Sign in to follow this  
Fiery Zac

Rowett

Get AN out and Rowett in NOW.

Not at the end of the season when we''ve wasted a couple of months in which we could be preparing for what will be a massive season in the clubs history. A new manager needs as much time as possible to assess the whole setup before we have another shambles of a transfer window.

Go and get Rowett before another club does.

Number 9 wrote the following post at 2017-03-05 12:48 AM:

Rowett is not the answer.

And neither is Alex Neil, by a country mile.

Never going to happen.

The board, after Hughton''s time here got it into their heads that we need to play good football to keep the fans onside. I''d argue that we just couldn''t stand ultra defensive, slow, sideways, powderpuff football and that we''d probably enjoy Rowett''s high energy, fast, counter attacking game but the board won''t be thinking that way.

I''ve always said that Norwich fans like the ball forward quickly, they like players who are good dribblers and can run with the ball and we like lots of crosses/corners/shots on target. Whole hearted, high energy battlers in midfield and defence also often become fans favourites.

I don''t think many really like the poor mans tika taka we try to play under AN but I really don''t think the board understands that

The replacement would be another lovely man who was harshly treated according to the media at a previous club like Warburton (saying nothing for his managerial abilities) or Alan Irvine of he doesn''t lose his game in charge as a caretaker.

Absolutely no chance of Rowett imo

I would''ve got rid of Neil December 2015, we probably wouldn''t have been relegated and I haven''t seen anything to change my mind since.

But, Rowett is not the answer.

Rowett, Warburton or Hodgson. But they need to do it now so the new manager can sort the wheat from the chaff for next season.

Other clubs have had nearly three months to "get Rowett", none have as yet.

His win %tage when he left Birmingham was 39.6% which is less than Neil''s is now (42.1%)

What is the attraction with him as a potential NCFC Manager-all there seems to be is "he turned Birmingham round"-what, 22nd to 10th in the Championship and outside the play off places when he was sacked.

On the logic of Rowett, we should also be clamouring for Chris Wilder-one promotion, probably two by the end of this season and a better record at three clubs than Rowett''s at Birmingham.

"Turned Birmingham around" makes him good enough for us?

Look abroad for the next manager.Different way of thinking, coaching and playing.Board won''t ever take the "risk" though.

Why would Wilder leave Sheffield Utd (his boyhood club)? If things stay as they are they will be finishing above us next season. I agree that looking abroad is the answer, it seems to have worked for Huddersfield. But it will never happen with our risk-averse BoD, who have no desire to progress in any case.

I think what attracts people to Rowett is the potential of what he could become as opposed to what he is.

He handles himself well in front of the camera, turned around a team that looked destined for League One into one that, when he left, looked well-placed for a reasonable shot at the playoffs. And he did it with less resources than other promotion-hopefuls. What then happened after he was unceremoniously dumped from Birmingham has only furthered his stock.

At the end of the day, the majority of fans believe the ultimate goal for Norwich is to become an established Premier League side. Without investment we are not going to be able to spend our way into that position as a Bournemouth are able to do and we cannot rely on a 50,000 gate to fire us into that position like Newcastle can.

The only way we can feasibly achieve what we (and allegedly the Board) want within the next 5 or so years is to unearth a great manager who can maximise the limited resources we are going to be able to make available to him. Established great managers will not consider the Norwich job and we couldn''t afford them anyway. Therefore the only option available is to unearth a manager who will be great but is not yet considered to be.

That''s why Hodgson doesn''t appeal to so many. He is a good manager. Very good at club level. But he is certainly not a great manager.

Rowett, as a young manager with several promising indicators, could achieve greatness. He may well not but the fact is, if we are genuinely ambition about becoming an established Premier League club and then building from there, we need to take a punt on a manager who might be great rather than a manager who is just good or very good.

The only issue with that is that unearthing a potentially great manager is fraught with risk. They could just as easily (in fact, they are more likely to) end up a turkey. Look at Neil for evidence of this.

I think that is a fair enough summary CanaryDan.

I like Rowett. I always have a preference for managers who''s career is trending upwards, rather than someone making the step down from the Premier League and I like to see if they can achieve without lots to spend. Rowett made Birmingham play as more than the sum of their parts, while spending less on transfers in his entire time there than we did on Naismith and that is key for me.

The hope is with a manager like him that with better players and a bigger budget he can take that next step. Of course there is always the risk that he spends badly and can''t handle the bigger egos but there is no safe bet managerial appointment.

[quote user="king canary"]I think that is a fair enough summary CanaryDan.

I like Rowett. I always have a preference for managers who''s career is trending upwards, rather than someone making the step down from the Premier League and I like to see if they can achieve without lots to spend. Rowett made Birmingham play as more than the sum of their parts, while spending less on transfers in his entire time there than we did on Naismith and that is key for me.

The hope is with a manager like him that with better players and a bigger budget he can take that next step. Of course there is always the risk that he spends badly and can''t handle the bigger egos but there is no safe bet managerial appointment.[/quote]Indeed, Two posters summing up why I believe Rowett is the best choice of those obviously available. As to the argument from another poster that no-one has come in for him since he left Birmingham City, there is no way of knowing that. He may have turned offers down. But it isn''t true anyway. Nottingham Forest wanted him, but he refused to work for the current owner. He would have taken the job if the mooted takeover had gone through, but it didn''t.

[quote user="king canary"]As purple says I believe he turned down Forest.[/quote]Which was a sensible decision. If the Forest takeover gets back on track he might well go there. But I assume he feels the best thing to do is to wait until the summer and see whether that happens, and what his options are. I imagine he is not so financially desperate that he needs to rush into a decision he might regret in a few months'' time. And that he takes into account the stability or otherwise of the owner of a club is another point in his favour, and might work for us.

This honestly feels a bit like "He''ll do because he''s available" to me. And some would take anyone apart from Alex Neil, whatever their win rate is.

Agree with that Purple- he doesn''t need to jump at the first opportunity.

I personally would like to take a look at Paul Heckingbottom too. Done a great job at Barnsley while having his best players sold from under him. Big concern would be about Barnsley''s defensive record though.

@morty

No, I think that''s what you''ve decided it is. I think CanaryDan, Purple and I have put forward some quote solid reasons for why he could be good. Fine if you don''t agree but to dismiss it as ''he''ll do'' is lazy on your part.

No its not lazy at all, its my opinion that there isn''t much between him and Alex Neil. And if we were to make a change, I would want it to be for the better.

That''s fine but you''re not exactly engaging with the points or making an argument why you don''t think he''d be an improvement.

I guess Rowett has shown he can make a team greater than the sum of its parts.

Whereas AN has spent a lot of money to put a team in a worse position than he found them - because that is now the reality.

@king.

I am basing my opinion on the fact his win rate is less than Alex Neil''s, and like it or not, has less experience than Alex Neil at Premiership level.

If you have some evidence, rather than your opinion, that he would be a good fit for us then please go ahead. Taking Birmingham to 7th in the Championship isn''t really enough to convince me, I''m afraid.

What points do you specifically want me to engage?

As you say Morty ,, AN has experience in the premiership , that being abject failure and inability to learn from his mistakes or to acknowledge them .

So rather than " poo poo " others suggestions as to a replacement for the " clown" ruining our squad currently , what do you suggest ? Or maybe who do you think would be a good replacement ?

I don''t have a suggestion, but of the available managers being named by people, in Warburton and Rowett, I really don''t see them as being any better than Alex Neil.

And I don''t buy into the Canary call reasoning of "Well he couldn''t do no worse, could he?"

one of the hardest things in football is getting a good british manager as proved by how many manage in the premiership !

only 6 are from the uk in the top flight 4 english 1 welsh and one scottish if i am correct out of 20

so maybe its time we looked aboard getting a foreign manager in like many other clubs

Ok fair enough Morty , and I agree with you on the " couldn''t be worse ". That''s nonsense , obviously somebody could possibly be worse .

Personally , I think Warburton is worth consideration , he was doing brilliantly well with a small shoestring squad at Brentford, until he was told he would not be there at the following season , unsurprisingly it all went wrong from there .

But I don''t feel so dismissive of Rowett as you do , as for the suggestion of Irvine ! That gave me a shudder !