Sign in to follow this  
sgncfc

Team for Tuesday v Bristol City

[quote user="lake district canary"]

My preferred team is not available due to injuries, so we will probably have to go the attacking route and hope that our creative players turn up and we outscore the opposition.

[/quote]

Probably not too far off what the manager is thinking.

Well the manager has said there will be changes - the question is where.

We have become noncompetitive in central midfield with neither tettey nor howson performing well or dominating the centre of the park. Neither have coped when faced with more combative players, which has also limited the influence howson can have going forward. However both keep their place as there are no alternatives.

Add in Jacob being taken off at half time in the last 2 away games and naismith not back to his pre injury best I would look to change midfield by moving to a more solid 433 or 4321.

Sadly with ever absent Mulumbu & Thompson unavailable the options are limited but i would be tempted to add some midfield graft by adding Godfrey to howson and tettey with all three having a more defensive brief to counter the fact that we wont stop throwing Dijks and Pinto forward.

The back 4 is so much harder; while the full backs pick themselves (despite the acres both constantly recklessly leave behind them at the same time) none of the centre backs inspires much confidence, but I as a far from confidence pick would go with the one untried combination of Bassong Klose - all combinations are a car crash - but Ijust dont need to see bennett back.

Who behind Jerome? Jacobs woeful contribution of the last three games means he makes way for godfrey. And I would look for some pace and guile by keeping Josh and pritchard close to Jerome.

The ever mercurial Wes doesnt deserve to be dropped at all but I would simply rest him for the weekend. That he remains, at 34, our best player is a damning indictment on the rest of the squad.

This is a narrow formation, reliant on width from the full backs, but covered by three deeper men. It wont be seen.

Ruddy

Pinto Bassong Klose Dijks

Godfrey Howson Tettey

Josh Pritchard

Jerome

Subs

McGovern Martin Whittaker Maddison Naismith, Jacob Oliveira (KL)