre funds , Wildschut ,, too early to say , but possibly down the same route , so in summary , our two most modest spends have proved to be the best buys 🙄

Could you make it up ?